Put it down!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boss

The peace and tranquillity of my last fishing trip was ruined yet again by the sounds of DROP IT!!, PUT IT DOWN!!!, GET HERE, LEAVE IT followed by a splashing sound in the next peg. More GET HERE, COME OUT and other such nonsense shouts at a dog that was clearly deaf. I stood up and suggested to the owner that there was a new invention that prevented unnecessary shouting at the dog..A LEAD. The owner was not amused and suggested I go away in physical jerky movements (or words to that effect).

Some people have no decency whatsoever and the worse offenders in my books are those that do not have to pay in order to enjoy the countryside. Anglers invariably have paid twice (licence and day ticket) to be on the banks while the likes of this irresponsible moron has paid nothing. Pet hate...you bet it is.

Whinge over.feel much better.

crusty

Originally posted by The Boss

the worse offenders in my books are those that do not have to pay in order to enjoy the countryside. Anglers invariably have paid twice (licence and day ticket) to be on the banks while the likes of this irresponsible moron has paid nothing. Pet hate...you bet it is.

Whinge over.feel much better.

So what do you suggest?
Fence it all off and charge by the hour?

You pay to FISH.
You can enjoy the countryside for free. (for now)

crusty

Zebedee

My solution to any dog being exercised off the lead in any public area,would
involve a 12 bore shotgun.

wouldn't get many repeat offenders.

midge99

Park lake where idiots come to feed the ducks. There is a whold lake and they have to feed the ducks in the next peg to you.[:(!]

jus lumps

I'm a dog owner myself but it annoys me so much when other dogs come crashing thru your rods & tackle to fetch a stick from the water you are fishing. Sorry but the owners have only themselves to blame if their dogs get a size 8 barbed hook in it's paw.[:(]

Don

I remember fishing in a big dip at Colwick with my head just visible at bankside when this fecking great dog like the "Hound of the Baskervilles" almost took a piece of my face off, again unleashed and the stupid woman who had the dog then accussed me of frightening it!
I told her to look at the four foot high sign at the begining of the country park that said "keep dogs on a leash at all times" in a polite manner.

As is usualy the case she gave me a gobful so I told her the next time her dog came anywhere near me I'd gut it and use its nuts as bait. I like dogs as a rule its their owners I usualy have problems with!

bluebaitbox

Originally posted by Zebedee

My solution to any dog being exercised off the lead in any public area,would
involve a 12 bore shotgun.

wouldn't get many repeat offenders.

I hope it is just the stupid, inconsiderate owners you intend to shoot, after all the dog is just having fun doing what comes naturally.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
The Baliffs Rottweiler ate my entire tub of bait last week shortly followed by a leisurely swim accross 3 pegs, lovely.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Ive had dogs all my life Boss and I can say hand on heart they have never been an embarrasment in public. Commitment and training.
Im with you 100 percent mate. I despise irresponsible dog owners.
We had one in our street when I was working. It was let out from 6.00 onwards in the morning when the bloke went to work until that evening when they all trooped back in again.
It was a complete pain in the a**e day in day out. Chasing kids on bikes, dumping in everyones garden, several times it tried to get at Saffrons rabbits. It would run backwards and forwards in front of my garden snapping and snarling at my rott through the fence and driving him insane.
One morning when I had a job to do in Rotherham it accidently jumped into my van on the end of a chicken drumstick and was later delivered to Coventry dogs home while passing on the M42.

Minipeace

I have an extendable dog lead too :) I love them but its the mother of all extendable leads weighing in at 1 3/4 lbs. Its the giant flexi one, bright red and is the only lead made to take the punishment my Newfie dishes out!!

Round my area most owners are really good and use a time tested method called common sense!!

Last edited:

MDH

My cousin and I were attacked by a collie one day. It was totally unprovoked, the dog and its lady owner were more than 100 yards away when the dog saw us and ran straight for us. The dog tried to bite me but met my steel toecap face on so it then turned its attention to my cousin who was kicking out at it trying to defend himself. The owner eventually got to us and said, "Just ignore him, you'll be ok." She still made no attempt to leash the dog and it was still biting my cousin who again kicked the dog. The owner told him not to kick the dog to which he replied "I'm not just going to stand here and let it bite me!!" The owners reply totally shocked me at this point, she said "You obviously don't understand dogs."
I'm just glad I didn't have my daughter with me, the last thing I would've wanted to do was kill the dog but believe me, I wouldn't've hesitated in that case.

Astounded Coach

My 2 labs are absolutely fantastic, NEVER use a lead for either of them.
Rocky my chocolate lab is 13 and a trained gundog and never puts a foot wrong.
Merlin, my 9 month old Golden Lab, has progressed from being an `Andrex Puppy' and is now really coming on.
They spend all their time with me, and thats the key.
We walk our stretch of the River Teme daily, they meet anglers on the pools and they never flinch/
BUT..to get GOOD dogs takes a lot of time and effort and a lot of people just don't put enough time into them

Minipeace

You're dead right Coach, spend the time with them and they should be fine depending on breed and their hereditary background.
I have to admit though I always keep Bruce on a lead in a public area. He would not mean to harm anyone but due to his size he can knock an adult on the floor as if they were just an ant!! Newfies are slow leaners but with a great sense of protection. Not a dog for many and thankfully few try.
The only down side to having a large breed is other dog owners avoid you :( Still I met my young lady whilst walking him so its not all bad :)

I love labs they are always keen to please and are calm( well mostly :) ) non aggressive which makes them perfect dogs for many a family, and there's little work involved in grooming and they eat anything. They are easy to train and are SMALL :)I think labs are great dogs to own and then progress from if you wish.
I bet Coach you would never be without them? Its when they pass over the rainbow bridge thats just so hard to handle. I still miss my old ones.

CaRp Kidd

Speedy
when i went fishing other week a dog came started eating cat meat nd sniffing in takle for the dog biscuits lol and it wouldnt budge and the owner was just waiting for it lol

arran

LOL did i miss something tell the dog to get out

were can you buy them electric prodding sticks or even better a light sabre.
why do these people try to make you think your imposing on them and there totally
in there right to do what they want and let there dog do what they want.I now its because thei,ve never been fishing
and dont give a soot.it all boils down to us good old brits who care for other countrys and dont give a soot about making our own the best.

i have lived with and owned dogs for 37 yrs and as far has i,m conserned if the dog has no respect for you its not going to show anybody else any, these dogs are dangerous and out of control and shouldn,t be out in public unless muzzled and on leash.

Don

Have to agree bad owners= bad dogs. I regularly fish at Burton Joyce and some of the Dogs you get to know by name! The owners are usually okay as well.

One old dear had two beautiful dogs with her and they made a right fuss of me, I'd never seen these kind of dogs before so I asked what they were and I nearly choked when she said they were "Rhodesian Ridgebacks"
She'd just got back from Crufts with them and she was obviousley "well to do" as my gran would say. Well we spent a good half hour chatting about dogs and fishing and the world in general.
It was weird really as I was told that the "Ridgebacks" were nastier than a pit bull on acid by someone years ago, I swear theses two would have licked me to death if I'd have let em. Big dogs but small tails,seemed like the back end had been badly designed, none the less a lovely experience to meet both dogs and owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.