Puppies

rudd

Site Supporter
Do we as a country no longer have quarantine laws in place for dogs coming into the country?

I understand the issue has got worse since April when it became illegal in this country to sell dogs unless you were a registered breeder or the bitch was a family owned dog. This was to outlaw puppy farms but the law does not extend to farms outside of the country
Romania = EU = Pet passports!

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Another reason for lack of pups is that a lot of reputable breeders held back from having litters due to lockdown travel restrictions.
A reason for the ridiculous price hikes is that people are dumb enough to pay them.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Another reason for lack of pups is that a lot of reputable breeders held back from having litters due to lockdown travel restrictions.
A reason for the ridiculous price hikes is that people are dumb enough to pay them.
Another reason for the steep prices is some people were buying just for the lockdown, then going to sell it on, or buy to sell for a quick profit. If someone genuinely wanted a dog of a certain breed, then they may be tempted to pay the inflated prices, or breeder may know the buyer and sell at a reasonable cost as they know the pup is not going to be a commodity .

62tucker

Site Supporter
When walking dog today I came across a strange looking thing.
And she had a dog. 🤔
she asked if mine was a Bichon. I said yes. Then she said hers was a Wechon 🤷‍♂️. A cross Westie/Bichon.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
When walking dog today I came across a strange looking thing.
And she had a dog. 🤔
she asked if mine was a Bichon. I said yes. Then she said hers was a Wechon 🤷‍♂️. A cross Westie/Bichon.
There are some strange mixes ,but I like a lot of them , in fact i like most dogs lol

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mongrels or if there's a few mixes 'Heinz 57'

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I heard a bit on radio yesterday but not all of it. Someone has started a online thing to highlight puppy’s etc coming from abroad. They been selling some for £5000 and the fine if you get caught is £1000 so you can see why they do it.
Also in covid times the rules/laws have changed and you can meet and pick a dog up at a “safe place” where law was you had to see the mother and breeding facility’s etc.
Seeing the parents and the breeders home was always a recommendation, I can never recall it being law.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
Last year there was someone complaining that they bought a sick French Bulldog for £2000.
When checked by a vet, the chip showed it was a dodgy import.
The fact that it had a docked tail should have given them a clue😕

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Many years ago, we went looking for another Boxer dog, pre Max, and called to a house near Barnsley where the woman had a litter of Boxer pups for sale.
When we got there the pups were in the kitchen in a pen so we could look at them.
The house was a mess tbh but not something unexpected, however what caught my eye was the back garden and at the end of the garden was a collection of sheds and dog runs.

Anyway, we looked at the pups and one in particular caught my eye. I checked it out, looking good so far, then asked to see the bitch. She was in the yard at the back apparently.
So we were taken to the sheds and the woman went and bought the bitch out. Good condition, alert, had all the right aspects, but one thing was missing, she wasn't in milk. This was a bitch that had been bred at some point but not one that had had a litter and just come off weaning.

I asked to see the male and was pointed to a Boxer in the other shed. Nothing spectacular about him tbh, if anything he didn't seem alert and wasn't 'cat like' in his stance. I was having second thoughts and this just smacked as wrong.

Anyway, we both went back into the house with the woman and I took another long hard look at the pup, decided to go for it, paid a £50 deposit after looking at the parent's papers, and we made arrangements to call to collect at the end of the week once it turned 8 week old.

On the way out of the house I heard a whimper coming from under the stairs so pulled the understairs door open, nothing more than a closet, and in there was a scrawny looking Boxer bitch, what I could only presume was the mother as she was still with milk. The dog looked pleased to see me and went to come out when the woman pushed her back in, said she was looking after it for a friend and ushered me out of the house, my missus was already at the car.

As we drove away and turned onto the M1 my missus said to me "you're quiet", I was deep in thought. Anyway, I told her and then said I didn't want the pup.
We had a discussion, mainly about why I didn't say at the time, I didn't know why. What I did though was call the woman when we got home and told her to cancel it to which I received a foul mouthed tirade of abuse about wasting her 'fing time, who t f did I think I was, told to f' off and I wasn't getting my deposit back, you name it.
I kept calm as usual and told her to wind her neck back in and put the money towards the dog food - and walked.

My next call in the morning was to the RSPCA and I reported her. They were interested in what I told them, said they'd pay a visit, and that was that.
I don't know what happened following as we put it down to experience and after that I would never recommend anyone to buy a dog from an advert unless it was from a recognised breeder, and if a KC registered dog, then a KC registered breeder for that breed.

Buying Max was a completely different experience, I'd learned my lesson, and I made a few phone calls, got given the contact details of a respected member of the Boxer Society. He recommended a litter down near Coventry (iirc) which he knew of both the bitch and sire, and off we went.

The seller vetted us first before she'd even give us an appointment to view, and the whole process was completely different, so efficient and professional.

Max was a brilliant dog who was with us until just before his 11th birthday, no health issues whatsover until his last 6months or so, fit as a butchers dog and a good fishing companion . :)

robert d

Site Supporter
Many years ago, we went looking for another Boxer dog, pre Max, and called to a house near Barnsley where the woman had a litter of Boxer pups for sale.
When we got there the pups were in the kitchen in a pen so we could look at them.
The house was a mess tbh but not something unexpected, however what caught my eye was the back garden and at the end of the garden was a collection of sheds and dog runs.

Anyway, we looked at the pups and one in particular caught my eye. I checked it out, looking good so far, then asked to see the bitch. She was in the yard at the back apparently.
So we were taken to the sheds and the woman went and bought the bitch out. Good condition, alert, had all the right aspects, but one thing was missing, she wasn't in milk. This was a bitch that had been bred at some point but not one that had had a litter and just come off weaning.

I asked to see the male and was pointed to a Boxer in the other shed. Nothing spectacular about him tbh, if anything he didn't seem alert and wasn't 'cat like' in his stance. I was having second thoughts and this just smacked as wrong.

Anyway, we both went back into the house with the woman and I took another long hard look at the pup, decided to go for it, paid a £50 deposit after looking at the parent's papers, and we made arrangements to call to collect at the end of the week once it turned 8 week old.

On the way out of the house I heard a whimper coming from under the stairs so pulled the understairs door open, nothing more than a closet, and in there was a scrawny looking Boxer bitch, what I could only presume was the mother as she was still with milk. The dog looked pleased to see me and went to come out when the woman pushed her back in, said she was looking after it for a friend and ushered me out of the house, my missus was already at the car.

As we drove away and turned onto the M1 my missus said to me "you're quiet", I was deep in thought. Anyway, I told her and then said I didn't want the pup.
We had a discussion, mainly about why I didn't say at the time, I didn't know why. What I did though was call the woman when we got home and told her to cancel it to which I received a foul mouthed tirade of abuse about wasting her 'fing time, who t f did I think I was, told to f' off and I wasn't getting my deposit back, you name it.
I kept calm as usual and told her to wind her neck back in and put the money towards the dog food - and walked.

My next call in the morning was to the RSPCA and I reported her. They were interested in what I told them, said they'd pay a visit, and that was that.
I don't know what happened following as we put it down to experience and after that I would never recommend anyone to buy a dog from an advert unless it was from a recognised breeder, and if a KC registered dog, then a KC registered breeder for that breed.

Buying Max was a completely different experience, I'd learned my lesson, and I made a few phone calls, got given the contact details of a respected member of the Boxer Society. He recommended a litter down near Coventry (iirc) which he knew of both the bitch and sire, and off we went.

The seller vetted us first before she'd even give us an appointment to view, and the whole process was completely different, so efficient and professional.

Max was a brilliant dog who was with us until just before his 11th birthday, no health issues whatsover until his last 6months or so, fit as a butchers dog and a good fishing companion . :)
You did right Dave ,unscrupulous woman

62tucker

Site Supporter

Similar when we went looking 13 years ago. Pulled up outside this house in a old mining village but this was best house in the place. Big double drives gates with horses heads on pillars. Horse boxes. Stables at back etc. My 2 daughters went in as I refused to.
They came out 20 mins later.
Quick. Drive and started crying.
seems all small dogs for sale. And all in pens out back and the bichons we were looking for were all un groomed And tatty.
The place got done for puppy farming a few years later. But Just opened under another name.

Superted

Well, first post for many many years!! I’ve been lurking in the wings for an eternity 😄 Dave, well done on this new site, it’s taken me a long while to get into it, but it is fantastic.

We picked up this little fella two weeks ago and he has settled in very well to his “forever home.”
It wasn’t a sudden decision, we’d planned it for about 12 months and decided to get a puppy just before the six weeks holiday as my wife works in a school and would have a chunk of time to be at home with him. We had no idea at the time we would be at home as much this year, it was pure coincidence.

My first advice would be, make sure you have got time, they are relentless and it’s akin to having a new born in the house. We can’t walk him for another six weeks still, even though we are two weeks in. We are waiting for his second jabs and the recommendation was three weeks after that.

The first breeder we had lined up had all the bells and whistles. Highly recommended, even been in the newspaper etc, so we had no qualms about putting our name down ready for July. We kept in touch fairly regularly, all through the process. The agreed price was £1,100.00 which is about average for an F1 cockapoo. It was all going well, or so we thought until about a week before the litter was due. It turned out despite all the contact, we were not guaranteed a pup and she was unclear about where we were on her list. We had specifically requested a ‘red boy’. Now I realise Mother Nature is unpredictable, but we had thought if there was one in the litter, we had first refusal. However, a day before they arrived we got a message saying if we wanted a puppy her price had gone up to £1,400.00 and she had a list of frankly nonsensical reasons why. It was emotional blackmail. I immediately told my wife we wouldn’t be going ahead, which she agreed, it was an outright con!

Fortunately we had kept some other options open and another breeder had a ‘red boy’ available. They were asking £950.00 with a £150.00 holding deposit, we would be able to collect in eight weeks. It was earlier than we had planned, mid June, but by luck I am still furloughed and at home with my two daughters and our new boy.

They had all the social distancing in place on arrival. The paperwork was all in order and Mum was nearby when we arrived.

I have seen and heard some crazy prices lately for cockapoo pups but the average price is between £1k to £1.5k, google will tell you that with a quick search. Anything less and I would question why, anything more and I would say they’re ripping you off. Either way, it’s much cheaper than another baby, but just as rewarding.

Here is the new member of the clan, Barney Darkness Keen. B25B8030-DECB-45A5-827C-2E3AF04B19D7.jpeg

robert d

Site Supporter
Well, first post for many many years!! I’ve been lurking in the wings for an eternity 😄 Dave, well done on this new site, it’s taken me a long while to get into it, but it is fantastic.

We picked up this little fella two weeks ago and he has settled in very well to his “forever home.”
It wasn’t a sudden decision, we’d planned it for about 12 months and decided to get a puppy just before the six weeks holiday as my wife works in a school and would have a chunk of time to be at home with him. We had no idea at the time we would be at home as much this year, it was pure coincidence.

My first advice would be, make sure you have got time, they are relentless and it’s akin to having a new born in the house. We can’t walk him for another six weeks still, even though we are two weeks in. We are waiting for his second jabs and the recommendation was three weeks after that.

The first breeder we had lined up had all the bells and whistles. Highly recommended, even been in the newspaper etc, so we had no qualms about putting our name down ready for July. We kept in touch fairly regularly, all through the process. The agreed price was £1,100.00 which is about average for an F1 cockapoo. It was all going well, or so we thought until about a week before the litter was due. It turned out despite all the contact, we were not guaranteed a pup and she was unclear about where we were on her list. We had specifically requested a ‘red boy’. Now I realise Mother Nature is unpredictable, but we had thought if there was one in the litter, we had first refusal. However, a day before they arrived we got a message saying if we wanted a puppy her price had gone up to £1,400.00 and she had a list of frankly nonsensical reasons why. It was emotional blackmail. I immediately told my wife we wouldn’t be going ahead, which she agreed, it was an outright con!

Fortunately we had kept some other options open and another breeder had a ‘red boy’ available. They were asking £950.00 with a £150.00 holding deposit, we would be able to collect in eight weeks. It was earlier than we had planned, mid June, but by luck I am still furloughed and at home with my two daughters and our new boy.

They had all the social distancing in place on arrival. The paperwork was all in order and Mum was nearby when we arrived.

I have seen and heard some crazy prices lately for cockapoo pups but the average price is between £1k to £1.5k, google will tell you that with a quick search. Anything less and I would question why, anything more and I would say they’re ripping you off. Either way, it’s much cheaper than another baby, but just as rewarding.

Here is the new member of the clan, Barney Darkness Keen. View attachment 36679
Lovely little dog and good advice ,lots of rip off prices at the moment

cjsid

The thing is at this time is the genuine breeders are not breeding because of the lock down , also the main breeders of certain breeds have no reason to advertise as most of their litters are already sold , it is only those out to make a killing that are asking stupid prices .
I would bet that that genuine breeders are still asking the same price as before the lockdown , the ones asking inflated prices do not deserve to sell their litters , just out to rob people I know of certain breeders who have a vetting process not many people get through

robert d

Site Supporter

Here is the new member of the clan, Barney Darkness Keen. View attachment 36679
Id pay a 1000 for a dog like that but rocking horse sheet is easier to find at the minute lol