Punch up on the Trent & Mersey

IanG1

Site Supporter
Been spending my day off on Wednesday's bagging silvers on a local commercial over the past few weeks so fancied something a little different. The Trent & Mersey is on my Pride of Derby ticket and although I'd walked the stretch many times I've never fished it or seen many on the stretch around Shardlow. Whizzed up some of aldi's finest medium sliced and had a few pinkies and maggots just in case and a bit of groundbait. Arrived early and low and behold someone sat where I'd fancied fishing corn and flake????? So went 50 yards further on and plonked down opposite a boat. Set up 2 rigs, top kit plus 2 for punch down the track and another for 11.5m at bottom of far shelf where I fed a ball of groundbait with a few pinkies as a back up.
Fed a bit of sloppy bread and out on a 5mm punch and float buried first chuck just as it says in the books. I had bites all day with odd looks on the longer line where I caught the odd skimmer but slow over there. Topped the bread line sparingly and a nice day calling it a wrap at 100 fish.
The peg
IMG_20201111_144332.jpg

Simple bait tray
IMG_20201111_144346.jpg

Mostly red fins, largest 5oz ish
IMG_20201111_150536.jpg

Called it a day when I hit the ton
IMG_20201111_150022.jpg

Flathead

Site Supporter
Nice catch

Used to fish there regularly over 40 years ago!

There used to be a lot of Chub round Shardlow.....remember a report about John Wadham catching 30 Chub one day on lobworm!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Crackin net o redfins well done

Pickard1

Nice net of canal silvers there.

Is there anywhere around there on the Trent and Mersey that is day ticket?

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Nice catch, though I was expecting to see bloodied noses and missing teeth.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Nice catch

Used to fish there regularly over 40 years ago!

There used to be a lot of Chub round Shardlow.....remember a report about John Wadham catching 30 Chub one day on lobworm!

Good old John Wadham, can remember him fishing for pike on fly, in the Trent at least 20 years ago. Used to work for the EA then - is he still alive anyone know

Flathead

Site Supporter
Good old John Wadham, can remember him fishing for pike on fly, in the Trent at least 20 years ago. Used to work for the EA then - is he still alive anyone know
He is indeed....still Chairman or president of Rutland Fly fishers and I think he still does some guiding....moved to near Rutland when he retired

Rick123

Site Supporter
He is indeed....still Chairman or president of Rutland Fly fishers and I think he still does some guiding....moved to near Rutland when he retired

Lives in his converted camper on the water. Guess he thinks like me about the old days on the place. 120,000+ fish stocked in those days, and you would catch many overwintered fish. Now its 50,000 (last time I asked) and the fish all get caught on stocking days, so bloody sad I really miss the wonderful almost wild trout fishing at Rutland.