Pulling out of fish.

nejohn

Site Supporter
one thing you could try is go to a slightly lighter elastic but double it up at the bung end, makes it nice and soft when you 1st hit the fish but once the doubled up length comes in to play it gives you a bit of stopping power, I have a couple of top kits set up like this they work well if you are catching smaller fish with the chance of something larger

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Yeah that would be great, last night I went to birkwood fisheries in Altofts. Are you a wakie lad? Any other fisheries you recommend around the area?

Only been to birkwood and over to torne bank with a pal a while back.
I’m in Huddersfield not fished Birkwood for some time, Ben Lee at Horbury is about halfway but is matched up over the weekends usually.
But I’m on Furlough for another week or so if you fancy a day.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Only one person mentioned the hook??

Yes, I know, was just generalising mate. How many times has something like that happened on the bank, only to hear anglers blaming the hook and nothing else. They never think about elastic.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
It does sound like foul hookers.

Another possibility that seems to affect some people (but others are oblivious to or unaffected by) is when the line goes round the back of the spade whilst fishing. ie. if you tie a hook with the line on the inside of the shank (same side as the hook bend) and the knot then slips so the line comes off the back of the hook shank - this can cause missed bites, bumped and lost fish.

JLK

Couple of things to determine.
How deep was the peg?
How were you feeding?
If the pegs are shallow and you are throwing pellets/maggots over the top of your float then you will foul hook fish for sure if you are fishing deeper than the fish are feeding.

If you want to catch them as close to the bottom as possible, providing they want to feed lower down, then cup everything in under the water, so as not to make a noise. Ease the bait in. If you make a noise they look up and start to come up in the water. If you are fishing underneath them or you lay your rig in the water you can and will lay it on a fish and when the float goes you will think it's a bite when it's a liner. You'll strike and hook anywhere but the lip.
Try fish the jigger method or lower your rig in to start with fishing full depth and see how you go from there. Slowly start shallowing up if your not getting bites until you start to get proper bites.
Think about how you are feeding and what's happening under the water in relation to where the fish may be.

Steve88

I’m in Huddersfield not fished Birkwood for some time, Ben Lee at Horbury is about halfway but is matched up over the weekends usually.
But I’m on Furlough for another week or so if you fancy a day.
Went to Ben Lee on Monday night didn't stay too long only took my pole and it was far too windy to try and present a bait, got caught on a few snags, lost my favourite plummet so went home ??

Steve88

Couple of things to determine.
How deep was the peg?
How were you feeding?
If the pegs are shallow and you are throwing pellets/maggots over the top of your float then you will foul hook fish for sure if you are fishing deeper than the fish are feeding.

If you want to catch them as close to the bottom as possible, providing they want to feed lower down, then cup everything in under the water, so as not to make a noise. Ease the bait in. If you make a noise they look up and start to come up in the water. If you are fishing underneath them or you lay your rig in the water you can and will lay it on a fish and when the float goes you will think it's a bite when it's a liner. You'll strike and hook anywhere but the lip.
Try fish the jigger method or lower your rig in to start with fishing full depth and see how you go from there. Slowly start shallowing up if your not getting bites until you start to get proper bites.
Think about how you are feeding and what's happening under the water in relation to where the fish may be.
Peg was 3 to 4 foot deep, started to feed using a cad pot around 6 to 10 pellets at a time, was flicking the rig away from me, holding the float out of the water until it looked like the line had straightened up a bit then lowering the float.

I then started throwing the pellets in to practice (useless throwing with my left arm) but I had lost the magority of the fish beforehand anyway, one of the other reasons I thought the fish were feeding at the bottom cause there was a lot of bubbles/fizzing going on within 3m either side of my peg.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Went to Ben Lee on Monday night didn't stay too long only took my pole and it was far too windy to try and present a bait, got caught on a few snags, lost my favourite plummet so went home ??
You don’t say which lake you were on but the offer still stands.

Steve88

You don’t say which lake you were on but the offer still stands.
I couldn't tell you, and looking on the website I'm none the wiser, was a round lake with one round island in the middle with a short snake lake behind it before you get to the road if that makes sense

mimississ

Site Supporter
One day fishing a local pond and had a carp on for ages,, eventually pulled out of it,, foul hooked I swung my rig in to take off the scale and horrified to find out it was an eye,,,, poor fish,,, I packed up totally mortified,, it took me ages to feel right,,, wimp or wot!!!!

Steve88

One day fishing a local pond and had a carp on for ages,, eventually pulled out of it,, foul hooked I swung my rig in to take off the scale and horrified to find out it was an eye,,,, poor fish,,, I packed up totally mortified,, it took me ages to feel right,,, wimp or wot!!!!
I think I'd feel the same tbf, got into fishing because of my little lad wanting to go, he won't strike at bites properly because "he doesn't want to hurt the fish", he's a good one though has a wander round the lake and brings all the rubbish back people have left so we can dispose of it properly

Steve88

The lake didn't have any set pegs, but like I said was far too windy and choppy to present a bait with pole, it was the first time I have been so didn't have a clue where to go/which lake to fish.

I will try one of the others next time.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
You say they were F1 ,if they were all F1 then your elastic is wrong and so was the way you were feeding and laying the rig in.
10 solid is to pingy , even if you hooked them properly in their mouth ,they need to be able to go on a long run once hooked and a gradual slow down, 6-10 NG white elastic or Keepnets direct orange 6-10 which is slightly stronger, then the fish will bolt and gradually come under control, number 10 elastic they are going off on their first run and elastic has not got enough stretch.
For feeding try feeding just 6 -8 pellets from a tosspot,pause for a few seconds,, keeping the rig out of the water, then slowly lower it down in a straight line keeping control as it is lowered, if they are up they will yank the elastic out, if they are on the bottom you should get a bite as soon as it hits bottom,.
Don't feed and lower your rig down at the same time if fishing on the bottom, you can feed and lower it down if you are fishing shallow ie 18 inches.

If they were carp then probably foul hookers, if they were F1 then wrong elastic and wrong feeding , also don't lay your rig in sideways( foul hookers), lower it straight down.

Steve88

You say they were F1 ,if they were all F1 then your elastic is wrong and so was the way you were feeding and laying the rig in.
10 solid is to pingy , even if you hooked them properly in their mouth ,they need to be able to go on a long run once hooked and a gradual slow down, 6-10 NG white elastic or Keepnets direct orange 6-10 which is slightly stronger, then the fish will bolt and gradually come under control, number 10 elastic they are going off on their first run and elastic has not got enough stretch.
For feeding try feeding just 6 -8 pellets from a tosspot,pause for a few seconds,, keeping the rig out of the water, then slowly lower it down in a straight line keeping control as it is lowered, if they are up they will yank the elastic out, if they are on the bottom you should get a bite as soon as it hits bottom,.
Don't feed and lower your rig down at the same time if fishing on the bottom, you can feed and lower it down if you are fishing shallow ie 18 inches.

If they were carp then probably foul hookers, if they were F1 then wrong elastic and wrong feeding , also don't lay your rig in sideways( foul hookers), lower it straight down.
All the fish we managed to land were F1's. I've since ordered some different elastic due to earlier comments, the lake was a snake lake type so a slope away from me, I thought when the bottom sloped away you flicked it out in front of you and waited for it to settle? Complicated old game this fishing

Total

Site Supporter
I once had a match that nearly made me 'pack it in'. Every put in I was hooking fish playing them for a few seconds and then the hook was pulling. It took me about two days to calm down and I then decided that they were foul hookers. It was just 'one of those days' the swim was solid with fish and no matter what I did I could not avoid foul hooking them. In retrospect there were several things I ought to have tried, fishing to the edge of the feeding area, potting in several full cups to get their heads down etc etc. But we have all experienced 'matchman's rage' when rhyme and reason go out the window.:cry:

Was this the day you had to part with two or more nuggets to our Peter, Dave and others?:whistle:;):love: