Pulling out of fish.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Not sure I'm still quite new to fishing, so knowledge is limited it wasn't until I read some of the posts about foul hookers that info sort of popped into my head
If they were liners and foulhookers, it negates most answers to do with elastic, hooks, etc ?‍♂️

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The fact that fish were landed shows it's not the hook, too many jump to conclusions and blame the sharp little metal bit but if it was the hook you wouldn't have landed any.

Steve88

If they were liners and foulhookers, it negates most answers to do with elastic, hooks, etc ?‍♂️
I had shotted my rig with a small strung out bulk, shot 20mm apart, I could see when I was getting little liners but some of them looked more like bites, if I'm having this issue in the future would I be better swapping to a strung out shot through the rig and fish through the water, to find where the fish are?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The fact that fish were landed shows it's not the hook, too many jump to conclusions and blame the sharp little metal bit but if it was the hook you wouldn't have landed any.
Only one person mentioned the hook??

Steve88

Wasn't so much the hook I was questioning, was more my hand tied hair rigs, wasn't sure if maybe I had the band too high/low and this was causing issues?

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I had shotted my rig with a small strung out bulk, shot 20mm apart, I could see when I was getting little liners but some of them looked more like bites, if I'm having this issue in the future would I be better swapping to a strung out shot through the rig and fish through the water, to find where the fish are?

How many top kits do you have? Try setting 2 up, one with shot bulked and another with strung out shot and try them both, see which produces most.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
You’d be better off having a Jigga set up, best way of finding depth F1,s are at ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Wasn't so much the hook I was questioning, was more my hand tied hair rigs, wasn't sure if maybe I had the band too high/low and this was causing issues?
More likely the fish swimming into the line and wrapping around the fish causing foul hookers .

Steve88

Only 3 at the moment, and all with different elastics in, not sure if that was the right thing to do either to be honest, might be better just having one for the margin and 2 with the same elastic for further out.

ukzero1

Site Supporter

Then when tying a banded hair, put a pellet in the band before whipping the hook. That way you can get the the hook and haired pellet the right distance apart every time.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Sounds like foul hookers/liners when you say as soon as you fed pellets the float would shoot under. Try fishing shallow next time this happens and keep a tight line between the float and the pole. Lots of them fish will hook themselves.

As you say you are fairly new to fishing and there is so many ways of catch different species. F1's will usually feed up in the water in the summer months. Use a softish elastic for them and strike gently at every move on the float even if it's just a tiny dip.

Steve88

Then when tying a banded hair, put a pellet in the band before whipping the hook. That way you can get the the hook and haired pellet the right distance apart every time.
Yeah that's a good tip, I've ordered a hair rig hook tyer to help, was just happy that when I hooked one in the mouth the hook didn't unravel

Steve88

Sounds like foul hookers/liners when you say as soon as you fed pellets the float would shoot under. Try fishing shallow next time this happens and keep a tight line between the float and the pole. Lots of them fish will hook themselves.

As you say you are fairly new to fishing and there is so many ways of catch different species. F1's will usually feed up in the water in the summer months. Use a softish elastic for them and strike gently at every move on the float even if it's just a tiny dip.
I might try that next time I go from the get go, I've never fished shallow before so need to develop a skill

ukzero1

Site Supporter
When fishing shallow, don't strike, just lift. If you strike, you'll finish up in a right tangle and it'll mean setting up again if you're not used to untangling rigs.

Steve88

@Steve88 where are you fishing I see your in Wakey I’m just down the road if you fancy a day out give me a shout.
Yeah that would be great, last night I went to birkwood fisheries in Altofts. Are you a wakie lad? Any other fisheries you recommend around the area?

Only been to birkwood and over to torne bank with a pal a while back.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
I would leave the Jigga for now until you get a little more skill and knowledge, stick to a short float for now end experiment with that