Pulling out of fish.

Steve88

Just got back from a few hours on the bank with the little un, the picture is the biggest we had of the night.

Unfortunately I pulled out of quite a few fish, I was using a 10 solid elastic with b911 hook length with a pellet band, could this be the hook I was using or an incorrectly tied hair rig?

Never lost a hook or snapped hook length.

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_205652_577.jpg
    IMG_20200630_205652_577.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 11

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Personally I don’t like solids, unless I’m trying to stop fish in their tracks,ie 18-20....in 8-10,10-12 etc hollow is a lot more forgiving, and I find you don’t get as many hook pulls... Then again they might not of been hooked properly, sometimes, carp have very deformed mouths in commercials, and you can’t get a proper hook hold ..sometimes they might be foulhookers...but I would be looking at your elastic choice

Steve88

I got one foul hooker to the net so you might be right with a few of the others being foul hooked, one of the fish I hooked just screamed off down the lake and the came off, one of them I think I pulled a bit to hard under the net, but the rest just came off with out me pulling never mind too hard, I'll look at getting some hollow elastic, I got all solid as it was cheaper and I had spent quite a bit on tackle at the time.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I got one foul hooker to the net so you might be right with a few of the others being foul hooked, one of the fish I hooked just screamed off down the lake and the came off, one of them I think I pulled a bit to hard under the net, but the rest just came off with out me pulling never mind too hard, I'll look at getting some hollow elastic, I got all solid as it was cheaper and I had spent quite a bit on tackle at the time.
Other people may have other ideas, but I would try a hollow in one top and see how you fare ??‍♂️

Paul.P

Its a common known fact that B911's do tend to spring open , & some people just can't get on with them, me included. I used to lose fish after fish using them, changed the pattern of hook & the difference was amazing, virtually no lost fish, but its not the same for everyone, some people swear by these hooks, so its a bit of trial & error i'm afraid.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I once had a match that nearly made me 'pack it in'. Every put in I was hooking fish playing them for a few seconds and then the hook was pulling. It took me about two days to calm down and I then decided that they were foul hookers. It was just 'one of those days' the swim was solid with fish and no matter what I did I could not avoid foul hooking them. In retrospect there were several things I ought to have tried, fishing to the edge of the feeding area, potting in several full cups to get their heads down etc etc. But we have all experienced 'matchman's rage' when rhyme and reason go out the window.:cry:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Other people may have other ideas, but I would try a hollow in one top and see how you fare ??‍♂️
I agree ,i had the same problem sunday ,should have won the match ,using a soft red hollow size 12 hook with large sweet corn . A lot of fish had deformed mouths ,missing lips . I played most gently had them on a good while then ping hook pulls out . Guru hook mwg . Hollows are the way to go as Gazza has said unless you need stopping ability for bad snags

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Its a common known fact that B911's do tend to spring open , & some people just can't get on with them, me included. I used to lose fish after fish using them, changed the pattern of hook & the difference was amazing, virtually no lost fish, but its not the same for everyone, some people swear by these hooks, so its a bit of trial & error i'm afraid.
It's a confidence thing I think mate. The first time I tried barbless hooks I lost my first two fish and swore I would never use them again. Now I would not use anything else.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I agree ,i had the same problem sunday ,should have won the match ,using a soft red hollow size 12 hook with large sweet corn . A lot of fish had deformed mouths ,missing lips . I played most gently had them on a good while then ping hook pulls out . Guru hook mwg . Hollows are the way to go as Gazza has said unless you need stopping ability for bad snags
Side pullers are also a blessing as you can have your elastic set really light but stiffen it up almost instantaneously.

Steve88

I'm going to order som guru slwg hooks and give them a try, thanks for the advice.

adriang

Site Supporter
1 or 2 soon after striking but the majority felt like the hook had been set before they came out
As mentioned previously, sounds like you were getting liners, its worth experimenting with depth to see if you can catch on the drop, keeping the hook bait moving through the water so it mimics loose feed, that kind of thing.

Hook loosing hold can happen more with barbless hooks, especially on the pole when unshipping as it can give a moment of slack line which can cause the hook to dislodge, thats all about trying to be as smooth as possible, and practice makes perfect.

Steve88

sounds like foul hookers, to many fish in the swim , if this happens try putting a lead/feeder in the same area and only lift the rod when the fish is properly on, I always set a rod up on commercial carp waters for days like that.
I've got a feeling you could be right, I've never missed so many "bites" I'm not the best fisherman but I missed she'd loads of what looked more like bites than liners, the f1 were a decent stamp so may have looked more like a bite than a liner.

Also may have just been coincidence but I was originally just cupping in around 6 to 10 6mm pellets, tried loose feeding sometimes when I loose fed the float would shoot straight under just after the pellets hit the water, so the fish may have been higher up than I thought.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I've got a feeling you could be right, I've never missed so many "bites" I'm not the best fisherman but I missed she'd loads of what looked more like bites than liners, the f1 were a decent stamp so may have looked more like a bite than a liner.

Also may have just been coincidence but I was originally just cupping in around 6 to 10 6mm pellets, tried loose feeding sometimes when I loose fed the float would shoot straight under just after the pellets hit the water, so the fish may have been higher up than I thought.
Why didn’t you give that info in your original post ??? Got a huge bearing on things ?‍♂️?‍♂️

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I doubt very much this is a hook problem and tend to agree more with the suggestions of the elastic. Go over to a hollow of the same rating and you'll see a big difference.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Most likely fouls hookers I would say. Especially whe you say one screamed off down the lake then came off, thats the typical foul hooked fish. If there's a few fish there and your'e fishing a banded pellet the hook is bare so easy to get caught in the fin or tail etc while they're competing for food. Maybe fish to the edge of the feeding area, where there might not be as many fish, feed less or shallow up. If you were fishing down the edge try to get as close to the bank as possible (y)