Pulling Out of Bream

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyM

Hi, I was fishing my local commercial yesterday , and when landing bream of aroud 1/ 1.5lb the hook pulled [:(] This happened for around 5 fish, and also , I was fishing at 11m and when bringing the bream in they came straight to the surface and kited along with around 3ft of elastic out the end of the pole ? The elastic was preston original 8 slip ,what was I doing wrong ? thanks[:T][:H]

Last edited:

supersuperleeds

Could be that with all the elastic out you are letting the line go slack which lets them shed the hook, or the complete opposite, it could be that you are trying to get them in too quickly and pulling the hook out yourself

pole addict

Skimmers have notoriously soft mouths.

You need to fish a solid 5 or 6 elastic for fish that size and take it nice and steady when shipping back.

Bream dont usually fight too hard because they aren't built for speed, hence they rise to the surface and just lay there. But you cant ship back too quickly or the hook will pull as you have found.

The Runner

Site Supporter
I'd be tempted to go down to a 5 or 6 elastic for that size fish , assuming there aren't too many carp to worry about.
Often seem to get that "straight to the surface" lethargic thing at this time of year (think it might be down to lower oxygen levels ?)
Whatever causes it, it makes them easy to drop as the elastic virtually stops working.

0lly

Out of intrest what hook were you using? I use a 8 maver pure latex and have little problems pulling out of bream. I also use a 10 preston slip and have no problems with skimmers from 4oz to 4lb. As has been said above, you may be alittle eager when shipping back in, take your time with them as they do have very soft mouths and do a good job of pretending to be a empty tesco plastic bag when coming in. I use a PR24 in sizes 18 and 16 so as soft as it sounds lt might be worth looking at the hook.

JonnyM

Thanks for the replys,I think i may have been shipping back too fast thinking of it , thanks for the help [:T] also, the hook was a size 16 maver mt3

Waggy8

you could always try stepping down a hook size aswell if the problem continues, a smaller hook generally offers a better hold.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
Lay on the deck a bit as this will allow the bream to take the bait a bit more securely.

Status
Not open for further replies.