Pulla Bung for light elastic/silvers

bris

Been watching a few vids and noticed Des Shipp amongst a few others, use pulla bungs rather than side pullers when using light elastics.
Is there a reason why?
I ask because I have a couple of match top kits to elasticate with some slip 6 elastic for silvers fishing and was going to get side pullers fitted to them, but having seen some top anglers still using pulla bungs for light elastics, I’m not sure whether too.

endpeg

When fishing for Silvers with a solid 6 elastic you rarely need to use the pulla.
It's there incase you hook a big fish.
Most Carp will snap you off anyway!

JLK

It's because the match kits on their poles top kits are not drilled for side pullas and have a smaller tip bore suited to these top kits.
I use bottom only pulla bungs in my match kits for Preston solid slip 3/5 and 6.

bris

Ok understood, so best to use a pulla bung for light elastics. My match kits do have a wrap on them for a side puller and just thought may be better as always a chance of hooking a big carp and then getting in it with a side puller

Keith Sparky

Ok understood, so best to use a pulla bung for light elastics. My match kits do have a wrap on them for a side puller and just thought may be better as always a chance of hooking a big carp and then getting in it with a side puller
No you can still use kits with side pullas but preston match kits don't have side pullas so an old style pulla bung is used instead...

bris

No you can still use kits with side pullas but preston match kits don't have side pullas so an old style pulla bung is used instead...
I’ve got a few daiwa match kits which are ready wrapped for a side puller, but have no side puller fitted. Hence after seeing some top anglers in vids using pulla bungs on light elastics, It made me wonder if it’s worth getting side pullers fitted to these or just use pulla bungs for light elastics

Keith Sparky

You can do either on your daiwa kits.....pulla bungs at the bottom of the section are fine but sometimes get in the way when you rejoining the top kit to your pole....if you have a wrap I would tend to fit a side pulla as they are a bit neater....on my current preston match kits I just use a bottom pulla bung on a number 5 duraslip....I have found that its handy to have a pulla even on very light elastic to just bring a little bit more control on a bonus fish

ATTICUS FINCH

My Preston pole has side pullers for the carp too twos but the match top threes aren't ,so I have put in bottom end pullers , I wouldn't have my match tops without a puller ,more chance of landing that bonus fish that can turn up.

Jonnie987

If you already have a wrap then put a small bush like the middy one in
With light match top kits keep everything as neat and light as possible to avoid unbalance

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's because the match kits on their poles top kits are not drilled for side pullas and have a smaller tip bore suited to these top kits.
I use bottom only pulla bungs in my match kits for Preston solid slip 3/5 and 6.
That Preston solid is lovely stuff isn’t it ? My mate Nicky Dodds put me onto it. The smoothest elastic I’ve ever used. Brilliant stuff. 👍