Pull for a break

Line Clip

I think we all know the consequence of getting your pole rig snagged, with the dangers of the float or other flying
back into your face,
So out comes the wrapped up towel etc.
Whats the best when the feeder is snagged, can pulling directly back to the reel with the rod straight damage the reel or roller on the bail arm
is it better to grab the line, or ------------

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I point the rod at the snag, hold the spool/bailarm steady with one hand and walk backwards. You shouldn't exert enough pressure on the reel to do any damage unless you're using crazy strong gear.

If you're really that worried the wrap then line above the rod tip around something strong (say a metal bankstick) and pull from there so there's no pressure on the rod / reel at all.

Last edited:

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I'd always grab the line outside of the rod in a piece of cloth or towel and pull to the side, not directly at the feeder. Safest way to do it.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
If I have to pull for a break with rod and line I always take the line round one of the legs of my box and walk to one side.

I have a long landing net handle with a hook on the end to use with pole tackle. Ninety per cent of the time, if I hook it as far down the elastic or line as I can, and twist several times, the hook pulls out.

Line Clip

I point the rod at the snag, hold the spool/bailarm steady with one hand and walk backwards. You shouldn't exert enough pressure on the reel to do any damage unless you're using crazy strong gear.

If you're really that worried the wrap the line above the rod tip around something strong (say a metal bankstick) and pull from there so there's no pressure on the rod / reel at all.
I got snagged close to an island on a under water snag with a method feeder, hook length was 4inch to elasticated feeder, 8lbs main line,
I did as you say point the rod at snag etc the line broke above the feeder, so I assume the feeder itself was snagged, I was casting 40 mtres and it
let go at the feeder, so thankfully did not leave any trailing line,
It was the force needed that concerned me regarding the reel. Thanks.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
i pull directly but stand to the side incase it flies back
Yep same here 👍🏻

Much less chance of getting hit with a feeder than float given the extra weight and usually distance but it’s going hurt if it does get you so best that you get out of the way 😅

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
What do you do then if he’s busy or not about? Sit there all day not fishing until he comes
True doesn’t seem a very sensible option to me 😂 plus you should only break off a foot tops of hooklength or even just the hook which won’t do much harm.

and always lower your arms and keep them below waist height!!
Well I go well below waist height or stomach height as I don’t fancy taking a hit immediately below waist height 😅

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
@ silverfish, i have to aim below my knees for total safety :ROFLMAO:

@ Stik From memory he didnt lose his eye no but i didnt click on the news clipping

davylad

Site Supporter
Like most I found out the hard way, a float somehow broke in two and both pieces almost went through one of my fingers. Ouch, very painful getting them out, but it could have been a lot worse.