Provisional Euros Squad

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anyone that's fit enough.
The way the season is panning out with matches every 2-3 days, there will be a lot of worn out and injured players at the end of it and I'm sure that clubs will be hoping that their players don't get called up to allow for some rest and recuperation.
Way to soon to even think about potential squads.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
It was more of a hypothetical question as to who you would like to see go based on their ability and form.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Wouldn't know where to start anymore to be honest, suffice to say no'1 keeper may be up for grabs again. Also dependent if Gareth is going to start treating players equally again (inconsistent punishments) and get Greenwood down the right where he should be, with him right and Stirling left, would see us have a little less predictability and be able to mix it up a bit in terms of attacking threats.

Shaw also lost a bit favour too when he went injured from a squad, no different to many in doing that, hasn't been picked since, but might be knocking on the door again.

He doesn't seem keen on Bassaka either, ok, 'attempted' the most tackles in the prem so far isn't may be a stat that suggests these are tackles that were also won, but at least he is one rarity nowadays of a player who can get to ground and tackle.

Like the youth approach he has nurtured somewhat, but in the international games there have been, we must have played more players than most, why we went out of the nations cup for me.

It's a timely question though, are any like Walker nearing the end or not flexible enough for when we go from back 4/5 to a 3?

There is something niggling me in these times of a favoured youth approach and that's yes, the number of games referred to above and that not all of these players are getting regular starts at their clubs, so picking on form may prove difficult yes.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Grealish got to go. Rashford will be in. Sterling be in
Still a lot of places up for grabs to be fair.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
Wouldn't know where to start anymore to be honest, suffice to say no'1 keeper may be up for grabs again. Also dependent if Gareth is going to start treating players equally again (inconsistent punishments) and get Greenwood down the right where he should be, with him right and Stirling left, would see us have a little less predictability and be able to mix it up a bit in terms of attacking threats.

Shaw also lost a bit favour too when he went injured from a squad, no different to many in doing that, hasn't been picked since, but might be knocking on the door again.

He doesn't seem keen on Bassaka either, ok, 'attempted' the most tackles in the prem so far isn't may be a stat that suggests these are tackles that were also won, but at least he is one rarity nowadays of a player who can get to ground and tackle.

Like the youth approach he has nurtured somewhat, but in the international games there have been, we must have played more players than most, why we went out of the nations cup for me.

It's a timely question though, are any like Walker nearing the end or not flexible enough for when we go from back 4/5 to a 3?

There is something niggling me in these times of a favoured youth approach and that's yes, the number of games referred to above and that not all of these players are getting regular starts at their clubs, so picking on form may prove difficult yes.
Some good points raised there.

I totally agree about the goalkeeper spot being up for grabs. I don’t rate Pickford at all, despite good performances in the last Tournament he has shown time and time again that he is too prone to errors at club level. I personally would be looking at Pope as the number 1, he made an error against City last week but has consistently shown himself to be a good solid goalkeeper.
Third goalkeeper I would imagine may be Henderson?

I’m not sure if he will take Greenwood as I think he needs more games, his quality is unquestionable though.
Southgate will have a dilemma on that left hand side with Sterling, Foden, Grealish and Rashford all playing that position.

I think Luke Shaw has had a decent season and deserves to go, left back position will be out of him or Chilwell who could fall out of favour at Chelsea with the new gaffer.
AWB is probably the best defensive option we have at right back but unsure of his attacking credentials, Southgate may favour him against the bigger teams?

Regarding Walker I think he will take him as he has filled in at centre half before and we have a lack of options in that department in my opinion.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Who’s going to be the midfielders where in the past we have had world class or near world class players?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Agree 100%. @Trent_Fisher Keeper wise. Depends on what he is picking on.

Current game time? Pope/Pickford, Henderson

Current overall form? Where do you start on that one, and all keepers are under a larger microscope than other positions and all have an error in them, the more game they have had, the larger the microscope and potential for an error by rule of time average.

Experience? (also being no indication of future promise however) Pickford, Henderson, Pope.

DFL

Site Supporter
We have an abundance of exciting young talent at the moment, picking a squad won't be easy.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
Agree 100%. @Trent_Fisher Keeper wise. Depends on what he is picking on.

Current game time? Pope/Pickford, Henderson

Current overall form? Where do you start on that one, and all keepers are under a larger microscope than other positions and all have an error in them, the more game they have had, the larger the microscope and potential for an error by rule of time average.

Experience? (also being no indication of future promise however) Pickford, Henderson, Pope.
Agree with the first 2 points made but not sure I agree with the last. Pickford is obviously the most experienced but I would argue that Pope is a more experienced keeper than Henderson.
He’s 5 years older and has a good 3 seasons of solid PL experience.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
We have an abundance of exciting young talent at the moment, picking a squad won't be easy.
I think much of the issue is a lack of balance. We have great young players in the wide positions or creative attacking midfielders but only really Rice, Henderson and possibly Phillips to hold.

Trent_Fisher

Site Supporter
Could be a good shout. I’m not convinced that he is good enough for international level but I would say we lack an out and out forward other than Kane in the squad. Ings goes for me if he stays fit.

We have a few like Rashford and Greenwood who play there but prefer coming in off the wing to score.

It’s a shame Vardy has retired.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
It is and it isn't (Vardy), yes in that would have been useful still, but its that term 'useful' was played as a last 20 and second fiddle to Kane, which may have made his decision to 'retire' from England.

It isn't in terms of dropping out of squads regularly only to be fit for Leicester some days later in many cases. Writing was on the wall and cited family time being important and looking to prolong his club career, a decision that looks to have been the right one on that score.

Not a decision to 'retire' from England i can ever look favourably on however, with any of them in that category to be fair who did the same.

H T B

Site Supporter
Northants, you’re off the Mark with JV
He was getting pissed off with the way he was being treated by the hierarchy
Also, season after we won the league certain Spurs players wouldn’t pass to him.
Looking at you Delle Ali (not a nice chap)

On a personal note, I’m glad he’s retired from international football as we are finding it bloody difficult in finding a replacement

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Ok mate, but the words family and commitments beyond England were used and by Vardy when he announced his retirement in an interview on an England game night.
His words was what i based my post on.

I mentioned how he didn't like his treatment too.

Either way right decision for Jamie and Leicester (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
I know some will say I am biased but if Callum Wilson is not on the plane it will be an absolute crime as an all round front man there are few better at the minute, he finishes well, got pace and strength, he holds the ball well, his off the ball movement is good and he also contributes when the team are not going forward. Maybe he wouldn't be 1st choice but a much better and more intelligent player than a lot of the alternatives mentioned
Also we talk about current form if we are serious about choosing players on form then why are we not mentioning Carl Darlow as and alternative to the sad makem