Pros and cons of park lakes

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Lymm Dam must be one of the buisiest places ive ever fished out of control dogs kids and parents walking around all day even in bad weather
I used to put matches on there , The winters series wasn't to bad , The summer series could be plagued with kids and dogs .
I ended up putting a few matches on the Baycliffe side and also " the stones" , this leads to the Nook , but no one can get behind you.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I fancy fishing Mote Park but keep hearing too many stories of bankside idiocy, people under the influence causing aggro, nicked tackle and the pressures of other water users.

Going to do some less local commies instead I think.
I fish Mote Park regularly and have never had a problem down by the boatyard where I go. Sure there are plenty of members of the public, and a few (commonly Mums with their youngsters )who stop by for a friendly chat. Most are genuinely interested in the fish species and fishing issues. One Korean lady borrowed my landing net so she could retrieve a Tesco shopping bag that some lager louts had dumped in the lake a few yards away. As for the dogs (aren't they supposed to be on a leash?), they can be an irritant but that is occasionally rather than regularly. I've caught and landed bream while a German Shepherd has been paddling around grinning in my swim (just bet he was having a quiet pee). Small dogs seems to be the most keen to get wet and splash around before, and after, trying to sample my bait. The owners shout at the mutts and apologise (mostly)
Also the amateur canoeists can be a pain and last but by no means the least annoying, are the radio controlled speedboat operatives who constantly go outside their prescribed operational area limits. These individuals meet regularly for races and other noisy events. This does not enhance my calm! I avoid going fishing there on a Saturday which seems the most popular day for the meeting of such dorks!

inky finger

Like Paulmk5 I to am close to Furzton lake which used to be a favourite but now the hotel carpark is payment only... £10.. no consessions and they are closing the free carparks at short notice to stop workers nearby using them so your car can get trapped if you are not careful. It is also full of Bivvy/ drunk dope fiends the local police drug dogs nose's would probably explode on a walk round it. The Bivvy guys have stopped us having access to the far side a few years ago when they had parties and left rubbish every. we lost that within 6mths. They were stopped from fishing the shallows as they put a big lead into a garage on the far bank so new rules had to come in on that section...all Bivvy unfriendly. The lake is also full of weed and is constantly gin clear with catches suffering badly. There used to be a lot of pleasure anglers on there but now it's just Bivvies except on match days when sections can be won with a pound or two with one person sitting on a shoal of bream. Two things anglers don't know how easy it is to lose fishing rights (i sadly give Furzton and Willian lake 5 years before the developers or the idiots get there way). Secondly I'm also glad I have access to another big lake that has real quality silvers in it. Just have to watch the speed/power boats. The other one (Newbury, beautiful but now carp mad) and with the price of fuel probably going to sadly not re-new after fishing it since the 80's. Off for a much needed lie down or to check wether i have low blood sugar!!!

Simon R

Site Supporter
When I started fishing in the late 70s the local park lakes were life savers - they were within cycling distance so we weren't forced to rely on lifts from parents.
Albert Park lake was your typical par``hing was either perched on the narrow strip of land the other side of it or on the three or four wider sections of bankside that we called 'islands'.
Early mornings and evenings were preferred although during the school holidays I could cadge a lift off my dad who worked close by and would drop me off on his way to work and pick me up when he finished. The fishing wasn't wonderful but it was varied - roach, perch, skimmers, crucians, tench and goldfish (courtesy of the fair on the adjacent common) all appearing in my fishing diary - indeed a little crucian from this lake was my first fish.
The local kids were a nightmare sometimes - the non-fisherman nicking anything not tied down, the fishing ones constantly badgering you "Can I lend a hook please Mister?" - my reply of "Lend it to whom?" usually being met with blank looks - and invariably "Can I borrow some bait please Mister?"

Often got 'interesting' characters meandering past - it was a very well-used foot and cycle path alongside the lake - one rather shady looking character in a long coat asking my mate if his father smacked him on his bare bottom and did it excite him. He made a sharp exit when my mate said "Here he comes now you can ask him" pointing at some random stranger 100 yards away.

Hemlington Lake was our other local venue -anti-social behaviour on the bankside wasn't much of a problem but car crime in the area was rife and that would be the main concern once I got my own wheels. Fortunately I knew people who lived in the 'C's adjacent to the lake so could park in front of their house.

Both lakes held regular matches - Middlesbrough AC who controlled the fishing on them at that time would run a four match series of opens on Hemlington Lake during the old close season - normally 40 or 50 peg sell-outs - and in the summer would have the 'Matchman' series on Albert Park Lake that would kick-off at some unearthly hour and was the only time when the normal 'out-of-bounds' areas could be fished.

Simon

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not a park lake but the river wear in Durham city centre could be a challenge lots of walkers and dogs plus lots of boat traffic with the hired rowing boats from browns boat yard and all of the university rowing clubs but the worst bit was the university rowing coaches who would cycle on the footpath alongside the boats shouting instructions, absolute knobs not watching where they were going as they were watching the boats and they were so full of their own importance, when you did have to say something to them they just looked down at you with that 'do you know who I am' look. It cost more than one of them their bikes as I know of at least 2 that were stopped and their bikes taken to the middle of the baths bridge and launched into the river

davej1981

The only 1 park lake we have round here its not a problem. Lots of dog walkers and families but most are courteous. It was featured on carl and alex park lake diary. Suffered a huge fish loss 2 years ago due to low oxygen, again carl and alex helped down there and made a video. I believe the lake has recovered and the fish have spawned well

The Landlord

Site Supporter
come and try and fish the parks in liverpool you only fish them if you take a gun with you or 7 foot tall and built like a tank so the rats do not come by you to rob your gear or they run passed you and push you off your box and into the lake that why i always go out of town to fish were they can not get to
Same over here. I learned to fish in Birkenhead Park's two lakes. Wouldn't even go for a walk round them nowadays. Smackhead central!

The Saint

Paul
Site Supporter
Try Yeadon Tarn in Leeds, great water and the guys running it are turning it into what a lot of us think will be a great lake in 2-3 years but the amount of runners, cyclists ( not supposed to be allowed), dog walkers is unbelievable.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just been for a couple pints with one of my mates and he told me he’s going swimming in our clubs park late tomorrow 😂

Is fair to say one look around a few years ago was enough to tell me that I’ll never fish that place!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Roundhay Park Lake in Leeds used to be a great place to fish many years ago, even holding large matches both local club stuff and national matches.
The local council however decided it would be a good idea to instate a new footpath around the lake to make it both accessible and pedestrian-friendly and in doing so killed off any attempt for an angler to set up their tackle unless they were sat on the actual footpath.
The only exceptions to this are the 'driveway' which is a fenced-off section that is generally used as a dog's toilet and has been left to nature with trees and bushes overgrowing in what was once accessible bankside, and the dam wall which is a mass of rocks and boulders and nigh on impossible to set a box or chair on.

Consequently hardly anyone fishes it now, with the exception of a lone angler now and again, and the once controlling club (L&D ASA) giving up the fishing rights as it was no longer feasible to continue with it.

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
I’ve only fished commercials since I started fishing, other than a couple of natural club waters.

From the comments about park lakes on this thread I can’t imagine anything worse 😳😳

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
A lot of Cons have been mentioned and they aren't going to be for everyone, but there's a lot of Pros to Park Lakes too.

Sometimes I even catch a fish or two. 😁

Wandle Wanderer

Try Yeadon Tarn in Leeds, great water and the guys running it are turning it into what a lot of us think will be a great lake in 2-3 years but the amount of runners, cyclists ( not supposed to be allowed), dog walkers is unbelievable.
My partners family are up there. Took a stroll round the lake last year and saw a mid 20 landed. Ill be bringing my rods up with me next week when we visit. Was busy with the usual members of public but there were some serious anglers on there and I've read good reports about the place. Can't wait to get a session in!

Wandle Wanderer

On the subject of Park lakes...

Being based in South London, I have a limited choice when it comes to being able to fish on park lakes.

Battersea park, Tooting Common and Wandsworth Common are all under Wandsworth council control and its expensive for what you get/are allowed to do. The rules are really odd, and rather restrictive - for example size 6 hooks only... Good luck catching anything other than carp with that!

Battersea park - swims are limited, and since the council apparently failed to maintain the segregated barrier between the fishing section and boating section, many fish (especially the carp) have escaped and stay in the boating lake where they know they're safe and get fed by the public. There's some seriously nice fish in there but you absolutely won't stand a chance. Its a shame as its packed with fish. Just walk around the lake - full to the rafters. Heavily policed so don't even think about it. They'll dish out fpns and seize your kit.

Wandsworth common - crayfish central. Again there's fish in there, I've got videos of them. However, again limited angling sections and swims, coupled with the stupid rules, good luck!

Tooting Common - I have done my homework. It's being run like a syndicate by a group of locals. Only 6 swims, and it's one on, one off with the organised locals hogging the place.

Now, Clapham Common I am familiar with.

Eagle pond - perfect for a float session. There's loads of silvers, small carp, to the extent you can chuck a handful of pellet in and literally net hundreds of them. There's a couple properly decent sized carp in there too, I've had one of them out on a waggler. Although worryingly, last time I was there, there were signs of fires being lit directly in one of the swims and when I mentioned it to one of the regulars I was told don't be surprised if someone permitless was catching and cooking on the bank..

Mount Pond - you'll get roach and perch, and there's quite a few decent sized carp in there. However, it's silty as f*ck and actually harder than it looks to fish. I've done a fair few nights there over the past year and had a few decent sized carp out.

However, of late, it's not been fishing well in my opinion and the water levels have dropped quite a bit. Coupled with the high levels of silt, at the moment it's extremely shallow. The levels of rubbish and detritus is clearly visible and the council will do nothing to try and fix it.

The problems I have with Clapham common are the "locals" and the bailiffs.

Put a bivvy up, and dog walkers just let their dogs roam free, tear through your bivvy and pee all over it.

The "bailiffs" are anything but. They never check permits, and only seem to enforce the "rules" when it suits them and their mates - the "locals". It's the same faces there week in week out when I do manage to get up there. They stick together, don't interact or really speak to you - it's clear they're not happy with anyone other than them being on the lake and smoke weed like its going to be the last day on earth.

Prime example - few locals did a nighter, were just utterly in breach of rules, and a few of them. The "bailiff" turned up, was chatting and laughing with them, then came up to me, spliff in his hand, and reminded me about a certain rule that he thought I might be in breach of that I knew I wasn't. I reminded him of that, and asked him why he clearly turned a blind eye to his "mates" in blatant breach just then..... He had no response and started making excuses and rode off.

I was then chatting to another more friendly local who just laughed when I told him and he said the bailiffs just take the pee and it's not being run properly as it once was. They never check permits, ever. Someone apparently pulled up a "local" recently about the heavy weed use and it allegedly almost ended up in a very serious assault.

I won't be going back. Unfortunately, if you fish inner city parks where there is no established order and rule these are the problems you have to face.

Im now on the Farnham ticket - which I know is busy but it's good value for money, and I'm happy to put up with busy especially as it's well run and baliffed properly, with decent anglers.

Seeing clapham common in the state its in makes me sad - it's somewhere I fished regularly as a kid

WickerDave

Site Supporter
289321842_6039359729424251_244568803085775520_n.jpeg

Billy bonds

I fish bushy park near Hampton court palace regularly, and fished it on opening day,
I don't mind the people asking if you can eat the fish lol,I'm happy to chat most people show a healthy interest,
It's a better venue than some of my club lakes I fish for scenery, lovely deer and wildlife,
You get the stuck up ones asking if you are hurting the fish ,lol,
It's patrolled by the local police so no idiots over there ,
It's a welcome break from pressurise commercials ,or water fished constantly,
I go there if I fancy an easy day catching loads...

Billy bonds

I fish bushy park near Hampton court palace regularly its a public park, and fished it on opening day,
I don't mind the people asking if you can eat the fish lol,I'm happy to chat most people show a healthy interest,
It's a better venue than some of my club lakes I fish for scenery wise, lovely deer and wildlife,
You get the stuck up ones asking if you are hurting the fish ,lol, but I tend to lgnore them
It's patrolled by the local police so no idiots over there ,
It's a welcome break from pressurise commercials ,or water fished constantly,
I go there if I fancy an easy day catching loads...
It's a place we all started fishing ,that and rivers

Attachments

• IMG-20220616-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20220616-WA0024.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 18