Pros and cons of park lakes

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You know you're a park lake angler when you have a crick in your neck from turning round to tell people that no you don't eat the fish and from the surprise of dogs checking out your tackle. They can be great places to fish but don't always come with the peace and quiet of other places. Then there's the chance of kids throwing stones in your peg, most of them are well behaved and parents will tell them to be quiet or they'll scare away the fish, but you can get unlucky as per if you watch @HALTON DANGLER's latest vid.

Some people just won't fish them for that reason and although I do due to the quality of a couple of waters near me, I do sometimes crave being tucked away somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

PAULMK5

I live next to furzton lake in Milton Keynes,great lake to fish but I stopped due to all the trouble as you say and that will only get worse as they are now building a cafe and crazy golf course. Most of the other mkaa lakes are park lakes,hence why I am a member of 2 other club lakes. Shame when I can be on the bank in under 4 minutes though.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I saw a video of Jon Arthur fishing the Avon at Stratford. At one point the fire brigade turned up and started blasting water in his swim. He did catch a Bream shortly after but it just looked a touch too busy even for me.

neil1313

come and try and fish the parks in liverpool you only fish them if you take a gun with you or 7 foot tall and built like a tank so the rats do not come by you to rob your gear or they run passed you and push you off your box and into the lake that why i always go out of town to fish were they can not get to

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I fancy fishing Mote Park but keep hearing too many stories of bankside idiocy, people under the influence causing aggro, nicked tackle and the pressures of other water users.

Going to do some less local commies instead I think.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's a similar story about them being too rough in Birmingham. I'm lucky. My lakes are in Kidderminster (not too bad) and a nice area of Dudley, only 20 minutes from Wolverhampton, but you don't get badly behaved thugs. Mostly people running, or going for a walk with their dog. First time I fished it though, someone jumped in and started to swim the perimeter of the lake as I was packing up.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You know you're a park lake angler when you have a crick in your neck from turning round to tell people that no you don't eat the fish and from the surprise of dogs checking out your tackle. They can be great places to fish but don't always come with the peace and quiet of other places. Then there's the chance of kids throwing stones in your peg, most of them are well behaved and parents will tell them to be quiet or they'll scare away the fish
That’s far from being just a park lake thing, try river fishing around tourist hotspots like Oxford and Stratford upon Avon! Lots of people at times is just par for the course. It’s why I love my favourite swim on the sandford old channel so much as there’s none of that to deal with there. Well tbh there isn’t much grief in most swims there. Tbh most places around here aren’t too bad for it but others really can be chaos medley being a prime example.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
That’s far from being just a park lake thing, try river fishing around tourist hotspots like Oxford and Stratford upon Avon! Lots of people at times is just par for the course. It’s why I love my favourite swim on the sandford old channel so much as there’s none of that to deal with there. Well tbh there isn’t much grief in most swims there. Tbh most places around here aren’t too bad for it but others really can be chaos medley being a prime example.

Agree with that - the town stretch of the Medway at Maidstone is an experience at times. Won’t take Jacob on those bits because it’s too hairy.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's easy to find peace and quiet on the Severn as even if you do fish some of the non town waters that can get fairly busy with walkers, you're down a steep bank, so the first thing you know about it their dog running down. But saying that it's nothing like the park lakes and easy to find peace and quiet. Canoes are a different story. Similar story with the weir I fish... the only reason to go down there is to fish. Canals can be just as bad though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbh I don’t mind walkers on bank provided the path is set a fair way back and I don’t mind the odd chat as none of that effects the fishing. Inconsiderate boaters and swimmers are a far bigger nuisance as they do effect the fishing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Canoes are the only thing round here and they don't seem to effect the fishing too much. Swimmers would do my nut in. I'll chat to anyone but it does spoil the serenity. Can't beat autumn on the Severn when there's no canoes and you're unlikely to see more than a handful of walkers. On the one park lake I fish, the pegs are comfortable but you have to check behind you and sometimes wait for a gap before casting.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
It's easy to find peace and quiet on the Severn as even if you do fish some of the non town waters that can get fairly busy with walkers, you're down a steep bank, so the first thing you know about it their dog running down. But saying that it's nothing like the park lakes and easy to find peace and quiet. Canoes are a different story. Similar story with the weir I fish... the only reason to go down there is to fish. Canals can be just as bad though.
thats why i like our club stretch on the severn i can have the whole river to myself and no dogs or walkers even at weekends

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's the woman in my local co-op that helps organise the canoe expeditions from Bridgnorth to Arley, so we can thank her for half the canoes. :LOL: Though can't really complain about most BAA stretches compared to some places, I'm hoping that Apley Estate that's just above where the canoes set off from Bridgnorth will have significantly less traffic.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I quite happily fish the couple of park lakes near me, but have pretty much given up canal's due to the speeding cyclists.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm going to travel 55 minutes to find a canal with decent fishing and wide towpath this summer. (y) Though I shouldn't 100% write off the local canal, fishing is patchy at best and there's too many boats and cyclists.

badgerale

Having enforced conversations with members of the public is something I do for work.

I'm not going to expose myself to every mutt herding twit that wanders by.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I quite enjoy a bankside chat but if it comes with dogs off the lead I am less inclined to be courteous.

I love being asked on the river “caught any carp mate” because depending on the demeanour of the questioner I may occasionally fib :rolleyes:

Happy to let people have a go too if they are really interested.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The first year I fished the weir, I was asked several times if I'd caught any Barbel. I hadn't and so wrote it off and the fact that a lot of people would fish it specifically for Barbel, whereas I was catching Chub and everything that swims on maggot. It wasn't until Autumn of the following year I had a run of Barbel that made me realise it's sometimes best to follow local knowledge.