promotion/pay related question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeboyo

Hi,

Random question here - if anyone has any experience in the ways of management/company policies?

Anyhow, I got a letter today for promotion, with a pay increase. I have 2 colleagues who I work with who do the exact same job as me, and also received promotion letters, with the same pay rise today. The promotion is due to me and my thwo colleagues asking for a pay increase due to taking on a lot more responsibility since last January. Backpay was given to my 2 colleagues for one month, which I thought was a bit poor seeing as we had the extra responsibility for the past 6 months - but I received no backpay at all.

I asked my boss, who said it was because I had a verbal warning for using the internet a bit too much last year (got the verbal, among many others people in my company at the same time, but my colleagues didn't get a warning) - so I have been told I don't get any back pay as my warning has only just expired.

Anyone have any ideas what I said I should do? I've already asked my boss about it, he just shrugged his shoulders. Or should I just accept the no back pay issue? It isn't the money - it's the principle, I feel.

Last edited:

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Sounds a bit odd mate.

If your warning held back your back pay, it seems odd that they have given you a promotion.......or is it just me???

It might be worth giving your HR department (if you have one) a call and sounding them out about it. They will have all the company policy details to hand. Also, while you re at it, ask them for a copy of your companies work policy if you havent got one...its always handy to have just in case you have future questions.

As you said, its the principle of the matter really, so tread carefully[:T]

leeboyo

I think that they held back the giving out of the letters until after my warning had passed, then given them to us all at once, but with backpay for the other worth a month.

Like I said though, we have been doing the same job together for the past six months, so it seems unreasonable that they were seemingly promoted a month before me, but we did the same job and it was me that trained them?!

Perhaps the company can, and were, right to not promote me the same time as them, but I have proved I am more than capable for the job over the past 6 months?

It is a massive, multinational company in the oil industry, by the way.

Last edited:

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I think I'd take the pay rise and keep quiet.

Just be glad you've got the increase and that the verbal warning didnt stop it. Making a noise about it now could be counter-productive - this may not be a good time to rock the boat.

fordy1

Take the payrise,im 20k down this year,employed sparky.Had all overtime rates cut,been on flat hours for over a year,but still got a job.

Last edited:

leeboyo

The company need another dozen or so people to do the same job as I do, the current climate with the recession doesn't matter - I have applied for another job within the company, but my dept manager won't let me apply for another internal job as we are so understaffed and they say they can't release me.

I have they pay rise regardless, so it's not about acdcepting it - it's about being treated the same as my colleagues.

I know loads of peole are struggling to find jobs and may say "Just be quiet, you're lucky you have a job" - and that's an awful state of affairs - but I don't care about the money - I want it to be fair.

All I'm asking is can they use the warning against me to not give me the same back pay as my colleagues?

Last edited:

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
Like i said mate, get in touch with your HR dept.
There may be a clause in there depicting a similar situation. If its not in there, then you may be the victim of your boss just being a bit "picky", and trying to prove a point.

I dont think there would much of a legal matter here, but dont get me wrong, I do agree that it sounds a bit petty if the warning thing is the only reason for it all.

b-uster175

have a look on acas.co.uk it might help. How long did the verbal warning last?
Its usually 6 months i think.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
It seems to me that you are being punished twice for the same crime.

Surely pay increments should not be affected by outstanding warnings etc.

Muckin_Fuppet

Account Locked
Originally posted by leeboyo

it's about being treated the same as my colleagues.

Did your colleagues get warnings for the internet use? If not I think you're being greedy asking for something you aren't entitled to.

leeboyo

Originally posted by Muckin_Fuppet

Did your colleagues get warnings for the internet use? If not I think you're being greedy asking for something you aren't entitled to.

Greedy? It's about 120 or so for the month - like I said - it's not about money. I got a warning just before last xmas for internet use - the warning is punishment, as someone else above said, I'm being punished for the same thing twice. If they felt I wasn't capable of doing the work I was promoted for, why did they give me the work I have been promoted for for the last 6 months?

Anyway, I've had some good advice so far (Apart from your knowledgeble input, Mucking Fuppet.) - so thanks, and lets just leave it at that.

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Just accept the pay rise and do your job ,and be thankfull you still have one, if requested to train further personel for the job, do so but don't make them as wise as yourself inadvertently on purpose leave a few important gaps in their training, sooner or later promotion and pay rise will follow.

Muckin_Fuppet

Account Locked

Greedy? It's about 120 or so for the month - like I said - it's not about money. I got a warning just before last xmas for internet use - the warning is punishment, as someone else above said, I'm being punished for the same thing twice. If they felt I wasn't capable of doing the work I was promoted for, why did they give me the work I have been promoted for for the last 6 months?

Anyway, I've had some good advice so far (Apart from your knowledgeble input, Mucking Fuppet.) - so thanks, and lets just leave it at that.

Stop thinking negative and think positive? You have promotion? You aren't entitled to back pay and seeing as you have been informed as to the reason why I don't see your need to post on an internet forum...you asked for opinions and you got mine! If you feel so hard done to maybe go to CAB?

If it isn't about the money why did you say the amount?

Get over your wrong doings and move on up the ladder!

leeboyo

Stop thinking negative and think positive? You have promotion? You aren't entitled to back pay and seeing as you have been informed as to the reason why I don't see your need to post on an internet forum...you asked for opinions and you got mine! If you feel so hard done to maybe go to CAB?

If it isn't about the money why did you say the amount?

Get over your wrong doings and move on up the ladder!

Think positive? Apart from you, and my boss, who say's I aren't entitled to backpay - are you in a management position? Do you work for the HR part of a company? Or you just micked off that someone is seemingly complaining about a promoption? I put the amount as it is nothing, it is what I would get in a month for this large increase in responsibility.

Who say's I aren't entitled to it?! I have already said I have the info I wanted, and I had a couple of sensible responses from my post, and some others by P.M. Won't let you know what has happened at work, as you would complain that I didn't deserve what I DID end up getting today.

Cooky

I would accept what you got

going to HR is going to get peoples backs up and they will be out to get you, maybe not now but they will always be on the look out to get you back

nick2b

You are not entitled to back pay. It is completely at the discretion of the company. The company can decide to issue back pay as a good will gesture. It does not have to issue back pay to all staff. The grievance you have is between yourself and the company - no other parallels can be drawn with this. If you dispute, the company is likely to withdraw or suspend the promotion payrise until there is a resolution. Your only other course of action is to involve a union, presumably, as you have not mentioned this I assume this isn't an option.
At arbitration, your company would argue that it had been very generous offering you anything at all given your disciplinary record.
if you can't accept their terms and conditions associated with the offer, your only real course of action is to leave.

leeboyo

Originally posted by nick2b

You are not entitled to back pay. It is completely at the discretion of the company. The company can decide to issue back pay as a good will gesture. It does not have to issue back pay to all staff. The grievance you have is between yourself and the company - no other parallels can be drawn with this. If you dispute, the company is likely to withdraw or suspend the promotion payrise until there is a resolution. Your only other course of action is to involve a union, presumably, as you have not mentioned this I assume this isn't an option.
At arbitration, your company would argue that it had been very generous offering you anything at all given your disciplinary record.
if you can't accept their terms and conditions associated with the offer, your only real course of action is to leave.

Woah, woah, woah... did you not read my last post? I put my case forward today and got an apology, and the same backpay as my colleagues..

nick2b

You asked for advice, you got it. If you don't want it, don't ask.
If you read my reply you will see that I stated that back pay was at the discretion of the company, which they appear to have decided to award.

Status
Not open for further replies.