Progress and productivity

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I mostly work from home using a work-supplied laptop and phone. Both of these are switched off and stored away outside of my working hours.

My work also provide another quick & dirty method of logging in from home via an ordinary internet browser on any PC. This has been extremely useful to me in the past. Often I'll be surfing the net (and MDs) late into the evening when I'll suddenly think of a solution to a work problem, or remember something I should have done. So a quick log in and I could fix it.

Not any more. They have decided to apply two-factor authentication to the quick login method. This requires the use of a smartphone. I don't use a smartphone, so I asked if there was an alternative. They sat on the request for many weeks only to eventually get back to me today to confirm that none was available. The caller was incredulous and disbelieving that I didn't have a smartphone, and said that I should use my work laptop instead.

Despite my protestations of how long it takes to dig out the laptop and set it up etc. they were adamant. No smartphone no quick login.

OK.

What that means in reality is that when I get a sudden burst of inspiration about a work project now, I will do nothing about it until my next official working day. (If I even remember it then).

So well done muskie's work. Another triumphant blow for the "everybody's got a smartphone" movement.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
to be fair with security and governance getting tighter and more ransomware and malicious attacks than ever before i cant blame them for that, we have had multi factor authentication in place for years so you have been a little lucky it has taken this long.

To be fair no one is forcing you to work outside of work and i get where you are coming from but you can always drop into hotmail and write yourself a email to your work address or write notes and take a pick so you do not lose that magic idea you had lol.

Personally i leave my laptop out and powered on 24/7 and always check it and do work outside of normal working hours.

I cant log into my bank accounts as broke my UK phone and waiting for work to replace it as MFA and cant change the number online so waiting for Sim and phone to be sent to my sister so i feel your pain!

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A lot of companies are quite happy to supply tech to workers in the hope they'll find it easier to work, and therefore "do a bit more" I know a lot of people who work from home and regularly put in more than their contracted hours despite not able to claim overtime... its also becoming an expectation by some employers that you put in more... To me thats out of order, if you have contracted hours, do them and no more... the company can argue you have less travelling time and saving on fuel, but that's their choice if they close an office, they are getting loads back in rent, rates and overheads and have no right to expect employees to ramp up their own productivity to further boost profits...

Novice937

Why dont you write down a couple of key notes/words and that should be enough to trigger the fix next time you're in, depends what you do, mind.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You could always just email yourself (home to work to email) as a reminder...

But on the wider subject, I know many organisations that seem to delight in making it harder to be productive.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Thank you for the replies. But I have already formulated my position and it is: "Well...**** 'em then!" :)

"Just get a smartphone?" - My phone has the capability to be smart-ish. It is very hard to get one that isn't these days. But I disable pretty much everything as soon as I get one and it becomes a phone & text device.

solwood

Site Supporter
@Arry I can see that side, for me it's been a positive, yes I do work longer hours at times, I can't claim overtime but can claim toil. I have a fair amount of flexibility in my hours which is a positive.

The time saved commuting and cost saved works for me. My wife WFH and has done so for years so no additional heating cost.

solwood

Site Supporter
Thank you for the replies. But I have already formulated my position and it is: "Well...**** 'em then!" :)

"Just get a smartphone?" - My phone has the capability to be smart-ish. It is very hard to get one that isn't these days. But I disable pretty much everything as soon as I get one and it becomes a phone & text device.
I guess work should issue you with a phone if they require 2 stage security

They can lockdown what you can enable/disable.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I guess work should issue you with a phone if they require 2 stage security

They can lockdown what you can enable/disable.
I have a work phone. It is switched off and stashed away with the laptop out of hours.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
you mean you use a phone to make and receive phone calls and texts?
No selfies? no tictwonk?, no twatter?, no faceache? no cancycrap?

people will think you are mad! personally i full agree with you! i have to have one and only tihng i do apart from calls and text is pics when i am out, thats it apart from the forced MFA apps lol

@Arry i have WFH for 15+ years and i love it but by god do i do a lot of bloody unpaid hours! its easily done and being part of a global team i have calls, emails and meetings at all times of day and night but even a little bit more work is still a price worth giving for a better life work balance and no commute etc.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
The helpdesk dude who called to tell me 'no way Jose' actually got quite eggy about it. He probably thought I was a silly old duffer.
Well be that as it may ;) , I was building PCs and web sites from scratch long before he was even weaned. That was back in the days when you had to really know your stuff, like interrupts, COM ports, and what should ( and shouldn't ) be in autoexec.bat and config .sys. We use to write web pages using Notepad or Vi (unix).

I tried explaining that a COM port needed to be reconfigured to suit a particular interface, to a young techie some years ago. His open-mouthed gormless expression was a pretty fair clue that my words fell on very stony ground.

.... There were a hundred and fifty of us living in't shoebox in't middle of road............:ROFLMAO:

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
lol i used to make and solder all my own X25 cabling and V24 ports and fixing broken tracks and dry joints on great big circuit board in memotec clusters

and my very first 286 (i think) PC with a million disks for different things lol, ahhh those were the days! great big 3ft tape backup machines, mainframes, massive 400 pair amphibole cables with krone blocks!

Im with you muskie! :giggle:

Rob F

Site Supporter
Well that's me sorted!!!

pnp-quill-and-parchment-1.jpg

Paul_T

Site Supporter
I'm surprised they haven't offered you the option of a "hard" token rather than the "soft" token (app) for a smart phone. Might be worth asking them if they can supply a hard token?

They look like this:

1656084277245.png

I would like to think your IT guys can give you the option.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
hard tokens are being phased out quickly, they cost money, are a pain in the arse with getting to new starters and leavers, people lose them, people dont carry them with them, its a old technology now and apps provide even more security now

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter

Go on Strike - I'm wiv you bruv :D

Paul_T

Site Supporter
hard tokens are being phased out quickly, they cost money, are a pain in the arse with getting to new starters and leavers, people lose them, people dont carry them with them, its a old technology now and apps provide even more security now
I totally agree, but there's no harm in asking if it's an option.

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
of course not, i didnt mean there was any harm sorry, was just posting why they are phasing out in most businesses

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Tokens have been and gone with our I.T. - They are desperately trying to drag themselves into the 21st century. But with very limited funds they're onto a loser IMHO.