Problems with China Graph pencil marks

neo0383

Hi Guys,

Does anybody else have problems using china graph pencils for marking their pole depths i.e. it seems to get washed off during rain or rubbed off easily when damp?

I am finding this frustrating and am reluctant to use tipex on my brand new pole.

Have i just got the wrong chinagraph pencil?

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Neil

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I use Chinagraph pencil and have no problems with it. The ones I use are Papermate, not for any other reason than that's all Office Supplies had when I bought them.

carphauler

Roachhauler
That's what it does unfortunately, i still use one as I'm not going back to tippex.

Never found Chinagraph up to the task and can't be axxxd finding a pole that it does suit. White,yellow and black tippex multi use and just scratches off with finger nail. For finer marks use tippex with fine point applicator, no more time spent wondering.

Irkthepurists

i use cheap oil crayons from Home Bargains they are perfect in the damp and wipe of with a towel.... try 'em

lp1886

Site Supporter
Tippex just scratches off, never felt the need to use anything else.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
A lot of this come back to the finish on your pole. You have to try different methods until you find the one that matches your pole.

Chinagraph and tippex work well on my carp pole, chinagraph is best on my match pole. But tape might be a better solution for others.

ru548

if im out of tippex i sometimes mark the line above the float with black marker pen! it does wear off after time some so i always have rubber bands on topkit to also mark depth?[:T]

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
A thin sliver of white electricians tape is left permanently on each top set, just peel it off and move it. KISS.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
all those little offcuts of pole elastic have uses

just form small overhand loops with them an use them as depth markers, the best thing with them is you can move them too

and they are well handy for hooking the full length of the rig up when you place it back on the roost

rufcuk

Go on ebay and search depth marker in fishing category and buy the vinyl ones - there cheap enough and remove with no damage

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I use a wax pencil. I think dress makers use them for marking out patterns. Got the idea off a Des Ship video.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I don't use a pole so feel free to hurl abuse at me but.............
if this is a temporary thing what about sticking a bit of masking tape on the pole and using a soft pencil to make a mark?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I use a small elastic band wrapped around the pole to mark mine, yes it can move but usually just in one place so just a case of straighten it back up

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I don't use a pole so feel free to hurl abuse at me but.............
if this is a temporary thing what about sticking a bit of masking tape on the pole and using a soft pencil to make a mark?
Phil l use a 1x16th of an inch slice off the end of white electricians tape. If and when l wish to move it just pick at it with a fingernail and reuse it. If it fails to stick l use a new precut bit. Rain does not bother it either.
I use it on my rods as well, every rod has a spare bit down by the butt.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Now probably my turn to get slated.....i don't mark my pole depth at all. I will use a very small shot (#11) directly under the pole stem for dead depth.
I can lay line on and come back to dead depth no problem.

If i have to go shallower small changes are ok (3 -4 inches) but after that it normally means a separate, dedicated rig.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
What about a little bit of PTFE tape. Wrap round twice and nip it off. Should be easy to get off without leaving any stickiness.

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
Site Supporter
I use the sensas line marker, never had an issue with it.

Rick