Problems being a Modderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
At times being a mod is hard (believe it or not).

Why??

You have to intervine in "discussions" that get out of hand or a bit close to the edge.

Thats where the problems begin.

You have real friends & virtual ones , now i have had the pleasure of meeting most of you & class you as my friends (those i've met & those i've yet to meet) so when things get a bit out of hand & i have to modderate a thread/posting it gets hard because i don't want to upset my friend or make them feel unwelcome , so how do you go about it?

The only way you can, you drop a little hint with a post or you do your job then send a mail explaining why you did what you did & hope they understand.

Unfortunetly this doesn't always work that way & you lose a friend or worse the site loses a poster which is unfair on the other members.

The reason i'm posting this fellas is because i had a mail from one of my friends who modds on another board he was really upset because one of the other posters who he fishes with quite a bit no longer wants to know him because he had to delelte a part of his posting & couldn't understand the reasons behind it or didn't want to see the reasons behind it.

I would hate that to happen on here so please fellas think before your finger hits that enter key, give a little thought to Dave who has to face the flack for anything you post after giving his time & money to provide this site for you to use at no cost & give a little (not to much though) thought to us Modds who have to face the prospect of alienating one of you if we have to modderate your post.

This site is the friendliest around as you lot know i am a member of just about every angling related forum on the net so i've seen it all (i think??) thankfully so far this board has been 99.9% free from squabbling so lets keep it that way & just agree to disagree instead of ruining such a wonderful thing as the MD family ok?

Sorry to go on but i've seen to many good sites dissapear due to unthinking posting & i don't want that happening here icon_smile_sad.gif

Right i'm off fishing with Trev N Esox so i'll catch you later (& hopefully catch a few fih as well icon_smile_big.gif.

Alan
You've just been moderated

ray

alan, i know that i am not alone when i say that i appreciate "daves posse" after all, if it was'nt for you guys we would not have a m/ds.
the thing that makes this site rise above all others is the people, we are all "into fishing", we all have a sense of humour (well apart from malc, cos he's a matchman), we all like learning stuff from the site and likewise are more than to willing to help anybody, it seems to get better with each new post, it is a site by name and a club by nature.

my point, with the range of fishing disciplines on this site (unlike others who have seperate forums for carp,sea etc) somebody at some time may post something that you moderate for one reason or another, but i believe we are all mature enough not to "take our ball away" if we were moderated, we are all adult enough to realise that it is for a reason, after all if you guys did'nt do your job what would the site be like??

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

a real angler takes his rubbish home.

original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well put Alan,

The difference between forums and say for instance a discussion in a pub is that on a board you are what you write and the written word can have many meanings and interpretations. On occasion the most innocent posting can be taken as offensive by a reader when there was no intention in the first instance, even more so after a bad day's work or an argument with the missus/husband.
In a pub (or other location icon_smile.gif) emotions go with the words so feeling is added and the listener picks up on the true meaning of the conversation.
The best bit of advice I can give anyone is if they see something that flames them is to look away, look back and re-read it and maybe you'll see the true meaning. I'm not saying though that all posts have different interpretations, some are mean't to cause arguement or offence in the first instance (not so much on here tho' thumbsup.gif ). In that case by all means respond but don't rise to the bait and if unsure leave it. There is nothing that upsets a 'flamer' more than having their post ignored.

At most times of the day there is a mod not too far away even if we're not posting (just having a Bud, lol) but if there is something that we have missed or you want to grab our attention to something, email our hotline: Moderators@maggotdrowning.com , the alarm bells will start ringing and one of us will pick it up.

Anyway Anal that post of mine that you editted, what was all that about? eh? boxing.gif - OH Cwap - have you seen the size of that guy? (take a look at his profile), whoops sorry icon_smile_blackeye.gif Alan, mate, pal, buddy, lol icon_smile_big.gif

Dave

One day Dave i'm going to make your husband a widower

Edited by - Trogg on 03 May 2002 9:58:50 PM

G

Allan and Dave just how do you keep a happy medium???

I think we all know the tasks that you have to do, how do i not upset my mate,the member who started the thread and so on.

As you stated big fella your friend on another board, his mate took offence because a part of his post was deleted, if he were in his mates shoes what would he do?????? is a post worth more than friendship????? i think not.

I for one give the mods on this site, not forgetting Dave,a thumbs up on the difficult job you have to do.

Call me any more and i will take my ball home so there{LoL}

Good job lads

Andy

i'm going fishing

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Allan and Dave just how do you keep a happy medium???

Ply her with plenty of Spirits icon_smile_big.gif

Sorry I couldn't resist, lol

Dave

G

Right thats it i'm off so there, its your fault Dave, dont speak to me again. and i mean it, i do, i realy mean iticon_smile_shock.gificon_smile_shock.gif boo hoo

Andy

i'm going fishing

martin.

Account Locked
hi dave
now look what you you have done to poor andy now whos gonna buy first round at north east bash as it was going to be andy id already spoken to lanlord & orderd 2 barrels of blackstuff?
to all MD mods you do a brill job even if it can be hard at times just keep it up
beer-toast1.gif

tight lines.
martin.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I understood what the post was about but - Trogg having friendsicon_smile_question.gificon_smile_question.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif apart from us great guys I mean.

All of you guys keep up the good work, but don't delete any of my posts or else.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

No Threats now - We're Watching naughty2.gif

Edited by - peter on 04 May 2002 10:40:46 AM

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Problems being a Moderator?

What problems? (Apart from catching fish or spelllng Moderator? LOL)

No lads, I agree with everything you've posted and as a contributor apologise for the easy unthinking way I and others cause you problems.

We tend to get wrapped up in the site and forget its FREE and we're only here because you,ve provided free site!
AND it's good, because you put in free time and effort to moderate the posts and keep the atmosphere right.
Stupidly enough, if there was an access charge, we would probably think more!,but that's human nature!

Often I read a request post for a difficult addition or alteration and wonder 'How much time will that take the guys?' and yet you often do it quickly and for free!

How many hours were spent on the phone sourcing 'T' shirts and how much frustration at being let down by dozy suppliers?

How much irritation at posts about speed?, which can be caused by external factors!

I'm certainly guilty of it, but resolve in future to send an E-Mail, because you've made that easy too!, with any negative type query, rather than moan in public and create a wrong impression to new people.

So Thanks Alan, Good point and for making this the best site on the net, keeping it that way through giving your time FREELY and good humouredly, please accept my thanks.

Also ,Pete and of course Stu and Red Leader.

Great team!

Consider my bum smacked Troggy and please let me tell Dave I SAW you catch a fish next time LOL

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Status
Not open for further replies.