Problem With Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessebobs

Steve!
Hi all, I've been doing ok with paste lately but I seem to keep getting the same problem.
I feed a paste line with pellets (usually about 5m out in 2 foot of water) and leave it for a couple of hours. When I go on it the fish are queuing up and more often than not I'm into a fish as soon as the float settles. Trouble is, after about an hour of bagging, the carp seem to be so up for it that I stop getting proper bites and just get liners and foul-hookers.
I know the obvious answer is to stop feeding (pellets) but I'm worried that if I don't top-up the feed, the hooked fish will spook the others, especially as the lake is so shallow.
Anybody else come across this?

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Some blokes will disagree Jesse but I never feed a thing when Im fishing paste that way the bites you get are proper bites.
I watched Jamie Masson fishing paste in a long tank at the NEC a couple of years ago and within a few minutes of his paste going in the water was a real cloud with him catching and the fish blowing it back out.
I think feeding pellet when fishing paste is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Jessebobs

Steve!
Ok, point taken blokey but is the attraction of the paste itself enough to keep the fish interested in a match situation or should I kick the peg off with a pot-full of paste samples maybe?

The Boss

I agree with barrybloke however I have discovered the new 365 liquid from willis worms. www.willisworms.com This stuff is awesome and is a liquid feed that attracts fish big time..although they cannot stuff themselves on it they are constantly searching the swim for the food source. Alegedly Paul Sibley uses it at Woodlands to great effect. So it says on the bottle.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I used to feed pellet and I couldnt suss out what I was doing wrong at all. I was tearing my hair out with the missed bites and bumped fish and then I watched Jamie Masson and asked him lots of questions. Thats a guy who has picked up a lot of money on paste in particular Im sure you will agree and he told me exactly that Jess. Dont feed at all. The paste will feed it for you.
I came back from there and it genuinely turned my paste fishing around.
A week or so ago having not fished paste for some time like a plonker I stuck pelllet in and sure enough I was back to square one for missing bites.

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
If you want to feed something feed hemp, it keeps the fish firmly on the deck. However as has been said for the most part you dont need to feed a thing with paste, sometimes even the just the paste can over feed the swim in which case just start up another line a few meters away.

Jessebobs

Steve!
Thanks chaps. I'll give it a go with no feed. But that cupping kit is going to feel awful lonely in the rod bag!

MALC

Originally posted by gazmalman

sometimes even the just the paste can over feed the swim

What do you expect with the the babies up your way Gaz.[;)]

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Its changing is that malc, dont be surprised if woodlands has a few 300lb plus weights this year on paste, but they aint going to be caught with big lumps of hard paste and kilos of pellets like the stuipid southern carp. lol

hoghunter

Originally posted by Jessebobs

Hi all, I've been doing ok with paste lately but I seem to keep getting the same problem.
I feed a paste line with pellets (usually about 5m out in 2 foot of water) and leave it for a couple of hours. When I go on it the fish are queuing up and more often than not I'm into a fish as soon as the float settles. Trouble is, after about an hour of bagging, the carp seem to be so up for it that I stop getting proper bites and just get liners and foul-hookers.
I know the obvious answer is to stop feeding (pellets) but I'm worried that if I don't top-up the feed, the hooked fish will spook the others, especially as the lake is so shallow.
Anybody else come across this?

If you are feeding the pellets with a toss pot then I'd recommend feeding by hand over a greater area + find a totally flat area about a 1m x 1m where you can move your paste float around abit instead of fishing directly on the same spot every time.

missabite

This scenario happened at the weekend. The answer was to keep feeding the pellets and fish the paste at half depth. The carp was hooking themselves. Could be worth a try.

Jessebobs

Steve!
Originally posted by missabite

The answer was to keep feeding the pellets and fish the paste at half depth.

How did you manage that then, were you using that zero g paste?

missabite

Originally posted by Jessebobs

Originally posted by missabite

The answer was to keep feeding the pellets and fish the paste at half depth.

How did you manage that then, were you using that zero g paste?

A short line between the pole and float and a very steady pole

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Mine wouldn't stay on the hook, you must make it WAY stiff. Mine almost pours out the cup.

poleangler

I always start on top of my feed then when I start catching I move away from where I feed.
Its easier if you fish on a slope as you feed lower down and fish higher up but if on flat just move to one side.
But make sure you are far enough away so that the carps tails don't give you liners.
But some times they won't move far from your feed and you have to learn the difference between what are liners and real bites.The good paste anglers know which to strike at.

Carp-Freeek

' Shorty '
after an initial big pot of pellets, dont feed again all match, if you are sticking to this line, the paste that comes off the hook after every fish/bite is more than enough to keep the fish in the swim.

strat2

three ways of comin around this:

fish at 5 and a half meters so u back off a little on the edge of the feed.

only feed 3 to 4 6mm pellet each put in.

or if u wana carry on feeding ure swim fish it ealrier in the match eg go on feeder for 30min then go on paste so u are takin the fish out of the swim so there is a balneced number of fish in the swim not a shed load!

you should have a steady catch rate on the last point all day !

Status
Not open for further replies.