Private holiday apartments

Status
Not open for further replies.

crowder

Afternoon all,

Looking at going away in October half term and wondering if anyone has any experience on booking private holiday apartments online as opposed to booking a package holiday through a travel agent.

It appears there are various sites on the internet you can book these, are they safe and reliable or is it a case of risking it?

Cheers

Crowder

DFL

Site Supporter
I've always done it that way. Word of mouth and reviews are helpful. I liked the idea of dealing with the owner directly. We use to book a beautiful house in Lanzarote from a lady that lived in Cheltenham.

Not normally as cheap as a package but gives a greater selection and control of your flights, accommodation etc.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
AirBnB as long as you look at the reviews...

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Booked an apartment in Mallorca last year through Owners Direct, small but comfortable and perfectly located. First time I have used that site and would have no hesitation in recommending it. The apartment owner was good to deal with and I have already booked again for this year.

I don't think I have ever booked a package holiday apart from my first trip to the USA. Particularly somewhere like Mallorca as the flights used by the companies are sh poor. Much better to book your own flights and be able to choose decent times.

Dannysdad

Guv
Another vote for Owners Direct. I've not had a traditional package holiday since the 90's. We've always booked either a villa or apartment and separate flights. Never had an issue.
France
Spain
USA
UK

Chris1Richo

Richo
I have done it and used various companies too, never had a problems and find it better.

tonerain

Site Supporter
There used to be a MD member who advertised his holiday apartment in the Classified section.
It's between Malaga and Gibraltar.

I don't know if he's still a member and I've never stayed in the apartment, but I saved it in my Favourites for future use. Here's a link.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p415811#summary

Incidentally, I've booked accommodation in Majorca, Menorca and France off the Homeaway website many times and never had a problem.

Tony

Bittell

ACCOUNT LOCKED
We've booked gites in France loads of time through Chez Nous and Homeaway. Very simple to do and real bargains to be had.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Booked an apartment for 8 night Lagos in Portugal via AirBnB got a really good price. Also flights out of M/Cr with EasyJet great times 8.00am out and Noon return all for 600
Happy days

bezzer

Site Supporter
Owners Direct, Chez Nous, Homeaway and airbnb are ones we've used in the past to book holidays in France, Spain, Turkey, Cyprus and just recently the US.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Not much point in going away is there?[:O][:W]

"Don't really find anything enjoyable any more, just counting down the days before I shuffle off my mortal coil."

bezzer

Site Supporter
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

Not much point in going away is there?[:O][:W]

"Don't really find anything enjoyable any more, just counting down the days before I shuffle off my mortal coil."

[:D][:D]

Trogg

the bouncer
Site Supporter
we booked a bungalow in Eire, took the mother outlaw as she's disabled and never been "abroad" ....while we unpacked the car she went to sit on a chair at the table and it collapsed, we started sorting out the rooms and the wife took our stuff into the room she'd chosen for us...it stank of cat pee, the last people had left the window open and the local cats had got in and sprayed everywhere so we decided to sleep in the living room.

On the first night i was sat on a seat watching tv and could smell something rotten (no, it wasn't my farts)...lifted the cushion and it was mouldy underneath, there was dog chews and what looked like babyfood, so i put it outside

Following morning lovely bright sunny day, wife went to open the patio door...and it fell off it's track!

Had enough, tried the number for the owner, didn't exist, tried the number for the "caretaker", again it didn't exist, went on the net and sent the owner a message over the websites M system...no reply, we couldn't afford anywhere else so we ha no choice other than to stick with it, luckily we were only there at night as most of the time Kev was taking us around Ireland in his "tour guide mode".

When we got back i contacted the website owners and explaine the situation to them and sent them photographs of the problems.... not there problem they only advertise the properties but they will remove it untill they ahve heard from the owner....we never heard anything from the owner, not even an apology but thankfully we had some cracking memories and great photos that beat the bad memories of that place!

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Its always worth paying the extra and using a credit card if it goes wrong you can get them involed

Status
Not open for further replies.