Printer

62tucker

Site Supporter
We have always had a epson printer. Used loads when daughter no 2 was doing her nursing degree etc, well she’s moved out now and been looking to get her a new printer for xmas. Anyone any ideas or anyone bought a new one recently. It only be used for occasional use so not mega expensive like a office one. Thanks in advance

GeoffW

Site Supporter
My last 2 printers have been Canon.
Good reliable machines, but like all printers, the ink is extortionate.
If possible, go for seperate colour cartridges

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I bought an Epson XP335, does everything I want. Built in card reader and Wi-Fi, scans, copies and gives good print-outs. Handles photo's very well too. Can't fault it. Inks are separate colours.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
First thing is question whether you really need colour printing. If not then get a black & white laserjet printer. Any major name will do. In fact you can get good quality printer/scanner/copiers these days for reasonable prices.

The main benefits are that a single toner cartridge will last for absolutely ages and the 'ink' will never dry up if not used.

I got a Brother brand printer/scanner/copier years ago and I'd never go back to an inkjet.

Somersetlad

Samsung b&w laser here, for general printing, connected to the wifi - so it just sits in a corner. I've also got an Epson inkjet photo printer/ scanner, but even using compatible cartridges it's expensive to run.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I bought an Epson XP335, does everything I want. Built in card reader and Wi-Fi, scans, copies and gives good print-outs. Handles photo's very well too. Can't fault it. Inks are separate colours.
That actually what we have now. Never let us down.

lliopp

Site Supporter
laser for occasional use. Had mine for about seven years now. Never got more than two from an ink jet.
I can go months without needing to use it and it just powers up and goes. None of the ink jets I tried could cope with extended down time.

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
Bought a Canon Pixma MG3250. Pain in the proverbial! Forever "stuttering" and failing before eventually producing. Quality ok, but annoyingly unreliable. Instructions are on one huge fold out sheet with half dozen languages and diagrams not particularly helpful to understand all its "flashing lights/warnings!" Previous Lexmark for 10 years + was faultless.

DFL

Site Supporter
As Muskrat has said, if it’s only going to be used for printing in black and white then a Laserjet printer is the way to go, better quality of print, quicker and as said the ink lasts ages.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
I got an Epson 425, it's about 10 yrs old , compatible ink 1pk for £8 2pks for £15 and can't fault it

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Go for an HP printer where you can opt for the Instant ink. This is the one I’ve got, it’s actually very good & I pay £1.99 pm which gives you up to 50 pages of printing, you can opt for more & you never have to pay for ink again, they send you replacement cartridges when you are running low
Amazon product

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
as already said,go for a laser... if its only for occasional use the cartridges dry out and clog the heads... we have a Samsung Xpress C480W colour... brill bit of kit, paid £180