Price of groundbait?

lp1886

It’s been a while since I bought a bag of Sensas groundbait from a tackle shop. My local GoOutdoors had a clearance sale a while back and I managed to stock up for £2.20 a bag which kept me going for my natural water matches. I am now seeing prices online of £4.99...is this now the going rate?

SeanB

Site Supporter
Even more for some brands, although some brands are 2kg bags so work out a bit cheaper.
Plain brown crumb still catches fish so you don't have to buy expensive types if you don't want to.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Even more for some brands, although some brands are 2kg bags so work out a bit cheaper.
Plain brown crumb still catches fish so you don't have to buy expensive types if you don't want to.
Depends where you go..... some venues the fish are so switched onto fishmeal (skimmers/bream in particular) that a non fishmeal GB is pretty ineffective.

SeanB

Site Supporter
True, but a bag of fishmeal can be added to crumb if you need to keep costs down. Speaking generally that is,there are always exceptions.

Fred Davis

I few years back when the groundbait feeder was doing the damage me and a mt8 used to fish all our club matches with a 40 /40 mix of brown crumb and fishmeal with 20% crushed hemp worked a treat we had a great run as the groundbait worked a treat a lot of the regulars were using sweet fishmeal but we were winning with what we used, at least we knew what was in our groundbait was top quality ingredients. Another match winning groundbait was liquidised cat biscuits all cheaper than mainstream groundbait the groundbait was such a success that on the maver match this clubman final all the lads asked what it was and I started to produce a few bags for the local tackle shop, however it takes it's toll on the liquidisers, I also made some cat biscuit paste to use with it, cheaper than commercial ground baits but worked a treat, the cat biscuit groundbait was not my idea but John Brennans who took the willinhurst club matches by storm his lad Sean also used it and it was not uncommon for the pair to get a first and second on the day.

CarpCatcher86

It’s been a while since I bought a bag of Sensas groundbait from a tackle shop. My local GoOutdoors had a clearance sale a while back and I managed to stock up for £2.20 a bag which kept me going for my natural water matches. I am now seeing prices online of £4.99...is this now the going rate?
You can't compare sale prices to normal prices. Plus so many people want fishing tackle right now so you can bet the price will be hiked up.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Never used brown crumb or bought fishmeal.
Do you just mix brown crumb as normal ?
Where do you get fishmeal
Thanks

D

Deleted member 24128

I'm not actually a guy that ever really moans about the cost of things. I see the value most of the time but I don't like being ripped off either and groundbait is 2020 is just that. A swizz. I was grumbling about the price of this stuff the other day. Frankly, a fiver for a relatively small bag of groundbait is an absolute p**s-take and it can even cost more than that. As in more than your days fishing. It's absurd given what it actually is.

I shall soon start working on my own methinks.

lp1886

You can't compare sale prices to normal prices. Plus so many people want fishing tackle right now so you can bet the price will be hiked up.
I’m not comparing online prices to sale prices. Typically it was around £3.50 a kilo but my local shop has now become more Specimen orientated so they’ve stopped selling Sensas.

CarpCatcher86

I’m not comparing online prices to sale prices. Typically it was around £3.50 a kilo but my local shop has now become more Specimen orientated so they’ve stopped selling Sensas.
Apologies. My shop has recently started stocking dynamite baits pellets and groundbait. Sadly they don't stock the dynamite sweetcorn I use a lot or the low oil carp pellets.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I make my own for less than £1 per kilo. Brown crumb and Tesco dry catfood with salmon, or whatever fish flavour they have at the time.

Makes you wonder why catfood is £1 per kilo while groundbait is four or five times that.

lp1886

Apologies. My shop has recently started stocking dynamite baits pellets and groundbait. Sadly they don't stock the dynamite sweetcorn I use a lot or the low oil carp pellets.
I may have to go down the Dynamite route as well. I just wondered why the Sensas stuff had gone through the roof...maybe it’s just the French ripping us off as usual ?

Tallshort23

Does that work mainly for bream and carp?
I make my own for less than £1 per kilo. Brown crumb and Tesco dry catfood with salmon, or whatever fish flavour they have at the time.

Makes you wonder why catfood is £1 per kilo while groundbait is four or five times that.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Does that work mainly for bream and carp?

Originally created as a carp groundbait I have also caught bream/skimmers, roach, perch, occasional tench and yes - catfish using it.

Full explanation in my blog at the end of this post

BTMS

Site Supporter
Cat food biscuits and are you ready hedge hog bites (Gardman) blitzed and added to fine crumb(y):love:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Making your own groundbait would have to be really cheap to compete with Decathlon at less than £1 per kilo.