Preston Supera SL 11ft feeder

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I bought this rod a little while ago for those days where fishing is difficult at relatively short distances. This rod has a really good through action, allowing me to use lighter lines, smaller hooks, and still pick up bonus fish. The designated casting weight limit is given as 30g, and the rod comes with 3 tips 0.5, 0.75, and 1.0 oz.

I took this with me as an alternative to a medium feeder, and a float rod to fish an unknown local water. The only information I had about this council run site, was that fish were few and far between. After trying a heavier rod, looking for larger fish, and missing takes, I brought this into play. I started off using the 0.75oz tip and a 20g cage feeder. This rod picked up even the shyest of bites at around 30 metres, and I was well pleased fishing on 4lb mainline, with a 2lb 12oz Drennan hooklength using maggot and corn. I switched to a window feeder of the same weight later, but reverted back to corn eventually. Bites galore and, while other anglers were being mesmerised by their stationary floats, I was reeling in small silvers pretty quickly from around the 30 meter mark. Nothing over a pound, but I was well pleased with the results.

Only one sour note on an otherwise enjoyable day, (apart from kids throwing stones in the lake, feeding the ducks, and German Shepherds swimming around) was my rod tip splitting. I am having trouble getting a replacement tip for this rod, despite Preston's help in locating a supplier who had some in stock - now been waiting 2 weeks and am having difficulty contacting the supplier. Must be a covid thing

oldmanriver

Site Supporter
You did not say what strength. Benwick Sports have Supera spare tips but other 2.5mm (if this is the size) are available , phone them and se.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
You did not say what strength. Benwick Sports have Supera spare tips but other 2.5mm (if this is the size) are available , phone them and se.
I did by exception, in that I did not state that I had made a tip change from the one I started with. Thanks for the supplier tip. I will check it out once I have resolved the outstanding issue with the supplier I currently have an order placed with

Just checked Benwick's site. They are currently out of stock on the item I need, but will keep them in mind -

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
@Cobweb.....Nice review, thank you....May I ask under what circumstance(s) did the quiver tip break on your rod?....Thank you for your time.(y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
@Cobweb.....Nice review, thank you....May I ask under what circumstance(s) did the quiver tip break on your rod?....Thank you for your time.(y)
No problem. I'm a bit puzzled myself about that. I was never using more than a free running 20g cage feeder filled not too tightly with mostly groundbait, dead maggot and the odd piece of corn. Alternative feeder was a 20g window. Hookbait was corn/maggot. I was fishing using 3lb (or maybe 4lb) mainline with as I said earlier 2lb12oz hooklength. I don't think I had too much weight on the rod, and was casting to around 30 metres.When I retrieved during a busy spell, I decided to remove some accumulated weed from the tip. While doing that, and, thinking about switching to a helicopter rig, I noticed that the tip had split. I was getting to the end of the session anyway so I finished up. Eventually the top two inches of the tip just separated.

The only thing I can think other than too much feeder weight, is that I might have been a bit heavy handed with casting trying to achieve distance. I've has tips split on me before (years ago) but this seemed a bit odd

Appreciate any analysis - thanks

Irishhybrids

Site Supporter
Preston Quiver tips are garbage , some of the worse out there , Rod is great though .

Total

Site Supporter
@Cobweb ......^^ Thank you....(y)......From the above I would suggest your use of the rod was well within its limits, casting and loading/use....

You mentioned "accumulated weed from the tip".....This might be a good pointer as to the damage to the tip caused when retrieving/winding in and weed/detritus bunching in the top eye and possibly causing the spilt in the top two inches of your quivertip....

I hope you manage to sort out a replacement...(y)

mrfishey

Ive had 2 x 0.75oz tips go on both of my supera sl's and so has my mate. Facebook is full of people with the same issue. Preston told me they weren't aware of any issues, really? ?
I've got both rods sat in the corner of my shed. Lost total confidence in them.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks @Total and @oldmanriver . Also @Irishhybrids and @mrfishey

I have to say that I thought the rod had a lovely action, but seeing as I had no problem with the same water using my Cast'izm rod with a 1 .5 oz tip and a heavier feeder, I'm now torn between the reasonable explanation of resistance build up on weed after a couple of casts, and a suspicion of a product design fault as regards the tip. Mind you the cast'ism tips are built to allow for shock leader knots so the weed guilt may not apply there. Probably the best thing to do is to use the rod with it's replacement tip on a weed free venue and see how it goes. However, I too have very recently picked up vibes about poor rod tips for this model which is a bit naughty given the price of them.

I'd like to get over my gut feeling which makes me reluctant to use the rod. I 'll suspend judgement until I've had another session with this rod on a different venue (assuming I can get a spare tip for it at some point)

Thanks for your help

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
I seem to remember not long ago daiwa had a problem with their tips as well mate.

Can't remember the model but they were not the cheaper end either.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Most of Daiwa's feeder rod's are out of my price range, so maybe I lucked out there. The only one I have ever used is the Cast'izm which works fine, but has a much less sensitive tip set up as a distance rod - hence the Supera SL buy.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Still unable to get a replacement tip. Awaiting comment from Preston's Sales Team. Will close this review once I have tested the rod tip on a weed free venue

Cobweb

Site Supporter
After weeks of waiting I finally managed to get my replacement tip for the 0.75oz element of this rod and today I fished a venue with no weed. Have to say that I can no longer refer to this rod as a silverfish rod, having landed a 4.5lb Bream on Jolly Green Giant on a 14 hook as well as numerous smaller stuff. No problem with the tip whatsoever.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I know Preston have had multiple issues with the tips on their Tyson range but, I thought the Supera was bullet proof ? A mate has just picked a second hand Supera up off Prestons Facebook page because he was breaking Tyson tips for fun. I use the older Mini Carp 10’. Never had an issue. I do struggle to find tips for them these days now when they wear out.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Benwick Sports have some advertised at the moment (Supera SL tips)

mrfishey

Still waiting on 3 x 0.75 tips. Hopefully they've had a delivery. Fingers crossed that when i get them, they last a lot longer than before.