Preston slip elastic.

Beermonster.

I’ve bought some Preston slip elastic, I can tie a knot in the 8, but 12 or 16 no matter what knot I put in, as soon as I moisten it, the knot comes out, what am I doing wrong?

Total

Site Supporter
Welcome to Maggotdrowning.Com Beer Monster. (y)......May I suggest try tying it with another knot or Tying/tightening the 12 and 16 elastics, slowly without moistening the knot.(y)

Total

Site Supporter
@Beermonster. .....As said above, use your existing knot on the heavier elastics but don't moisten.....I only use a couple of overhead knots, but tighten down fully....SLOWLY.....Find it works perfectly for the normal stonfo type connectors or Dacron type.(y).......Keep it simple mate, always the best way. ;)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I think Slip is impregnated with a lubricant. I have used it in the heavier grades and found I need to suck the knot for a short while to remove the lubricant then pull really tight.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
As our Mick has suggested above.....Another good alternative.(y)

493-2.jpg
I have used that ,also the overhand knot. One thing I do though with both ,is to leave the tag end slightly longer so when the bead is pushed over the connector a small piece of tag end is trapped at the end I think it gives it a more secure hold, I may be wrong, but to me it's a confidence thing as well. Works with both hollow and solid elastic.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Dab of superglue is what I've used with overhand knot and stonfo connectors. Bit of a makeshift way of doing it I think but it's held ok.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have used that ,also the overhand knot. One thing I do though with both ,is to leave the tag end slightly longer so when the bead is pushed over the connector a small piece of tag end is trapped at the end I think it gives it a more secure hold, I may be wrong, but to me it's a confidence thing as well. Works with both hollow and solid elastic.

i too leave the tag end longer than the instructions state, actually feeding it back through the lower part of the stonfo, looks terrible

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I do what it says on the card that comes with the dacrons. Simple overhand granny knot pulled tight and the double loop of the dacron behind it then put on the sleeve before cutting waste.

Total

Site Supporter
i too leave the tag end longer than the instructions state, actually feeding it back through the lower part of the stonfo, looks terrible

Nick's newish stretchy stuff knots up perfectly with that Drennan knot type above.(y)