Preston SL30 or MAP H30 Lite seat box.

SpeedyJD

Hi all.
Due to swopping my van to an estate car I'm a bit squeezed on space to transport two of us and all our match gear.
I'm looking to reduce my seat box in size so any framed boxes are out of the question.
I'm looking at either the Preston SL30 inception or the MAP H30 Lite. I know about the telescopic leg situation with Preston. I will go to look at both however it would be good to hear from owners of either box so I can get some feedback on sturdiness, any legs slipping, trays not opening, catches breaking or anything else? Thank you.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The footprint of both boxes is still the same size as most of the rest of the boxes on the market.
It might be mainly fresh air between the seat and the footplate but unless you're gonna utilise that space for something else it's wasted.

My experience of the Preston is limited to picking it up and siting on it in the tackle shop - it wasn't as light as I anticipated it was going to be and I wasn't really happy with the layout of the trays - but that's just me and the rubbish I carry around:p

I don't own the H30 Lite but do have the fatter brother in the H30 Comp
Owned it almost a year and so far nothings broke, snapped off or slipped - drawers open whilst being sat on (not something all boxes can boast;))
30mm legs so you don't need to go out and buy an entire new set of accessories, although you will probably want a shallow tray for pole winders, 'cos there isn't really anywhere to put them - I was OK with the Comp I just tipped 'em in the big base but of course that isn't an option with the Lite version.

There was some good deals on the MAP boxes in last years Black Friday sale - H30 Lite was under £250 with Angling Direct and the Comp under £300

Simon

D

Deleted member 21081

The Maver Signature venue seatbox is completely collapsible, cheap and very good in my opinion.

johnfranks

I had the same idea and looked at the MAP lite box , lite it ain't. My Matrix s25 seems lighter and the footprint is virtually the same, so stuck with my Matrix. The only box I reckon might help you is a matchbox.

SpeedyJD

Thanks chaps. To be fair, I'm not too worried about the weight of them, it is the space in the car, whipping the back legs off the box and pulling the footplate out should save space or even lowering the whole frame down will save space too which is why a framed box is no good. I've heard about needing a winder draw with the MAP but think the box is a bit cheaper than the Preston as I'd need telescopic legs all round so could probably afford one.
Had a bad experience with Matrix with a footplate rippling and then not being able to get a replacement for 3 months even though it was warranted so avoiding them.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have the Preston LS30, No problems with it, I don't have an issue with only having 2 telescopic legs,
The base will hold a couple of reels, cattys pole pots, feeders, The drawer unit takes the usual, spare spools of line shot etc,
I have some pole rigs in mine as well. Preston are bringing out lightweight inception trays ,drawers for the box,
Same mag lok fitting as the Absolute units, Also a set of shuttle adaptors for the box. I had the Absolute Compact until I sold it,
I prefer the Inception, Paid £299 for it.

jasonb

Account Locked
Is there a schematic drawing for the map h30 lite like there is the Preston LS30?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Another good point depending on your outlook is the the components on the Preston such as leg blocks for example are screwed into the frame. instead of riveted , so if any problems with leg block, all you have to do is unscrew and fit a new one, not drill rivets out and re rivet.
My only gripe is that you have to buy shuttle adaptors, whereas with the Absolute Compact they were supplied, They could have been factored into the price and it would still be a good box for the money.

SpeedyJD

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can't find a schematic drawing of the MAP box (had to Google schematic lol). It does appear from a birds eye view that the MAP footplate is bigger which could be better for me being tall. With regard to the rivets, that doesn't bother me. Riveting is just as easy and I find as strong. Seams like both boxes are pretty good and no one has said anything negative yet. Think I need to go check them out and then wait for a good black Friday deal.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I measured the maximum width of the h30 lite in a shop yesterday -70cm. That’s the outer to each foot. That’s the same as SL30. The only sliding footplate canal style box that’s narrower is the Matrix f25/p25, accept your bad experience with Matrix. At 70cm as said previously not sure you are really saving much space if any over a frame box.

SpeedyJD

I measured the maximum width of the h30 lite in a shop yesterday -70cm. That’s the outer to each foot. That’s the same as SL30. The only sliding footplate canal style box that’s narrower is the Matrix f25/p25, accept your bad experience with Matrix. At 70cm as said previously not sure you are really saving much space if any over a frame box.
Hi Paul. Without going into exact detail. It's the height I can save space on. As I can either a) collapse it down on the H frame or b) I intend to whip the back legs off it, pull the footplate out (or off) and then be able to use the space under the seatbox to store my bait bag, pole holdall or pole roller bag.
Plus my box weighs a tonne and I've realised that when I'm fishing a match I only use a few pole rigs, scissors, tippex, plummet, disgorger, Stotz and a few other little bits. Why I have method feeders, pellet wagglers, 30 other rigs, line and so on with me is ridiculous when I know the venue I'm fishing and will never need any of that stuff. So I'll leave more stuff separately from my box. So I've no need for such a big box. The idea of halving the weight of all my gear already feels like a good idea.

Terry D

The taxpayers can afford it!
I’m suffering the same quandary after over 20 years with a Boss box. I changed to a Daiwa Tourney 500 box as it was a good deal off a mate but I find it far too heavy. I looked at the SL30 last week and was disappointed with the fact it didn’t have really shallow drawers for winders etc, plus the extending leg problem. I now need to look closely at the MAP and Matrix offerings, but I can’t see the point of deep(shallow) trays/drawers that only need to be a pole winder deep so to speak.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Preston do shallow drawer and winder tray units for the SL30 , they are cheaper than the Absolute at around £40

mbuna_matt

So with you on this
I've realised that when I'm fishing a match I only use a few pole rigs, scissors, tippex, plummet, disgorger, Stotz and a few other little bits. Why I have method feeders, pellet wagglers, 30 other rigs, line and so on with me is ridiculous when I know the venue I'm fishing and will never need any of that stuff.

I've been using the PI space saver (old model) which weighs a ton, and recently swapped for the MAP H30. Very impressed with the MAP box, its light and without the footplate / with minimal trays/drawers (1 thin drawer/1 thin tray) its very light (i.e carry-able) Being able to rotate the tightening knobs for the legs etc. out of the way when storing it is also a nice touch.

Being a cassette system you can have a tray / drawer either for venues you fish regularly or methods and swap them over as needed, thus avoiding the weight of your method gear on the canal.........

Two problems with the MAP box to watch for one- its wide so and doesn't fit too well on my trolley, and secondly as with most boxes the footplate is a pain if you get it out of alignment when raising or lowering it on the legs.

Matt

SpeedyJD

Just a quick follow up reply for anyone that is thinking of purchasing either box as I took a look at both boxes today.
One thing that everyone failed to mention, the Preston footplate doesn't pull out far enough. I'm 6ft 1" and my knees are more than 90 degrees with my feet at the front, no such problems with the MAP box.
I like that the MAP has two drawers and not just one draw and one deep tray like the Preston. MAP has 6 telescopic legs and all feel fairly solid. Quite a spindly little knob on the Preston on the legs and as stated only two telescopic. Both weighed about the same, think the Preston seat was a bit comfier but overall I reckon the MAP was a bit better.

Matt77

I've owned both boxes and I've stuck with the Preston inception SL30 . The MAP H30 had problems with the stitching and seems busting on the seat/lid within 3 outings from new . The Preston SL30 clips arent as good as Preston themselves make out....the clips on the old XS boxes were by far the best in my opinion , but as with all good things they discontinued the x6s and bought out the 3D which was not a patch on the x6s....
On a good note the great thing about sl30 is that it's incredibly lightweight and it's still a very comfortable and practical box for using on the water or with a platform .