Preston PXR vs Daiwa Whisker

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillm

I have narrowed it down to 2 reels: the daiwa whisker 2508 or the Preston pxr 3000.
Even though the pxr seems the most popular, a guy who had it told me the whisker was better. I havnt handled the pxr but the whisker looks better quality. It feel quality as it is metal and the pxr looks plasticy ( although it looks more attractive ).
Can anyone help?

Coolnick

Daiwa Whisker is by far the better model, go for the 3012 size though for feeder/pellet wag

gillm

Originally posted by Coolnick

Daiwa Whisker is by far the better model, go for the 3012 size though for feeder/pellet wag

Why is that? I thought that was meant for bigger fish.

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
I have the PXR 4000 which i use for feeder fishing.The PXR 3000 is the same only smaller and for float fishing.

It's a good reel,well made and robust enough for using the method feeder.

You get two spools with it,i have Korum line in 5lb and 8lb on the spools.

Its a front drag which is good and solid and can be adjusted to whatever tension you want the line too come off under pressure from a fish.

The only downside is the line clip,its complete pants. [:(!]

Its just a metal disc which you have to try and get the line behind and its a bugger to do.

Apart from the clip,a good solid reel which does what it says on the tin.

PoDd

Could you stretch to the Team Daiwa? the one inbetween the whisker and the TDR? Superb reels for the money, not a lot more than the whisker but has added features, I have 4 and can't fault them, couldn't justify the TDR's tho.

peteblade

Check out the older Diawa Excelor on ebay from Real Deal Tackle. Its the same speck as a Whisker and I believe its just been rebadged. I paid 60 for a pair of them.

Kaicat

I've had both and the Whisker wins hands down. Superb reel [:D]

Jim H

Get the Whisker. I have the 3012 - it's still a very small-bodied reel but with a nice wide spool. I also have a TDR, which for double the cash is obviously better, but in actual use the difference is marginal. (Although I do like the cast-lock feature of the TDR).

In fact, I'd say that the Daiwa Whisker reel hits the 'sweet spot' in terms of price and performance... if I were to rebuild my tackle from scratch I wouldn't look any further than them. Only problem is that the spools could be shallower.

Luckyphil

I'm very pleased with the pair of Whisker 3012's I've had for a few months now. Good clutch and great line lay. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 4000 size PXR has been discontinued now.

Nemesis

AMBER + BLUE
You are right about the PXR 4000 being discontinued:

Read this thread: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=109245&

Genus9 works in a tackle shop and knows what he is talking about.

It's a pity really as i have the PXR 4000 on the 10' Middy Works Feeder Rod and it fits and fishes beautifully.

Seeing as i have just purchased a PI 10' Mini Carp Rod i am now going too have to buy a new reel for it or wait for the 4500 to come out . [:(]

Think i might go for the Whisker 3012 though. [:D]

carlh

I have both the mentioned reels as well as the 10ft mini carp rod

and it is true the reel doesnt fit on the rod correctly,shame really coz its a good reel.

does the whisker fit properly on the mini carp rod as i have never tried it on it.

Coolnick

More winding power and actually still quite a small reel.

Originally posted by gillm

Originally posted by Coolnick

Why is that? I thought that was meant for bigger fish.

Frontdrag

Turdbrain
Daiwa every time i have had 2 prestons and both broke within 2 months, stick with a company with a pedigree worldwide for reels and a back up servive i think second to none

Genus9

Did'nt You take them back and as for a refund,

What actually broke on it??

As the reel is only around 18 months old the odd problem is going to appear but by showing Preston or any other manufacturer problems they won't be able to correct it,

In any venture feedback is what's needed to rectify problems,

Gillm, The PXR is metal and not plastic but I'd go for the Daiwa for the simple reason it's been tried and tested but give Preston a couple of more years and they'll get it right,

They've already replaced the PXR4000 with a Pxr4500 which will be out around September/October which will have a bigger spool and a different gearing, plus I've been told it'll be a bit lighter. [:)]

Frontdrag

Turdbrain
Originally posted by Genus9

Did'nt You take them back and as for a refund,

What actually broke on it??
I did and bought Daiwa straight away The 4000 had a broken handle out of the box the metal spline had the thread strippped on it on it and the line lay was so poor it went back and the 3000 had all the washers from behind the spool missing again out of the box to be honest i`m giving up with preston gear for big items reels seat boxes etc but thats a personal opinion based on my experience of the things i have bought small stuff seems fine

Status
Not open for further replies.