Preston pro expanders

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
These are the ones you don’t need to pump, simply soak them.

I have a watertight container and when making my flask to go fishing simply put the expanders in the container with cold water, seal it and a couple of hours later when setting up I have perfect expanders. Drain the water and just keep them damp. I even hair rigged one on the pellet feeder using a stretched band, in my view they are the perfect texture. My only minor picky gripe is that the 4mm ones are perhaps larger than some others - thinking about winter?

I’m freezing some at the moment as I did loads and didn’t need them, will report how they are once defrosted.

rd350lc

I think they have received a bit of stick on here , but I have been using them since they came out and think they are great .
Not had any problems myself with splitting etc

fredradac

Site Supporter
When you say Preston expanders do you actually mean Sonubaits expanders? Same company I believe.
Must admit that expander pellets are a bait I don't have faith in. I do have a pellet pump, a pretty rubbish one that came free with an order from Chapmans, but whenever I've prepared some with it they just don't stay on the hook.

dave_b

I’ve used them. I just pump them 15 mins before all in. Put in bait tub with water and they have been perfect every time.

davylad

Site Supporter
I reckon they might swell a little larger than stated. I much prefer Dynamite Baits expanders, thanks to Neil o t Nene who put me on to them.(y)

woolavy

I soak mine overnight in the fridge in just enough liquid to cover them, my liquid tends to be a 50/50 mix of water and some kind of bait liquid like pellet soak of bait tech juice perhaps etc. I have found they don't swell massively and stay really firm but hookable, so a happy occasional expander user here.

artist

30/03/06 - Mar 2019
In Memoriam
2 ways for me;
1. normal - cover with water night before in sm. snaplock airtight container filled to brim with water.
2. just covering to top of pellet with dynamite pellet soak.

Now its coming to winter - will also take lighter weight and softer spotted fin 4mm expanders to offer 2 weights and textures of soft pellet.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I think you are referring to the Sonubait Pro expanders which sink without being pumped. Best thing since sliced bread.

As suggested I soak mine overnight, and yes, they do stand being frozen.

PAB

Site Supporter
When you say Preston expanders do you actually mean Sonubaits expanders? Same company I believe.
Must admit that expander pellets are a bait I don't have faith in. I do have a pellet pump, a pretty rubbish one that came free with an order from Chapmans, but whenever I've prepared some with it they just don't stay on the hook.
try a little glycerine in the water with the pellets work wonders for me.

cns180784

Forget expanders just fish with hard pellets no prep required though i wont use them at all in winter except for 4mm soft hookers.

Why do people prefer expanders over hard pellets?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Because no hook is showing; they are lighter, so fish can suck them in more easily than a hard pellet; and they are softer which, it is suggested, makes them more amenable to fish on occasions when they are not really on the feed.

There's also another reason why expanders work sometimes better than hard pellets...but no-one knows what it is. In other words we don't know everything!

Rick123

Site Supporter
How big do 6mm Sonus-baits swell to please guys? I'm thinking about hiding a hook in them when margin fishing to stop foul hooking?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
How big do 6mm Sonus-baits swell to please guys? I'm thinking about hiding a hook in them when margin fishing to stop foul hooking?
Probably about the size of a piece of corn. Easy to hide a size 16 hook in. I use the 6mm most of the time but if I'm after F1's, I'll drop down to a 4mm. I find the Sonu ones much better than the Dynamite version, I think the Dynamite ones go too soft too quickly.

Billy the fish 1954

These are the ones you don’t need to pump, simply soak them.

I have a watertight container and when making my flask to go fishing simply put the expanders in the container with cold water, seal it and a couple of hours later when setting up I have perfect expanders. Drain the water and just keep them damp. I even hair rigged one on the pellet feeder using a stretched band, in my view they are the perfect texture. My only minor picky gripe is that the 4mm ones are perhaps larger than some others - thinking about winter?

I’m freezing some at the moment as I did loads and didn’t need them, will report how they are once defrosted.
They freeze ok, they do a 2mm have a bag but not tried them yet, they keep for a couple of weeks in cold water in the fridge

Total

Site Supporter
They freeze ok, they do a 2mm have a bag but not tried them yet, they keep for a couple of weeks in cold water in the fridge

I bought a bag of the 2mm Sonu Pro expander pellets just before last Christmas, to try out....Same excellent results. Well formed, generally consistent sized pellets, easy to prepare and use just like the others in the range...(y)

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Because no hook is showing; they are lighter, so fish can suck them in more easily than a hard pellet; and they are softer which, it is suggested, makes them more amenable to fish on occasions when they are not really on the feed.

There's also another reason why expanders work sometimes better than hard pellets...but no-one knows what it is. In other words we don't know everything!
How do the fish know a pellet is soft or hard until they have it in their mouths?

Blanks

Site Supporter
I use the sonu pro expanders in summer and the sensas ones in winter, sensas a bit smaller softer.