Preston M70 16m pole

CJROSCOW

Clint
Well I took my new m70 out on its first outing on Saturday and thought I would give a preliminary review. I purposely took it to clevely bridge fisheries near Garstang. Anyone who has fished there will know that although not a prolific venue, the carp canal with its far bank brambles, underwater roots and god knows what other snags combined with torpedoe strength carp will test any pole. Im pleased to say the pole passed with flying colours!
So what do I think:

-GIS Compatible TOP 4 so with the 8 kits provided and a spare 4th (now a 3rd) and my old kits I now have 16 kits laccied from no5 solid up to 16 solid to cover all eventualities + two more 4ths. The pulla kits dont show any discernible difference from the match kits at full length (16m) except when combined with my heaviest elastic (16) and a cad pot. Noticible, but not a major issue and well fishable. The match kits are strong and a max you can get through the pre-bushed kits is a 10 but I think they would easily take a 14 (I had carp out to five pound on an 8 elastic down the track with no issues). The pulla kits handle 16 solid no problem. Spot on cupping kit is good too as a few of my old kits are a tiny bit shorter.

-stiff light and strong. I was dragging carp out of far bank snags, fishing between 15 and 16m (two far bank lines) for over six hours and it was a joy to use. One handed fishing at full length to catapult or feed margins wasnt a chore at all. This is the kind of place where 2ft of elastic is heading in the far bank jungle before youve struck so getting these carp out by throwing the pole back and pulling hard was a great test of strength. It handled this easily and I will happily target double figure carp in margins based on this test. The sections are very robust.

-really smooth shipping. It was spitting on and off during the day and even with a partially wet pole it travelled through the hands nicely.

-3 half butts are useful that fit from 5th to 16m section. Protect when shipping and striking (not that the sections needs that) and also adds another level of balance if used at the back.

- tubes provided for all kits and sections, the butts dont need them as they are as strong as a rounders bat!

Negatives!

-Massive response monster holdall doesnt have a full-length zip and access is through a window section at the top. Makes accessing the half buts and top kits difficult as you have to tip the holdall upside down to get them to come to the top to access them! slows set up down.

-The wait. Had to wait nearly five weeks for deliverynot good enough Preston, but imo worth the wait. Spares seem readily available so Ill get over it.

Overall for 1450 this is a brilliant pole and it easily competes with poles in the 2k mark from other manufacturers (if not more). The only reason Id shell out more is if I wanted to fish over 16m as it is great at this length but anymore I think would be a push for it (or maybe me). Only one outing but a very good test of its abilities and Im very impressed. I look forward to many years fishing with this pole.

johnfranks

I use a colmic topkit case. Holds all my kits and the mini extensions. Fits in the holdall nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJROSCOW

Clint
Cheers John, how many as I have 16/possibly 19 carry, although to be fair I coul dprobably cut it down to less than 10 maybe even 6 if I know the venue.

johnfranks

I manage to get 10 in mine and the mini extensions.

Badger61

Milo top kit case is awesome. I can get at least a dozen in plus 3 mini extensions.

Foul ducker

Ive got the m70 too but can't say ive had to tip the holdall to access them? (That said mine are in pole section/rod tubes)
I keep my extensions in a cut down pole tube in the side pocket which still has room for my feeder arm and 2 net handles [:T]

blue orfe

The 3 butt extensions can all be fitted together to form a long section; much easier to get out then and can be kept in the main compartment.

Last edited:

CJROSCOW

Clint
Thanks blue orf. I shall do that. I was in two minds yesterday wether to move everything into the Gis holdall that I have in the shed as the top access drives me mad on the monster holdall.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Foul ducker. how long have you had the M70? i've taken mine out about five times now and love it. Anything I should watch out for?

Foul ducker

Had mine just over a year now pal and yes try not to stand on it [:I]
In seriousness its never let me down ive put a 20 solid in mid summer and only had chance to use it on 1 match so far but handled carp to 9-10lb at 11m so that dispelled any "breadstick" myths in my eyes
That said it handled foul hooked double figure carp on 15 hollo first time out...[:D]

CJROSCOW

Clint
Updated review. Probably been out with it about 12-15 times now, mostly fishing long on snake lakes for carp and F1's but also managed some short paste work for lumps before winter set in. Done everything I've asked of it. The last few sessions have been proper silver bashing jobs with light gear and the pole has execelled. From short roach fishing shallow, classic grounbait and maggot tactics for silvers on a top 4 at 13m to worm/pellet fishing for skimmers long at 14.5m. lots of striking and shipping done and the pole has done a great job, joints appear to be lasting wel too. My opinion has not changed. I think it has to be one of the best allrounders on the market. light, well blanced, strong, surprisingly stiff and responsive at 16m and great shipping even when partially wet. you wouldn't look out of place fishing opens with an m70. Not quite a top end pole but for 1450 a proper bargain. Well done Preston!!! :)

Total

Site Supporter
^^

Thank you for the update[:T]

....Am glad it has met your previous expectations and hopefully future needs.

....I've always been pleased with my Preston poles and seeing posts like yours reaffirms my thoughts on future Preston pole purchases.[:)][:T]

CJROSCOW

Clint
Yes Total. Preston poles have been massively underated for years but I for one are very glad that I use them and have for over a decade now. I'm not going to bash other brands but preston offer seriously good value for money. Even the M90 is cheap compared to other top end poles (although not strong enough imo for my style of fishing).