Preston innovations kit safe.

Jason622

I have been looking for a solution for fly away top kits. I was using the Preston tripod top kit holder.
On paper the newer top kit safe looked too be ideal. I bought one. Used it for the first time yesterday. Getting it out of the bag everything still looked good, perfect design until
You stick it on your box. Unless your wing span is akin to a California Condor the streeeeetttttcccchhhh to reach top kits makes it unfit for purpose. I contacted Des Shipp via Facebook having seen photos of his setup with the kit safe head right on the back edge of his side tray. Am I doing something wrong I asked. He advised me to get a short cross arm with a snaplock head to position roost head close to side tray. Which means for all intents & purposes that the kit safe as supplied is useless.
I am 5’11”. With arms that aren’t unduly short. Almost fell
Off my box trying to reach my kits. If Des Shipp has had to modify his to make it practical.... who is field testing these products. So disappointed. I’m tempted to cut it back 8” and re rivet the bit that fits on seatbox leg. If not, keep your eyes on eBay. Don’t waste your hard earned unless you are 7 foot plus you will struggle all day to reach your top kits. Rant ... er ... review over.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Seems odd. Looking at the pics of these, they seem close to the box with little or no reaching.

1568633933456.png

Here's a bit from a write up about them...

The single 36-D attachment can be fixed to your box leg in any position, crucially keeping all of your top kits close to hand right where you need them and is supplied with an 8 section roost head and a corresponding captive EVA rear head complete with Pulla Bung friendly back plate.

Jason622

Seems odd. Looking at the pics of these, they seem close to the box with little or no reaching.

View attachment 20875

Here's a bit from a write up about them...

The single 36-D attachment can be fixed to your box leg in any position, crucially keeping all of your top kits close to hand right where you need them and is supplied with an 8 section roost head and a corresponding captive EVA rear head complete with Pulla Bung friendly back plate.
I agree looks great in the pics. That’s why I bought it. I think that all the Preston “stars” are modifying theirs. Look at online pics of Des. Lee Kerry et al. No stretching needed but they are not using the kit safe straight out of the bag .... guaranteed

Jason622

I agree looks great in the pics. That’s why I bought it. I think that all the Preston “stars” are modifying theirs. Look at online pics of Des. Lee Kerry et al. No stretching needed but they are not using the kit safe straight out of the bag .... guaranteed
1C4C9A11-63CE-4077-9A5B-B16FDEE71662.png

dubdog

I have the deluxe version. But don't use the nearest roost that clips into the kit safe. I screw a roost into the top of my side tray leg. So I can reach my top kits and rods. Don't think this product has been thought out that well and no way should you have to buy extra bits of kit!.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Don't have a problem reaching them ,the problem I have is that if there is anything more than just a gentle breeze they get blown off or fall off ,there is nothing to grip them at female end of section the hole in the foam is too big .

dubdog

This how I use mine I have a 150mm leg extension to increase the height and screw a roost into it. IMG_20190917_180231266.jpg IMG_20190917_180206714.jpg IMG_20190917_180216454.jpg IMG_20190917_180221649.jpg

dirtycombats

hi
im looking to purchase a roost that will also take rods on reading these reviews what other options are there
thanks

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’m not understanding the problem, those who know me will know I’m a short arse, so certainly not 7’ with long arms and I have no problem with mine, can reach it easily. Great bit of kit, well worth the money.

EAABF209-27FA-4FE1-A0E4-C7C7834061D1.jpeg

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’m not understanding the problem, those who know me will know I’m a short arse, so certainly not 7’ with long arms and I have no problem with mine, can reach it easily. Great bit of kit, well worth the money.

View attachment 37066
I have that one as well. I think it’s a better option than the larger pro one. Although I’m going to make or buy an attachment to take it a little farther away from the box, as I see you have.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Preston comp pro roost deluxe.
Love it spare rods.etc etc
Prefer to both the others mentioned i'v had all 3