Preston Inertia 420 reel

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I’m looking to get a backup feeder reel to give me the option of using both of my feeder rods at the same time.
As this is only likely to be backup to my Daiwa Ninja reel, I don’t want to spend more than £50.
As I own a couple of Daiwa reels and a Shimano, I thought I’d look at getting a Preston reel just to try something different. Does anyone have any experience of the Preston Inertia reels?

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a Frenzee reel that I bought from ebay a shop have had a few up for auction recently so I put a silly bid in and got one for less than £20 +pp, I bid more out of curiosity really but was quite surprised when it came, it is quite smooth and it comes with 2 alloy spools, both single and double handles plus it has a sort of backwind brake which is quite handy if like me you play your fish on the backwind (you can leave the anti reverse off and you don't get overruns) quality wise I would say it is about level or slightly better than say a Daiwa Ninja so not top of the range but still decent. Even at the buy it now price of £39.99 inc pp they are not bad value for money, but if you want to pay less they seem to still be auctioning some

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I have a Frenzee reel that I bought from ebay a shop have had a few up for auction recently so I put a silly bid in and got one for less than £20 +pp, I bid more out of curiosity really but was quite surprised when it came, it is quite smooth and it comes with 2 alloy spools, both single and double handles plus it has a sort of backwind brake which is quite handy if like me you play your fish on the backwind (you can leave the anti reverse off and you don't get overruns) quality wise I would say it is about level or slightly better than say a Daiwa Ninja so not top of the range but still decent. Even at the buy it now price of £39.99 inc pp they are not bad value for money, but if you want to pay less they seem to still be auctioning some

Thanks NeJohn - I will take at look at these.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I bought a couple of Inertia 420 reels when i started fishing again last year. Have used them for feeder fishing since, nothinh heavy duty but they have performed as well as they should, no issues.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I bought a couple of Inertia 420 reels when i started fishing again last year. Have used them for feeder fishing since, nothinh heavy duty but they have performed as well as they should, no issues.
Thanks Stewie. 👍

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Quick update for you, I purchased the Preston Inertia reel and used it on Friday for the first time. It felt smoother than the Ninja reel under tension but the Ninja feels better balanced in your hand. It is a good backup, not fantastic but hopefully will do a solid job.

I’ve also been a bit greedy in that I’m trying to get my hands on one of the Frenzee reels mentioned by @nejohn on EBay. I’ve been unsuccessful so far but hopefully I can pickup a bargain. I don’t need it tbh but us anglers cannot help ourselves 😋😂

I've noticed that a lot of "Spinning" reels look and have the same gearing as reels marketed as float/feeder reels but are way cheaper. What is the real position on this, can anyone put me straight?🤔🎣

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I've noticed that a lot of "Spinning" reels look and have the same gearing as reels marketed as float/feeder reels but are way cheaper. What is the real position on this, can anyone put me straight?🤔🎣
Do you mean for lure fishing? If so, they generally have much smaller spools.

Do you mean for lure fishing? If so, they generally have much smaller spools.
No, I mean as a float reel. If you look at say, a Shimano 3000 "spinning" reel versus a Sonik SKSC3000 "commercial" reel, the gear ratios are the same. The body looks pretty much the same, so is it just the spool size/diameter etc that's different? I'm on a tight budget so if I can pay less for essentially the same item I'm quids I'm really. 🎣😉

Simon R

Site Supporter
No, I mean as a float reel. If you look at say, a Shimano 3000 "spinning" reel versus a Sonik SKSC3000 "commercial" reel, the gear ratios are the same. The body looks pretty much the same, so is it just the spool size/diameter etc that's different? I'm on a tight budget so if I can pay less for essentially the same item I'm quids I'm really. 🎣😉
The vast majority of Shimano reels (ignoring the bait runners) are made for the American market which is enormous compared to ours and most of the fishing they do is with lures. Hence the packaging will say spinning reel.
Once over almost all fixed-spool reels were sold as 'spinning reels' - the closed face ABU reels of the 70s were all spinning reels originally - the 507 was recommended for salmon fishing:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I bought a Mitchell 300 in the States whilst on holiday over there about 20 years ago and that said spinning reel on the box too

I wouldn't read a lot into the title

Simon