Preston Ignition Rods

Nasha

There was a new range of Preston rods announced during their new product launch a few weeks ago. Aimed at the value for money market these new rods look to hold an extremely attractive price range of £50 - £70.

Carp Feeder - 9/10/11ft
Method Feeder - 12ft
Pellet Waggler - 10/11ft

I read somewhere that the aim with this range was to replace their 'Tyson' rods, which even by their own admissions weren't very successful. So an improvement on 'not all that' isn't really much to shout about but I'd hope a firm like Preston would see and improve massively on any short comings for a replacement, even though its the entry level set of rods.

I quite like the look of them and even if they aren't "Absolutely purrrrrfect" I'm still looking forward to receiving mine.

List here, unfortunately not too many technical specs: Preston Ignition Rods

Expected release date is any time soon (mid-Nov) so what does everyone think we can expect from them?

Nasha

Those Tyson rods were so poor that Des Shipp used the 9ft to win himself £25000 at the Parkdean Final last year when he could have used any of the rods in the Preston range. ? ?
Not a bad angler is he :)

Nasha

There were lots of reports around the tips breaking too easily on the Tyson's. Whether or not it was user error... 🤷‍♂️

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If they have replaced the tysons it's interesting that they haven't replaced the float version. My dads got the 13ft version and it's by far the best comfortably sub £100 float rod I've ever used or handled as it actually has something approaching a proper float rod action which is rare at that price. It's much better than similar priced offers by the likes of maver, daiwa and drennan.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The rod itself isn’t that bad. A bit more power low down would have been nice but, Tysons weren’t mega bucks from new, you can’t have everything can you ? It was the poor quality tips on the early versions that was the problem. I had one. Thought it would suit me for method but, gave it away after the first outing and went back to my old mini carps.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Two well used 10ft minis, great for tench and bream method fishing. 20150601_072030.jpg

Chrissill

I’ve got 2 Tyson 9ft feeder rods , and I think they’re good, they get used a fair bit I the summer, not had any problems with them ???
I’ve got the 9ft and 11ft, I’ve absolutely battered them and never had an issue. Great rods for the price imho 👍

Team KDB

Any one here used a

9ft Preston Ignition Pellet Waggler Rod​

and the​

9ft Preston Ignition Carp Feeder Rod​

seems a good price,they are to be used and abused and will they land carp up to 8lb and the odd one at 15lb 👍

Millers75

@Millers75 did it feel it was underpowered at anytime,i don’t want to be playing the big boys for 15mins and can you bend into it without locking up. 👍
All fine bends lovely caught fish about 30m out took about 5 mins to get into netting distance. Didn't seem to be underpowered when landing. I have the supera 11ft which is brilliant but cost a lot more . Bought this mainly for bomb/method short . Very good piece of kit for price .Thinking of getting the ignition method 12ft when ive tried this out a bit more

Team KDB

That is my intention 20yds to 25yds maximum with hook length up to 6lb and 18/16 hooks and 6/8 mm pellet, 12/14 hook with 10mm pellet. 😉

Nasha

I've both the 9 and 11ft carp feeders and although I've not yet had a double on them I've no doubt they'll be fine.

Yesterday I used the 11ft pellet waggler rod with a 3000 Shimano Sahara reel and had over thirty 6-9.5lb carp throughout the day. Only lost 2, so not a bad ratio. Was desperate for the double figure but it never came. 0.18 hypersensor (5lb in old money), 6 gram Drennan pellet waggler, size 12 Guru GPW ready tied to 15" of 9lb N-Guage and a wheel barrow full of 8mm mainline pellets. Rod was absolutely perfect handled them all no problem - and some of the carp were very very angry. Casts lovely too but I think the hypersensor line was helping in that respect.

For budget rods they really are the business. They feel light to hold (to me anyway) have a good action and will bend all the way through when it comes to it (which you can see from the Preston adverts for them) and really power up when the bigger boys try to charge off.

That's my less than technical opinion on rod actions :geek:, but considering the price, I don't know how anyone would be disappointed with one. Go for it mate.

markyboy

I have the 10' Carp Feeder and it does feel a little under gunned, trying to get 8lb carp up to the surface for netting had the rod bent all the way from handle to tip, lovely action and the bend had no signs of a flat spot but felt a little bit more beef lower down would have allowed me to net fish a bit quicker, using 6lb Daiwa sensor mainline and 0.17 Guru ngauge hooklength.