Preston ICS Feeder system

Steve49

Has anyone had problems with ICS system. Started using these earlier this year and 3 times the line has broke straight after a bite before I have struck! The break is at the feeder end so I know it’s not a fault with the rod or reel.
Just wondering if anyone else has had same problem.
Thanks.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I use ICS feeders all the time and I’ve never had a line break. Can’t see that it’s the feeders that are the problem. What BS line are you using?

alsur

Site Supporter
I also use ICS all the time and although line has broke a couple of times I think that was when line had been weakened.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Are you losing the feeder each time, if so try using heavier line or improve your knot skills ...its not the feeder at fault.

rufcuk

I would say line or knot skills - for example I was using colmic nxgen feeder line and discovered that it was only really good for one session - once it dried by next session it became brittle

steve_d

Ive had problems with the line slot at the back not being totally clear from new, requiring a penknife to be run through the slot to open up. Perhaps this is nicking the line?

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
I have one of these that i'm thinking of giving try once i can get my hands on some of the preston quick change feeder beads (i like bolt effect) it's the XL 30g version.

i'll be fishing with 6lb maxima mainline and 7lb n-gauge hook lengths so i'll let you know if i encounter any breakages.

geofflukins

When you say strike do you mean your whipping the rod round? With a feeder just let the bite develop no need to strike as the fish will hook themselves. Wait for the tip to be pulled round and stay round. Although saying that you can get drop back bites where the fish picks up the feeder and swims towards you. If you have a slight bend in the tip you will see it go straight. Just wind in until you catch up with it and start to get a bend in the rod.

marcusp

I have one of these that i'm thinking of giving try once i can get my hands on some of the preston quick change feeder beads (i like bolt effect) it's the XL 30g version.

i'll be fishing with 6lb maxima mainline and 7lb n-gauge hook lengths so i'll let you know if i encounter any breakages.
If you only own one it defeats the whole idea of having the ics system. Hope you dont lose it lol

rd115

If you only own one it defeats the whole idea of having the ics system. Hope you dont lose it lol

Didn't want to buy 5 incase they're rubbish lol will give it a try today off fishing this afternoon/evening.

rd115

had about 15 casts today before i got rained on, no crack offs but this feeder sucks compared to the Drennans, can cast those much more accurately, and i prefer the Drennan mould.

Inspected the line after using the Preston ICS and couldn't see any evidence of fraying or anything (6lb Maxima).

Paul22

Has anyone had problems with ICS system. Started using these earlier this year and 3 times the line has broke straight after a bite before I have struck! The break is at the feeder end so I know it’s not a fault with the rod or reel.
Just wondering if anyone else has had same problem.
Thanks.
Do you run the feeder on a single strand of line ? I always double it up in a big loop for extra security.

rd115

Well I wont be using a Preston method feeder again. Lost it in a tree lol.

Switched back to the Drennan and I'm a much happier camper, casts so much more accurately.

welsh_fisherman

Fish the ICS system all the time on a single line, never had the line break and have left the bead, stem and cap on the line on a rod sleeve. No issues, real easy to change between banjo, method and straight lead.

mbuna_matt

Only had the line go with an ICS banjo once. On reflection the set up had been heavily used the week before and I suspect had been damaged over the rim of the landing net. In future I won't leave a rig set up but cut the last 12" of line off in case.......

Matt