Preston Hooks - Quality Control Issues?

robinta

Hi all.

Since returning to fishing I've tried to simplify the tackle I use, and have tried to narrow down hook patterns I use.

Ive been using a few Preston patterns for my commercial fishing and picked up some KKH-Bs ready tied as hair rigs, for fishing a hybrid feeder today.

I'd gone for a size 14 to 0.19 and was catching carp from 2-7lbs.

I was a bit surprised to have 3 of the hooks open out on me. I was using my new PI Ignition carp feeder (which was a total delight), so wouldn't have thought either the size of fish or rod would cause this.

I thought this was a pretty heavy pattern? Anyone else had this, or maybe I needed a thicker gauge wire?

As I'm more of a pole angler, I don't have hook straightening happen very often, but on my last trip I had 3-4 hooks come off on fish. These were Preston again a 14 XSH spade end.

On thst occasion I swapped eventually to a Matrix MXC2 in the same size, and didnt have any more issues. I'm firmly of the mindset that the spade end was cutting the line.

Obviously, this isn't a scientific test, but anyone else had issues?

Do I just chalk it off to random problems or should I consider moving to Guru /matrix?

Cheers

Robin

Stewie74

Making it up as I go along…..
Site Supporter
Had similar issues with Preston pre-tied hooks a while back. Try the QM1, I’ve had no issues whatsoever since switching👍👍

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
The only way ive had the kkh open slightly is on foul hooked fish where they turn on the unusual hook hold. Never had it open on a properly hooked fish. I do use the Preston MCM (similar to qm1) in size 12 and 14 as my strongest hook pattern. I also use the XSH and not had issues, perhaps give it a longer test. I’ve worried about losing fish on a specific hook in the past then had a couple of sessions without issue to get my confidence again. That said I think all the Teflon coated hooks from Preston, Matrix and Guru are quality It just comes down to personal preference, availability and which one you tried first!

robinta

The KKH opening didn't feel like foul hooked, especially as on a hybrid feeder (although it's possible)

I think in both cases I was trying to bully the Carp out of the Reeds they knew could get them free, so there's that.

Maybe just not as heavy a gauge as I'd expected - plus, even the smaller fish were pulling

robinta

*time for a bit of a retraction here *

I wasn't using KKH hooks, I was using kkM! This would explain why they were opening out.. Clearly not as strong a hook as I needed.

I feel I've complained unnecessarily!

Stewie74

Site Supporter
*time for a bit of a retraction here *

I wasn't using KKH hooks, I was using kkM! This would explain why they were opening out.. Clearly not as strong a hook as I needed.

I feel I've complained unnecessarily!
Still try the QM1, they’re awesome👍👍

Stewie74

Site Supporter
And also try the MWG, they are even more awesomer!:love:(y)
QM1’s come in 4 inch pretied for hybrid/method feeder work. I might be wrong but I thing MWG only come in 6inch?

robinta

I couldn't get the Guru pre-tied I wanted, so I've gone for some matrix mx3s on 4" to try.. I really like matrix hooks so see how they go next trip out. Thanks folks

Total

Site Supporter
QM1’s come in 4 inch pretied for hybrid/method feeder work. I might be wrong but I thing MWG only come in 6inch?
Possibly Stewie, but I tie all my own hook lengths so can have any length I want....Although the QM1 is a decent hook the points turn over too easily for my liking, hence the MWG use....I suppose if push came to shove the pretied MWG's could always be shortened down to suit....

Dropon

Never had a problem with Guru MWG barbless eyed ,use 18 16 14 12 all tied by myself. Also use Preston KKM barbless, no issues.