Preston Hardcase Luggage

Jeff Wye

Decided to change my luggage as my long serving Mosella stuff had worn out and bought some Preston Kit, A 190cm Hardcase Monster Single Holdall and a Hardcase Carryall.
First impressions are good, had to rearrange things a little, my Preston pole roost came out of it's own bag into my Maver XL pole roller bag(it fitted in the Mosella Pole compartment) and I will still use the Drennan rod sleeves as the Preston one takes all the room and is heavier and I need to put bait brolly and couple of other things in where the sleeve goes as well (Sold it already!)Sensible velcro ties in two zip compartments for the pole without tubes.
Carryall is larger than Mosella with two zipped end compartments taking pellet/groundbait bags and smelly bottles in other side, a zipped side compartment takes all my bits,cap, and bit of hardware and will take my Goretex in the summer, a flapped cover that takes my Preston tray and sliding bowl, though they haven't made so it fastens over the swivel fixing bracket, but does to the side of it.
Lots of room for the summer pellet onslaught!

Wil report further with use as I will get it dirty tomorrow, if it lasts anywhere as long as my Mosella I will be happy.

I am sure there are people who have used it that have an opinion.

Couldn't find and existing thread on the search.[:)]

DooGie

Site Supporter
Can't believe you've sold the rod sleeve Jeff [:(]
For me it comes in useful for light trips without the holdall, a couple of made up rods and a net handle in it and I'm away.
It's good quality stuff though and I don't regret buying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul.P

Hi Jeff, any particular reason you've not just bought a new set of Mosella luggage, you seemed to be pretty happy with it, or did you think the Preston stuff was better ?.

ben1849

the preston hardcase range is nowhere near as good as it used to be. they use inferior materials compared to what they first used back in 2008/2009 when i first bought their normal hardcase range. the hard parts of the design are now made of a softer material, the black covering material is thinner and not as hardwearing. from this range (in 2008/09) i have the rod holdall, the double rod sleeve, the carryall and reel cases. these are excellent, and are only showing the usual wear and tear. i'm confident they will go on for a few more years yet. when i've seen other anglers newer hardcase products, just from the feel i can tell they're nowhere near as good as the originals. it bugged me, so i had a feel in the shop to check if was just on the bank, but it was the same. its a shame really, as if they were made to the original standard, i'd buy the range in a heartbeat.

the monster hardcase range is only hardcase in name. ie no rigidity to them. i have the monster bait bag, monster tackle and net bag and monster triple net bag. they don't have hard parts anywhere in the design! it seems a bit of fib on preston's part to class them as a hardcase products.

don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of preston gear circa 2008-10. its just the newer stuff now is farmed out as quick as possible, due to there being many preston fanboys that buy their products as soon as they appear in the magazines. regardless if they're any good or not.

after reading that back, it is a bit of a rant! i do opologise!

[:d]

methodgob

yoda
Totally agree, the original blue stuff was much harder wearing.

The monster holdall is nost as stiff and the outer rips fairly easy on sharp metal, whereas the original didn't.

The interior of the carryall starts to peel off too leaving the bag almost see through and not water resistant(think tea bag!)

I'm thinking of switching to the garbolino plasticky blue stuff, looks hard wearing.

johnfranks

Hi,, still using the original Blue Preston Hardcase Holdall without the umbrella pocket.Must be near 6 or 7 years old and still going strong only thing I have had done is the handle restitched on by a friend who makes saddles . The Carryall has only just fallen apart, had a rodent attack while I was away, so guess that would still be ok now. I have the Black one now, must say looks identical and feels identical to the blue, guess time will tell if it is as good.

cant win

is it just me or do the zips go on your preston gear holdall, net bag,my hard case caryall finished up in the bin due to all the inner lining breaking up and disintegrating.think i will be getting the mosella luggage next.

THESLABCATCHER

TEAM JINX
I have a Hardcase carryall 2010, tuff as old boots cant fault it at all, and I have two of the Monster double holdalls other than a small tear in the fabric on one, im not sure how it happened I cant complain both 18 months old now, so far so good [:)]

Jeff Wye

Just decided to go for a change that's all, we'll see how it goes. I do have other double rod cases if I want to take two rods but as I only fish matches as a rule it's not often I need jus rods, maybe an odd pleasure trip to the Taunton Tone when it isn't raging through!
As I said my Drennan ready bags give me a bit of room to put a couple of other things in the space as the Preston isn't quite as roomy as the Mosella Kompact, probably due to having two pole compartments, but so far so good, got it nice and muddy yesterday so it's well christened. Time will tell. The only hard part of the carryall by the way is the base, much easy to clean I would think.
Cheers[:)]

Last edited:

carlh

Site Supporter
You must be mad buying the preston gear,it lets more water in than out

Jeff Wye

We'll see, I have to try before comment, didn't let any in the torrential Sunday, the suits do though but they vary, some say they do, some say the don't, mine fairly newish (two seasons) Celsius let's it in around the behind even with the double skin. Goretex with more undies next year, have Goretex for the summer, never let any in, just need a bib n brace as I have trousers.

hemphead2

hemphead2
cant believe the preston gear will last as long as the Mosella stuff but i may be wrong.

slappy

has waved bye bye
Site Supporter
Yes can t believe ya sold the hardcase to me ;-)
I just wanted it to put my 3rd set up rod in for certain areas,will do me jeff!
As said don t think as well made as old blue holdall own!

Jeff Wye

Never one to make uneccessary profit James & I dont need it. Cya soon

Jeff Wye

After a couple of months so far so good. The carryall is bigger than my ols Mosella so I'm able to but 'Clippa' Boxes from Proper Job and put my oellet in, it will take four and still my bait boxes etc, clothes and bit and bobs in side pocket, extra groundbait in end pockets.
Holdall takes two of my Drennan sleeves, that gives me space to slide in my bait brolly and a couple of bits, broly sits in the pocket inside with 2 landing net handles in the other, got room for my margin pole as well as my pole two extensions with 3 tops in each and two top two tubes with two in each (Folded)It does turn over flatter in between our boxes and bags in the car so that a help, I can't believe I used to get three in my cars easily now just about get two and it's a fairly big car!
Takes a while to sort things out and remember where you put them in anything new but I think we are there now.
Just have to keep a check on the wear aspect now.

Maddiesdad

Great reviews lads im bidding on this which from what I read is the old design any advice on how high I should go ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300897015731?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649