Preston feeder feeda rod reel set up.

brantwood

Hi guys and gals.
Was wondering what people's thoughts on the preston feeder feeda rod and which reel would be the best to use bearing in mind the wired bait up cage feeder large size is 45grm plus bait weight. Any ideas.

Silver fan 82

Hi guys and gals.
Was wondering what people's thoughts on the preston feeder feeds rod and which reel would be the best to use bearing in mind the wired bait up cage feeder large size is 45grm plus bait weight. Any ideas.
Do you mean which reel size wise?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hiya matey. Do you mean the new Preston Ignition feeder rods or the reels ? Thanks.

Nicky Dodds

Why not buy a cheap 2nd hand barbel rod or heavy feeder rod? Just because they tell you it's for feeding your peg it doesn't mean it's any better than other rods. They're trying to convince you they're re-inventing the wheel.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Why not buy a cheap 2nd hand barbel rod or heavy feeder rod? Just because they tell you it's for feeding your peg it doesn't mean it's any better than other rods. They're trying to convince you they're re-inventing the wheel.
I use a Daiwa Whisker 12’ carp rod. Am I a heathen ? 🤣

rudd

Site Supporter
Hi guys and gals.
Was wondering what people's thoughts on the preston feeder feeda rod and which reel would be the best to use bearing in mind the wired bait up cage feeder large size is 45grm plus bait weight. Any ideas.
The thing to bear in mind with spooding reels is they take one hell of a beating when in use.
There is no point in putting a cheap reel on the rod as the internals will crumble very quickly.
I use an old poker stick rod by badger (found abandoned at lake) which is rubbish for fishing by ok for a light spod.
On that I have a shimano Triton baitrunner as it's built like a tank.
One of the original baitrunners built for sea fishing so I know the internals are solid😉

I would recommend the shimano aerlex out of this lot.
Its stood the test of time for heavy spod and beach casting work.

brantwood

Thanks Rudd for info sorry for late responce. I do have a shimano aero that I use to use in my carping days so that should be ok do you think. Got rid of all.my carp rods though apart from a Terry Hearn special build and i don't want to use that. Although now preston have brought out the new line of reels for good money may be the big size in them would be ok. Cheers