Preston Edge Monster

Whisker

Site Supporter
Took delivery of my Preston Edge Monster 10m Pole last week (despite some early resistance, lockdown fever got me).

My first impressions were:

The bag is a bit naff.
The top kits are long (longer than I’m used to anyway).
Only one small diameter tube for an elasticated top kit. Solved this minor problem by nabbing a bigger tube out the garage.

Comes with 2 top kits that I decided to experiment with. Thought I’d try the Matrix Slik and opted to put green 16-18 in one and red 18-20 in the other. A bit heavy maybe, but I have NG Twin Core 14-16 in my main pole inter-lastics, so the Edge is kitted for munters and snags.

Tried it out today (albeit only to 8.5m) and my thoughts are:
A bit bouncy at the tip - yes.
Positives:
The top kits you soon get used to.
The pole feels nice and slim and it is very light.
This pole is very strong... don’t be deceived!

Been the Glebe today and clicked 153lb, mostly down the margins and to 8.5 against the reeds with this pole. Got snagged up twice in the reeds but I would say that was me not being quick enough. For the money, a great pole and great value. If you’re thinking about getting one... go for it! You won’t be disappointed.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Angling direct are doing the 8.5m for £134.99... with discount down from £149.99... I think the 10m is £199

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Spate top 2's are £30 If I remember correctly so you can kit yourself out with a few extra tops quite cheaply

Whisker

Site Supporter
When shopping around I found a place selling it for £170 but they’d sold out. I picked mine up for £180 from Bristol Angling. Might pick a couple of spare top kits up. Forgot to say the Matrix Slik is different to the Preston and NG I’m used to but I do like it. Will see how it goes on the next couple of trips, I might be a convert to that too.

Dean56

Site Supporter
I bought one in the winter of 2019 , an impulse buy I have to say as I never saw the attraction in pole fishing. Just a toy to play around with I thought. Had a great time with topkit plus 3, at the time I thought it was very heavy, more about that later. Amazed how many fish I caught at 6 m , great fun hand feeding, very simple fishing ,especially in bad weather. Came out of lockdown 1.0 with a bit of spare cash, my local shop offered me , as usual , a cracking deal on a MAP TKS 101 plus all the bits for pole fishing , They know I’m a cheap slut and they only have to utter the words “I’ll do you a good deal” and me wallet is on the counter.Now a committed fan of the pole, having now fished with a 13m pole, the Monster margin feels light as a feather , although fished at a much shorter length . Now got my eyes on a TKS 401 when the weather gets better!.
If you want to dip your toe into pole fishing the Monster margin is the ideal starter pole, I’ve used one of the top kits with Drennan 6-8 bungee set not to tight and dont bump off many silvers, and landed some real lumps as well.
If you start on topkit plus 3 for a few trips and then add the butt section after you are used to the feel of a pole, you will find it very pleasant to handle, although its heavy compared to a top end pole at the same length , the balance is very good.
I still find it hard to believe how much fun I’ve had with a pole at the bottom price point for a pole of reasonable quality.
I was a bit clumsy the first couple of trips, no worries though the pole is absolutely bulletproof, survived being dropped, pushed through hedges etc. . Would be ideal for kids as well.

After many many years of fishing I’ve never tried Pole fishing, busy reading and watching YouTube and it seems the 8.5 version of this Edge Monster Margin Pole would be a reasonable starter for a tight fist light me. Sub £150 and has scope to get extra kits. So for a complete novice at this Pole malarkey fishing are there other poles I should consider? I’m being guided by what I’ve seen regarding margin poles are where I should start (which is handy ‘cus they fit my budget).

Final question, normally I’d avoid any telescopic rods but do they have a place in pole fishing?

Cheers

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Telescopic whips are designed for catching small fish quickly with a similar length of line fixed to the end of the whip, line to hand as its known although some people elasticate them.
Generally in the UK they are 3,4,5,6 metre but in Italy they have them to 11 metres .....very little wind over there compared to us.