preston edge monster vs daiwa power carp x

hi all iam looking at buying my first pole have never used one before but like the look of them i’ve seen a couple of ones i think would be ok for a first pole they are the preston edge monster and the daiwa power carp x was wondering if any one had any experience using both poles and could advise which one would be best i tried the preston edge monster 10 m at angling direct and thought it was a bit floppy and the end but suppose thats to be expected at the price range but can’t find any reviews for the daiwa power carp x thanks for the advice

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
Hi Mustard, welcome to the forum.
I’ve not used both the poles listed but I did have an Edge.

Agree, the Edge is too floppy (I sold it after a couple of outings); nice, light pole and usable at 8.5m but as bouncy as a bouncy ball on a bouncy castle at 10m - I found it hard to control when lifting into a bite.

I replaced it with a second hand Yank n Bank and it’s so much better. One reason I bought that was because it interchanges with my Whisker.

Without having held a Power Carp X, if that’s what you’ve narrowed your choice down to, I’d go for the Daiwa.

cheers whisker i was edging more towards the 8.5 m preston as think i would struggle with anything much bigger with my glass back did u find that a bit of the bounce went out of it at 8.5 ?

Whisker

Proud Maggotdrowner
Site Supporter
Yes definitely. It was ok at 8.5, light, strong but some bounce. At 10m it was difficult - too much bounce.
For the money a good pole at 8.5m, but not at 10m.

Simon R

Site Supporter
For the extra £30 I think I'd be tempted to buy the 10m version - you don't have to use the last section but there'll always be that time when you just want to get that little bit further and can't quite reach - or does that kind of thing only happen to me :p

I bought mine before the 10m version was released and ended buying the extension to take it to 10m (a more expensive option) and I think have only used it twice - but it's nice to know it's available just in case.

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
For the extra £30 I think I'd be tempted to buy the 10m version - you don't have to use the last section but there'll always be that time when you just want to get that little bit further and can't quite reach - or does that kind of thing only happen to me :p

I bought mine before the 10m version was released and ended buying the extension to take it to 10m (a more expensive option) and I think have only used it twice - but it's nice to know it's available just in case.

Simon
Does the 8.5m pole fit into the 10m section?
(I know it has a half meter short section)
Or is it a non stacking( is that the right term???) Section

Arry

Site Supporter
On the lookout for one...👍

Martin hall

Site Supporter
I've got the 13 m power carp x as I don't use a pole too often as I only pleasure fish. I find it a bit difficult at full length but at 10 or 11.5m it's great caught everything from a 2 ounce roach to an 8 pound carp with no issues

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Although there will be some in the shops still the 10 metre version of the Edge monster has been discontinued in favour of the 8.5 metre only but you can still buy the 10 metre extension just costs a little more.

Arry

Site Supporter
The cheapest 10m ext I've seen is £71 online from Total Tackle (via ebay - 2 left)

booboo

Site Supporter
Although there will be some in the shops still the 10 metre version of the Edge monster has been discontinued in favour of the 8.5 metre only but you can still buy the 10 metre extension just costs a little more.
Interesting that they've discontinued the 10m. Pretty much an admition that it's not great at that length?

Arry

Site Supporter
I did contemplate the 10m Edge Monster when the wife offered to buy me one, but the lads in AD said it was better at 8.5m than 10... as well as the fact I struggle with anything too long... so I went with the shorter version... did look at sourcing the 10m extension... but I'll save me money for my cane pole refurbs...😉😛🤣

i have managed to get the 8.5 edge for 135£ of ebay new so have opted for that one i know the 10metre option would of made sense but i did try one set up in angling direct and it was abit floppy prob won’t even use the 8.5 a lot at full length and 135 is the cheapest i have seen it

Simon R

Site Supporter
Must admit, mine is used the most at top kit + 2 sections - it's rare that I use the butt section, the 10m extension or even the dolly butt.
But , as I mentioned before, it's always nice to have just in case

Simon

booboo

Site Supporter
Must admit, mine is used the most at top kit + 2 sections - it's rare that I use the butt section, the 10m extension or even the dolly butt.
But , as I mentioned before, it's always nice to have just in case

Simon
Same here. Unwritten rule of pole fishing is whatever pole you have it's generally a meter shorter than you could do with!

Arry

Site Supporter
I rarely used my pole over about 8mts anyway and with my back getting progressively worse over the years, it made sense to move on the 14.5mt one and get a shorter one...👍