Preston DriFish Bib And Brace.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Looking for a decent all year round Bib&Brace. I really like the looks of the Preston Bib&Brace at around £50.00.

Just wondering if anybody has one, If so whats the quality like?
Is it relatively slim fitting or is it baggy? I don't like baggy clothing. I have between a 36-38 Inch chest but they only do a M, L, XL And so forth.
How warm is it? Is cool enough to wear during the summer, But also warm enough to wear during the winter?

Any other suggestions on similar Bib&Braces are appreciated. Would like something Branded though. Maver, Preston, Drennan ect. Would like something similar price-range wise though.

Cheers

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got the Preston DR8 (?) and it's served me well for must be five years if not more.
Their sizes are generous, I'm a 2XL and a XL fits over my clothing.
However check the leg length on the BB's as they tend to be on the short side - and before anyone says owt, no I didn't need turn-ups :p

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have the original B&B and jacket, must be 15+ years old.Jacket is no longer waterproof(ok in a shower) B&B are still ok. Wear the jacket in late summer/autumn and also winter if not too wet. If it's just a B&B you want, the ones Aldi knock out occasionally get good reviews.

richox12

Problem with suggesting what would be suitable is that we all have our own thermostats. I never wear anything in winter, no matter what, under my waterproofs other than a sweatshirt when others have layers. jumpers, fleeces, waterproofs, a radiator, and a bonfire on the go !!!

£50 seems cheap (for Dri-Fish). The Drennan are excellent but over £100. What about Imax (?) ? Or is that not the right brand ?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I've got the Preston DR8 (?) and it's served me well for must be five years if not more.
Their sizes are generous, I'm a 2XL and a XL fits over my clothing.
However check the leg length on the BB's as they tend to be on the short side - and before anyone says owt, no I didn't need turn-ups :p

If it's still going after 5 years I think thats a good statement on quality! I'm usually wearing a small in just about everything though, And they only do a Medium in the B&B. I'm wondering if it'll swamp me...... Leg shouldn't be much of an issue though as I'm on the smaller scale measuring only 5'8 lol!

I have the original B&B and jacket, must be 15+ years old.Jacket is no longer waterproof(ok in a shower) B&B are still ok. Wear the jacket in late summer/autumn and also winter if not too wet. If it's just a B&B you want, the ones Aldi knock out occasionally get good reviews.

Blimey, 15 years! I'm not much into the Jackets as I have a decent stock of pretty decent quality Activity jackets I use.. So just a B&B should do me. I have seen the Aldi ones but I missed out last they were in stock. A friend has one, he paid £22.00.. a steal! I would like a nice branded recognisable one so I can look the biz on the bank though, As I catch nothing :ROFLMAO:

Problem with suggesting what would be suitable is that we all have our own thermostats. I never wear anything in winter, no matter what, under my waterproofs other than a sweatshirt when others have layers. jumpers, fleeces, waterproofs, a radiator, and a bonfire on the go !!!

£50 seems cheap (for Dri-Fish). The Drennan are excellent but over £100. What about Imax (?) ? Or is that not the right brand ?

Oh no, I need 2 Shirts, 2 jumpers and a jacket during the winter months. I really don't do well in the cold haha. £50 is cheap, I have seen the Drennan ones but I can't afford that. The iMax ones seem nice but I'd rather an easily recognisable brand :)

adriang

Site Supporter
I've got them. I'm 38 inch waist, 44 chest, and the XL is borderline tight, I've got a bit porky in recent months due to lockdown, but still wearing them and can move all I need.

I've had the for a few years, and they have lasted well. I fish probably 2 out of 3 weekends. I've never washed them, but do hose them off if they have got muddy.

I don't really feel the cold, so winter for me would be tracksuit bottoms, and a tshirt and windproof fleece on top.

Total

Site Supporter
Haven't tried the new style/version of this particular B&B but the older style leaked like a sieve.... :(....Size wise, off the peg fitted me fine in XL..(y)

Last edited:

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I‘ve had a Drifish B&B for a number of months. It will repel rain but I find that if I balance a landing net on my knees while unhooking it will soak through. Probably an additional coat of proofing spray will address that.

It is very warm though. I initially bought some German Army Gore-tex B&Bs to have breathable and waterproof overtrousers but their sizing was comical and so returned them and bought the Drifish instead. On warm days I wish I’d peservered with the Goretex.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
The Preston suit I have does not say Dri fish on it, whether they called it that, I don't know, but I just checked it, it is a medium, I have a 46" chest and a 36" waist and both fit, though I don't wear much under the jacket, just a T shirt, and maybe a fleece/hoodie. I bought a Helikon tek jacket, Polish I think, that is a XXL, not too big except the arms, makes me look like Batman, though it is water and wind proof.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I keep wondering whether to go down the BnB route & the Preston has caught my eye price wise. Although someone I see whilst on Orchill swears by IMAX....so many to choose from. I’m vertically challenged so most of the mediums fit OK in the chest & shoulders but I‘ve a foot of spare material round my ankles.......I’ll probably stick to military surplus gore tex trousers as I know my sizes. For those interested the new issue gore tex strides for the US Airforce are the best I’ve seen in a long time - apart from the outer cargo pocket which isn’t waterproof???

stephenk

Site Supporter
I've got the drifish trousers- waterproof but definitely not breathable- get wet from the inside.

Ankles are very narrow too - dont go over boots.

There are better out there....

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Thanks fellas. Think I'm sold on the DriFish B&B. Gonna go for it and take a medium if it doesn't fit I can always take it back! Maybe I'll do an update / review of it sometime if I keep it.

Cheers all!

Smurfitt

Aldi B&B you cant pick up on ebay. Brand is Crane. Got mine for £18. Padded, earm water repellent and good fit. I got medium and Im 32 waist.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
no sure which version of the suit i have (i will look when i can get time) but i use it for sea fishing, stood in rain for hours, sea spray for hours and never had any leaks or moisture so 100% waterproof for me

Smurfitt

None of them are waterproof unless you buy goretex. I've never got wet in mine even in the pouring rain. You can always spray them with a waterproofing aerosol. A lot better than Preston and cheaper but same quality as Drennan.

richox12

Of course there are other genuinely waterproof garments out there. Gore-tex (WLGore) aren't the only company in the world making waterproof fabrics.

Just looked at Aldi. Product removed. But is advertised as waterproof not water repellent which is a different thing altogether.

Smurfitt

Aldi advertise it as waterproof but thats not what is on the label. Aldi release their fishing gear every year in January and sold out soon after so product is no longer available. Once its gone its gone. Thats why I told you to look on ebay as there is usually some for sale on there.

Smurfitt

Of course there are other genuinely waterproof garments out there. Gore-tex (WLGore) aren't the only company in the world making waterproof fabrics.

Just looked at Aldi. Product removed. But is advertised as waterproof not water repellent which is a different thing altogether.
I'm know there are if you want to pay through the nose and the poster said he has a budget thats why I used gore tex as an example. Dri fish are not waterproof. Many of us have purchased and returned them after getting soaked.