Preston Commercial Punch Kit

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Inspired by a report in the Severn thread in Where You Fished Today and a good catch fishing punch and bread mash, I've thought it time I get a new Bread Punch set and this caught my eye as it comes with a nice box. I want to use it for Punch fishing on the weir near me. Has anyone used it and recommends? Are the punches a metal head? Or are there others I should be looking at? Cheers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve got the smaller drennan one, think it’s the 2 to 7 mm. Haven’t used it much yet but from the little use it has had it does seem to work well. I find the middle sizes on that range the most effective.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The Preston one is good, I also got the guru, but found it takes too much space up on the side tray, plus too much faffing around open and closing it..where as the Preston,you just lift up the lid, and the punches are metal ....probably you’ll get a few answers saying they’re a waste of money, but that’s normal for the forum

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Preston comes with a 6mm punch which I think would be fine for a size 16 hook? 8mm 14 and so on? The bigger sizes in it was part of the appeal as can't see me using 2mm punches much on the weir unless I start fishing the canal again! Think I'm going to order, wanted to make sure they're decent first though. Nice one!

I've got a set of Maver Brass Head ones from about 20 years ago but these look like they will be better for the job.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Preston comes with a 6mm punch which I think would be fine for a size 16 hook? 8mm 14 and so on? The bigger sizes in it was part of the appeal as can't see me using 2mm punches much on the weir unless I start fishing the canal again! Think I'm going to order, wanted to make sure they're decent first though. Nice one!

I've got a set of Maver Brass Head ones from about 20 years ago but these look like they will be better for the job.
The thing with the Preston punches, is they’re good for meat as well 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Preston comes with a 6mm punch which I think would be fine for a size 16 hook? 8mm 14 and so on? The bigger sizes in it was part of the appeal as can't see me using 2mm punches much on the weir unless I start fishing the canal again!

Sounds about right for me it’s 4mm or 5mm on an 18 or 6mm on a 16. I frankly don’t want to be fishing if it’s hard enough to need 2mm 😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Looking forward to using them on the weir but it also means no chance of Perch!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Google urban field sportsman fishing blog. The guy pretty much exclusively fishes punch and crumb on the stick on small rivers.

And yeah no perch is one of the downsides of bread and hemp fishing as well but it’s worth it to get the better stamp of silvers anyway.

carphauler

Roachhauler
I varied between 6mm and 8mm yesterday, biggest fish took a 6mm,using a Guru box, it's good but the lid is very breakable, don't drop it on anything hard. I chipped mine but it's still useable and seals, to be fair I took the lid off as I was baiting every cast nearly so the bread is virtually used before it goes hard.
I didn't buy the preston one as it has spring loaded punches and it's just something else that may break and it wasn't released when I bought the Guru.
If you already have a set of punches I would just use them first, the main reason I bought the box was for popped up bread fishing in the winter on commies.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Too late as already ordered! Thanks for the detail on yesterday though as it was your post that inspired me to try it myself.

Think it should be good for the Chublets and Roach and can always maybe pick up a bonus Chub or two like you diid.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You’ll have to commandeer the liquidiser from the kitchen now. Part of the reason I don’t fish it much is that I can never find the flipping thing 😂

carphauler

Roachhauler
You’ll have to commandeer the liquidiser from the kitchen now. Part of the reason I don’t fish it much is that I can never find the flipping thing 😂
I didn't make the mash properly, I know you should use stale or dried bread, then liquidise it, I just soaked it in a bucket for a couple of hours then drained in a net for another few hours to get it as dry as I could then mashed it up, was a bit sloppy but worked, I was told by a friend from tunnel how to do it properly years ago but I've forgot 🤔😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Last time I tried to make bread mash I had slices of bread spread out all over the kitchen for a few days trying to make them go stale quicker. :LOL::unsure:

carphauler

Roachhauler
Last time I tried to make bread mash I had slices of bread spread out all over the kitchen for a few days trying to make them go stale quicker. :LOL::unsure:
I was going to oven dry them but 3 loaves takes a while, I ran out after about 5 hours and packed up just as it peed down again, will take 4 next time and try and prep them better.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I just go with slicing then liquidising stale bread more often than not. I’ve tried bought crumb which just ends up sticking to me like poo to a blanket and with mash I can never get the quantity right. Something to work on though as I would like to have it as a reliable alternative to my useful maggot, hemp or caster approaches. Still got a load of crumb in the garage so should try it again at some point.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Just be careful of the clip on the Preston Box, as I broke mine and with nothing to keep it shut it stays open - thank heavens for electricians tape. :D:D