Preston Centris NT 520

Maverick

Looking for some feedback and a bit of info on these reels if any of you have one.

Obviously are they any good, what diameter is the spool and do they come with a spare spool and are they any good for distance feeder fishing?

I'm looking for a new reel to put on a 12ft distance feeder rod. I have a couple of Okuma Inc 6000, got one on my 13ft Preston Distance master but its a big heavy lump.weighing 529g when full of line.

Also got a Shimano X Aero 4000FA on my 11ft feeder rod which is just a nice balance. It has an enlarged spool for a 4000 size reel but not big enough for a 12ft distance feeder rod.

Thought a 5000 size reel would be just perfect for the 12ft feeder rod. So any useful info on the Centris 520 from any one who has used one would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Mike atkinson might be able to help, as I've only got 320's on my float rods, I think it depends on how far you class distance, I use the intensity 620 on my 13ft freesprit ctx distance special for chucks that are 60m +

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Looking for some feedback and a bit of info on these reels if any of you have one.

Obviously are they any good, what diameter is the spool and do they come with a spare spool and are they any good for distance feeder fishing?

I'm looking for a new reel to put on a 12ft distance feeder rod. I have a couple of Okuma Inc 6000, got one on my 13ft Preston Distance master but its a big heavy lump.weighing 529g when full of line.

Also got a Shimano X Aero 4000FA on my 11ft feeder rod which is just a nice balance. It has an enlarged spool for a 4000 size reel but not big enough for a 12ft distance feeder rod.

Thought a 5000 size reel would be just perfect for the 12ft feeder rod. So any useful info on the Centris 520 from any one who has used one would be much appreciated.

Thanks
The centris 520 is a loverly reel, but mine are all on my waggler rods now, there’s better reels out there, for feeder fishing.
As ff says, the intensity is a fantastic reel, I use the 620’s, I used them side by side against a daiwa tdr distance reel last Wednesday in a feederking qualifier, and I think the intensity is smoother, and has more power, but, the tdr distance, does look the dog’s danglies 😂😂😂
The 620 extremity is a nice reel, made far better, by putting the intensity handle on it. 👍
I use a lot of 520 extremity’s on all my rods under 11ft, with the handle conversion
Browning compact 845 is another cracking reel, it must be made in the same factory as the extremity, as the handles swap over, and the 520 spools, all interchange
Browning compact 855, is the same as the 620 extremity, handles swap, and spools are interchangeable also.
If it’s out n out distance work, get the 620 intensity
If it’s for distance/ river and medium range work also, get the 855 compact, it’s got a better handle as standard, than the 620 extremity, and spare handles aren’t available at the moment, I’ve got a couple on order👍
Oh, best bit is, the browning’s are only £76, I’ve just ordered another this morning 👍👍👍👍👍

alsur

Site Supporter
I've got a magnitude that I believe is very similar I've got a 320 which I use on my 11ft method rod, its pretty much the same size as Daiwa 3000 size reels, its a nice reel I prefer it to my TDM . I've also got an extremity 520 to use on my on my 12ft 6 rod it's is very smooth and works well but it hasn't had much use yet.

Maverick

The centris 520 is a loverly reel, but mine are all on my waggler rods now, there’s better reels out there, for feeder fishing.
As ff says, the intensity is a fantastic reel, I use the 620’s, I used them side by side against a daiwa tdr distance reel last Wednesday in a feederking qualifier, and I think the intensity is smoother, and has more power, but, the tdr distance, does look the dog’s danglies 😂😂😂
The 620 extremity is a nice reel, made far better, by putting the intensity handle on it. 👍
I use a lot of 520 extremity’s on all my rods under 11ft, with the handle conversion
Browning compact 845 is another cracking reel, it must be made in the same factory as the extremity, as the handles swap over, and the 520 spools, all interchange
Browning compact 855, is the same as the 620 extremity, handles swap, and spools are interchangeable also.
If it’s out n out distance work, get the 620 intensity
If it’s for distance/ river and medium range work also, get the 855 compact, it’s got a better handle as standard, than the 620 extremity, and spare handles aren’t available at the moment, I’ve got a couple on order👍
Oh, best bit is, the browning’s are only £76, I’ve just ordered another this morning 👍👍👍👍👍
Thanks for taking the time to reply in so much detail Mike, its much appreciated. I was looking at the Preston Extremity but they now seem in short supply amd the few that I found had a £95 price tag. I have owned one in the past and sold it.

Just ordered a Browning Compact 855. Thanks for the heads up Mike (y)

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks for taking the time to reply in so much detail Mike, its much appreciated. I was looking at the Preston Extremity but they now seem in short supply amd the few that I found had a £95 price tag. I have owned one in the past and sold it.

Just ordered a Browning Compact 855. Thanks for the heads up Mike (y)
Pleased with the 12 foot Distance Master John?......Beautiful rods....:love:

Maverick

Pleased with the 12 foot Distance Master John?......Beautiful rods....:love:
Hi mate how's life treating you these days hope your well. Still got the 13ft Distance Master but just bought a cheap Shimano 12 footer. One day I hope to aspire to the 12ft Free Spirit HiS Power Feeder Special. I can dream can't I :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The 13 Distance master is a great rod If your a lanky git with long arms and no belly. I keep having this urge to saw 6" off the butt of mine :eek:

Total

Site Supporter
Hi mate how's life treating you these days hope your well. Still got the 13ft Distance Master but just bought a cheap Shimano 12 footer. One day I hope to aspire to the 12ft Free Spirit HiS Power Feeder Special. I can dream can't I :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The 13 Distance master is a great rod If your a lanky git with long arms and no belly. I keep having this urge to saw 6" off the butt of mine :eek:
All good here mate thank you.....Sorry I meant 13 foot Distance Master above....:oops:.....Enjoy the new gear.....Regards to you all please....(y)

Maverick

Just a quick mention if anyone is considering buying a Browning compact 855 over the Extremity 620.

It's £19 cheaper (£76) but there is no mention of a spare spool, which you do get with the Extremity. The weight is slightly heavier and it takes a bit more line to fill the spool. Also pretty sure it would be harder to sell than a Preston if you needed to in the future.

All valid points to look for if your considering buying one. The Extremity is discontinued now but there are still a few new ones about for around £95.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Just a quick mention if anyone is considering buying a Browning compact 855 over the Extremity 620.

It's £19 cheaper (£76) but there is no mention of a spare spool, which you do get with the Extremity. The weight is slightly heavier and it takes a bit more line to fill the spool. Also pretty sure it would be harder to sell than a Preston if you needed to in the future.

All valid points to look for if your considering buying one. The Extremity is discontinued now but there are still a few new ones about for around £95.
The 855 does come with a spare spool, I didn’t know the extremity was discontinued 😢

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter

I know what you mean about long handles, they are a pita, I’ve chopped soo many rods down, cause of this, even the brand new 11ft SLR, got the chop🤬, i understand 13/14 distance feeder rods, should have long handles for leverage, but not 9/10/11 and 12fters 🤬🤬🤬

Maverick

The 855 does come with a spare spool, I didn’t know the extremity was discontinued 😢
Great news about the spare spool Mike. Makes the world of difference. Wonder why none of the adverts mention it. I could be wrong about the Extremity being discontinued but Lee Kerry has had a big hand in developing the Preston Intensity reel which him and Buchwalder have been showing in recent videos.

Knowing how Preston are constantly developing new products to rob us of our hard earned cash. I assumed it had been discontinued. No one seems to have them in stock and just a few on fleabay.

Maverick

I know what you mean about long handles, they are a pita, I’ve chopped soo many rods down, cause of this, even the brand new 11ft SLR, got the chop🤬, i understand 13/14 distance feeder rods, should have long handles for leverage, but not 9/10/11 and 12fters 🤬🤬🤬
Right wher's my saw :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: