Preston 4 wheel trolley?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I bought mine about 4 weeks ago, having resisted for ages, but finally fed up of making two journeys to my peg.

In terms of design and functionality, it is superb.
I cannot say the same of the materials and construction - where is it made?
After just three outings in the rain, the joints where the two end sections slot in, are losing their paint and rusting, and some of the welds are starting to rust where they have not been fully painted over.
OK, it's only surface rust, it wiped off, and I have since used WD40 on it and covered the affected areas in oil, but really, after two outings?
I wish that I had taken photos before I treated it.

I would rather have paid a few quid more to get a corrosion-proof , water resistant finish.
As for the durability of the axles and wheels, time will tell.

I know I am not the only one to have had this issue, another member of my club has found the same.
But is this a common experience?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Its not rust its ' patina '. ?. Ive just bought the exact same one myself banksy. Mine hasnt seen the bank yet though. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it but, I know where you are coming from. It shouldnt rust after only a couple of outings should it. Ill blather mine in WD40 just in case. Tight lines pal. ?

Total

Site Supporter
One of the reasons why I personally resisted buying this trolley and got a Penrose SXL 4 wheel Barrow.....Have seen and heard too many stories of rusted parts and wheels collapsing on a Preston trolleys.:(

PAB

Site Supporter
Get it grit blasted and then Galvanised it would only cost a few quid about £200 -£300 or just leave it to age. I have had mine for years no maintenance just a bit of WD40 now and again it still works fine never let me down it is built to use on the bank not a cat walk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Banded_Nipple

I've had mine since they came out and yes it's rusted in some areas but it's still perfectly fine.

dubdog

Preston always use the cheapest parts they can get away with. They never use stainless steel nuts and bolts on side trays or other Products they do. They just rust away, steer clear of Preston products if I can help it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I bought mine about 4 weeks ago, having resisted for ages, but finally fed up of making two journeys to my peg.

In terms of design and functionality, it is superb.
I cannot say the same of the materials and construction - where is it made?
After just three outings in the rain, the joints where the two end sections slot in, are losing their paint and rusting, and some of the welds are starting to rust where they have not been fully painted over.
OK, it's only surface rust, it wiped off, and I have since used WD40 on it and covered the affected areas in oil, but really, after two outings?
I wish that I had taken photos before I treated it.

I would rather have paid a few quid more to get a corrosion-proof , water resistant finish.
As for the durability of the axles and wheels, time will tell.

I know I am not the only one to have had this issue, another member of my club has found the same.
But is this a common experience?
It is very common ..I would rub a candle on and around joints and nuts ..or smear a little vaseline

Minno

Had mine since they first came out. When I don’t need it, it just sits out the back garden in all weathers and I’ve done zero maintenance on it.

has a few rust marks but has never let me down regardless of how much I load on it.

i wouldn’t let those marks worry you.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Your not bumming your mate. Should not have to do this to a properly made product.
No we shouldn't have to do it but it is common on most trolleys I've seen .my octbox trolley frame rusts my frenzee trolley rusts my former preston rusted ..the only way around it is if they were made of non rusting materials which would be more expensive or do a bit of maintenance and preventative measures

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
At the moment my Preston 4 looks brand new. But, I bought it to do a job and lugging my gear in all weather's is what its going to do. I personally don't give a jot what it looks like. Never once in 45 years of angling have I ever had a fish or even a fellow angler criticise my gear. Life is far too short to worry about these sorts of things. Get it used. It's what it was made for.