Preparing tares - looking for some pointers..

adriang

Site Supporter
I've never fished with, let alone caught a fish on hemp and tares, something I'm determined to try this year based on some of the comments from @Silverfisher on the Thames and I've had a couple of reasonable nets of roach from the Oxford canal in recent weeks.

I've read this thread. cooking tares in a slow cooker so a few Q's, and I've a few questions to join it all together..

Soaking seems to vary from 12, 24 or 48 hours. Is the purpose to get them to soften, expand? something else?

There is a mention of using iron tablets to make them blacker.. are these just regular vitamin supplement tablets?

Anything else to add? bicarb? salt, sugar?

Is it worth cooking them with some hemp so they get some of the flavoring/oil?

I don't have a spare flask, might be able to track one down, but when using this method, is this overnight?

When not using a flask, so simmering, I've read 'simmer until they are just possible to put a hook through and then leave to cool in the water'.. how long does this roughly take? (mins, hours, days, I've no idea).

I've just bought a kilo of uncooked tares, when soaked/cooked, do they get bigger, if so, by much? Trying to think through how many to cook up first time.

MarkW

Take half a teacup of tares, one iron tablet (the cheap ones will do) and put in a flask 3/4 full of boiling water for 24 hours. The easiest way to do it by far. Simmering is a case of perfect judgement and so easy to end up with tare soup.

I just feed hemp and fish a tare on the hook. Hemp and tares work later in the summer, rarely before July and usually good through August (look for elderberries later in the month), September and even into October.

adriang

Site Supporter
Take half a teacup of tares, one iron tablet (the cheap ones will do) and put in a flask 3/4 full of boiling water for 24 hours. The easiest way to do it by far. Simmering is a case of perfect judgement and so easy to end up with tare soup.
thanks, do you soak them before hand?

MarkW

thanks, do you soak them before hand?
No. I do a batch like this and freeze them which softens them further. I take about an eggcup's worth for a session with 1.5 pints of hemp though rarely use a pint.

For hooks I've started using Drennan Silverfish Match barbless in 16 or 14 tied to something fine eg 0.09 or 0.10.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d echo mark on most of that.

I use the 24 hour flask method, some need darkening others don’t in my experience.

I use hemp as part of the feed from opening day (always have a pint with me) and will have the odd go with it on the hook but don’t really start catching on it until July and it’s august before I’ll go all out hemp and tare approach and personally I do mix a few tares in with the hemp loose feed. I generally use a drennan silverfish 16 if I know I’ll be using just tares but if I might be alternating between them, hemp and caster I generally use an 18. Always worth getting some elderberries when they are in season as well.