Preparation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hey,
Here's something again to show how different we are, but perhaps without so much heat!
How do you enjoy preparing?
Now MALC has just asked about special float material, so he's a real preparer, apart from all his bait concoctions!

John ESOX i know, makes floats, traces, Bivvys, he's a true do it Yourself Angler!

I used to stand amazed behind one of the greatest Anglers I'd ever seen fish, Ivan Marks!
Now old Ivan will tell you himself. At the end of every match, ALL the tackle would be thrown in his box and not opened til the next match!!
Maggots would crawl out of his(rusty) reels and bits of loose line would be pressed into service for hook lengths as he started to catch fish out of a patch of damp grass! No preparation, but he didn't need it!

Martin is another preparer and maker and his car is always full of bait for 1'2 the club!

Me!, I'm not practical enough to MAKE things, but I clean, oil and Polish! Make up Pole Rigs, Tie hook lengths and set up traces.
Boil hemp, colour sweetcorn, flavour meat, make buy lists and enjoy every minute of the anticipation of a good day!

Where do you fit in and like me? Is half the fun in the anticipation?

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev ape_e0.gif I do NOT BELIEVE it

martin.

Account Locked
hi trev
thiere should be some interesting replys for this one i may as well start
My preperation starts the moment i get home from previos session
by making sure all my remaining bait is riddled off &put in correct
places squatts are fed ,maggots & pinkies for turning go into damp
sawdust, fresher ones go into fridge, worms checked, hemp, casters, corn &meat frozen.
all rigs out of box & into app shelf ,any damaged or tangled put to one side for replacing (i normally have 100 + rigs made up )
poles ect out for cleaning.
maggots ect are checked daily .
then every thing is checked & doubled checked the next time i get ready to go .
i could make this a whole page long as her in doors says im obssesed i just say i enjoy it & keeps me out of earshot
so im keeping it short

tight lines.
martin.

G

Yes Trev i love to prepare, the build up to the day is all part of the enjoyment.
I usually start to prepare the day before, checking reels, making sure the line is ok cleaning my reels just making sure everything is ok.
Then i start to think about the day ahead,how shall i fish? pole,float or feeder,thats if i know the venue, if i don"t i usually make a few phone calls to some chums who have fished the venue.
Then the day come"s up at the crack of dawn then i start to check my tackle again{it do"es my mrs head in}tackle ok everything in order then i start to think what am i tacking to eat, usually ham sarnies biscuits and not forgetting the crisps, but most important of all MY FLASK for tea.
I"m going fishing this morning,up at 6am to make sure everything is in order,double checked yes happy enough.
beer-toast1.gif
Toma

ray

wave.gif
agree with you trev, preperation is part of the fun, for me personally a big part, as i am unable to get on the bank on a regular basis at the moment due to other commitments i need the "preparation" part like a drug to keep me going, i am forever making bits and bobs, writing things down, reading mags/books, tweaking up tackle, looking at supermarket shelves etc.

i luv to plan my fishing, take the 30th for example, i have never been to waltons so i have searched web sites, read mag articles tried to get as much info as i could resulting in bits of paper allover the place, i have got lists for tackle i am taking, bait, accesories, plans of attack, i have been making up rigs "just incase" but for me this is a big part of it. if i go and get a couple of bites then i go away a happy chappie and start allover again for my session.

i dont spoil your fishing, so dont you spoil mine......take your rubbish home.

original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Sleep _n_Fish

Yep I agree, preparation is all part of the fun.

The preparation for my next session starts as I'm packing away from a completed session.
I put a little of my leftover bait onto showing fish (carp) and I also complete my notes on when and where fish were caught/seen.

As soon as I arrive home my bivvy and tackle are washed and cleaned and any hooks/hooklinks that have been used and 'fail' inspection are disposed of.
Throughout the week replacement (and spare) hooklinks are tied and bait is prepared for the next session. A trip to my local tackle shop my be in order for any bit's and peices.
I may walk around the lake in my lunch break and/or evening each day making observations and early season 'trickling' in a little bait, again, to showing fish.

Thursday night is the ritual phone around to see who is and isn't fishing and meeting times are arranged.
Friday see's me rushing home from work for a bite to eat before the car is packed and I'm off.

10hrs preparation for a 16hr overnighter.

SnF.

paul mc

Hi all
Looks like i'm the odd one out here i normally sort all my stuff out at the last minute unless im going to a new venue or travelling a bit of a distance.most of my preperation is done at the end of a session when packing up then its all thrown into the back of my works van and left there until the next outing.

Regards Paul Mc

AlexR

i think about what i am going to be doing all week, then, when i get there i forget it all and do something different,hehe.
i never used to prepare, but i used to forget everything, im getting better now and check my stuff every time and make enough rigs etc.

;)

MALC

Like Martin my preperation starts when i get back from a session with all fridgeable baits being fridged after cleaning and any baits for the freezer going into the freezer.
I've always got Maggots and Pinkies in the fridge which get riddled and cleaned every day.

Then it's normally off to work (night shift).

Then the following day it's clean down all the gear and start getting ready for the next trip.

Summer and winter differ with me as i tend to only go twice a week in winter but upto 7 times a week in the summer.

Summer preperation starts in the winter when i restock all my bulk feeds in 25kg sack such as-: Hemp, Tares, Wheat, Trout Pellets, Vitalin, Crumb, Fishmeal & Molasses & all the crusts from my Liqy Bread feed in the winter go in the freezer for latter use.
Also every week i buy a couple of bags of continental groundbaits to keep up my stock (and the odd box full in 1 go as it's cheeper).
Every time we go shopping i buy a couple of tins of Corn, Meat, Catmeat & Tuna so i've always got plenty in stock, at the moment it's 36 tins Meat,20 tins Catmeat,24 tins Corn plus 25 mixed tins of Tuna and various Beans, (my mate reconds it's more like a corner shop).

Also during the winter i strip down and start remaking all my pole rigs for the summer.
I change all reel lines about every 2 months if it's been used or not.
Also change all pole elastics every month in the winter and every couple of weeks in the summer.

Before every match i go to the venue to either have a practise fish or if i can't fish just to have a walk around and get a feel for the venue and then make up any special rigs that i may need.

On any day that i'm at home you'll normaly find me making up paste mixes or doing something with the gear.

I also like to make up my own Bagging Waggs and the odd normal float, along with making meat punches out of old bits of pole tips.

I also keep records of every trip which get filled out every day.

So realy i suppose that my preperation is an ongoing thing every day.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

MalcB

I think preparation is extremely important and this makes for a very good thread!

As i more often than not fish over night (or longer sessions) I have to prepare - from sorting out some grub to cook on the bank, and making sure I have'nt forgot the tea bags (like i did this week Doh!) and the milk which I ended up having this sat instead of a cupper! To, making/rolling my own boilies (sounds painful eh?) which is something I have only recently started doing. But it has already given me great satisfaction as i caught a week ago on my own - what a thrill!

Anyway i digress. I now tie/make up my own rigs and so on, so each week (during the week) I have to ensure I have the set up that is most suited to the conditions etc at where i am to fish. All this takes time and can occasionally become laborious, but worth it in the end.

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet
Daves preperation is before the paint goes on because he is Decorating more now not fishing

Stu

norm

i usually rush about like an idiot the night before i go
bash.gif

it isint the size of the tiddle that counts

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Norm and welcome to the forum.

My preparation is similar, leaving it all to the last minute, rush around trying to get my gear together, remembering when the shops are shut that I needed that and generally getting to the venue the following day without something mainly my towel.

That's why I take Stu with me
, someone to borrow off, lol

And as for the decorating, next time I move remind me to buy a new house

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Preparation.
This starts for me at the end of the previous session/match.If the kit isn't put away just so i can't close my box.(bit of a kitchen sink merchant)

As soon as i get home i log everything about that days fishing in my diary for future reference.Any rubbish is binned and baitboxes etc rinsed out.
Nets get taken to work and washed with a steamcleaner.
Living in a flat prevents me from having my own bait fridge,but i do have one drawer in the freezer for bait.
Next day any rigs that have been used are stripped and remade,rods,poles and reels are cleaned and polished.Top sets are checked and any elastics that need it are replaced.
Anything that needs replacing or i have run out of gets listed for when i visit the tackleshop.
One little tip,I got fed up with bags of groundbait & pellets splitting and ending up all over the bottom of my holdall,so now i save the 4pt plastic milk containers and transfer all groundbait/pellets into them,much easier to store and no more ripped bags.
For me the preparation is half the fun,tinkering and modifying bits and bobs trying to find an edge,all part of my match fishing background i suppose.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

waxlion1

Preparation? whats that?

I get my stuff ready about two days before I go and still forget something..

Waxlion1
hello.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Don'try and Con us you fibbing little Taff!
You been E-mailing me about methods for Izaaks!
Now I see MALC is bringing you som Gluton!!!
You are well prepared my son!

Just hope it works for you!!

Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Status
Not open for further replies.