Preparation Zero

Line Clip

I am not knocking this angler,he is a top bloke, I am just amazed at the lack of preparation, if any he will go to, at any of our club matches
He always fishes with a pole, does not use pole rollers at all, ( always bouncing fish off ) breaks down each section.
Only uses one pole rig with four feet of line from pole tip to float, uses same rig for margin, so then moves float down the line
hence now has six feet plus from float to pole tip, always fishes straight through to hook. (does have one spare identical rig made up Iv seen it
Sits on a home made wooden box with octplus legs, with two bank sticks in front of him, one for net the other has a big feeder
type rest that he rests the butt of the pole on.
His bait is either worms, bread, sometimes meat or sweetcorn. If your offer him maggots or pellets he will say " no thanks."
He does not have a side tray, because there's nothing to put on it, his bait is in a tub on the ground
There is a old smelly towel that he hangs from his jacket pocket, for his hands and a discorger behind his ear, telescopic
landing net and that's it.
So once he has found his peg he is ready in minuets, the next hour is spent walking round the pool talking banter to each angler
before the all in.
This angler turns up most matches, enjoys himself to the full never complains, loves his fishing .
Its at this point I would like to say that he wins the odd match, but he doesn't as far as I am aware he never frames ,but you can bet
your life when Lock-down is over he will be there at the draw and it will be great to see him again.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I am not knocking this angler,he is a top bloke, I am just amazed at the lack of preparation, if any he will go to, at any of our club matches
He always fishes with a pole, does not use pole rollers at all, ( always bouncing fish off ) breaks down each section.
Only uses one pole rig with four feet of line from pole tip to float, uses same rig for margin, so then moves float down the line
hence now has six feet plus from float to pole tip, always fishes straight through to hook. (does have one spare identical rig made up Iv seen it
Sits on a home made wooden box with octplus legs, with two bank sticks in front of him, one for net the other has a big feeder
His bait is either worms, bread, sometimes meat or sweetcorn. If your offer him maggots or pellets he will say " no thanks."
He does not have a side tray, because there's nothing to put on it, his bait is in a tub on the ground
There is a old smelly towel that he hangs from his jacket pocket, for his hands and a discorger behind his ear, telescopic
So once he has found his peg he is ready in minuets, the next hour is spent walking round the pool talking banter to each angler
before the all in.
This angler turns up most matches, enjoys himself to the full never complains, loves his fishing .
Its at this point I would like to say that he wins the odd match, but he doesn't as far as I am aware he never frames ,but you can bet
your life when Lock-down is over he will be there at the draw and it will be great to see him again.
You must be in Neil of the nenes club 😂😂😂😂

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
before the all in.

Never knew my dad had taken up match fishing 😆😆😆

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Clear it does take all sorts and different mindsets to keep a club going. Sometimes un-discussed in the frames at the end, but turn up when they say they will and pay their way.
Nail on the head Chris, they are the lifeblood of many a club. :upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
A friend of mine (Nick Bryan) fishes The Veterans Matches at Tunnel and reckons it's a scary standard, super competative. :eek:

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
A friend of mine (Nick Bryan) fishes The Veterans Matches at Tunnel and reckons it's a scary standard, super competative. :eek:
Yeah I know Nick , he makes floats , he regularly frames with the vets 👍👍I’ve fished with the vets a few times, not allowed to fish for pools, but good match practice....👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m not ashamed to admit I’m closer to that than I am some of the fancy matchmen set up!

Got a chair instead of a box so no side tray therefore bait boxes, catapult and disgorger on the floor on my right hand side (fine when sat but a pain when stood so should really replace the bait waiter I broke a couple years ago 😅) along with my landing net then a old tea towel on the floor on my left as a slime towel. Then ruckbag and it’s tackle contents (sometimes quiver as well) is then either behind me or off to one side or the other depending on the peg layout. Then one rod rest in front of me to the left for the rod I’m using and one or two more rod rests on my left hand side for the other rods I’ve got set up in reserve.

Sounds messier than it is tbf it is actually all quite reachable.