Premiership clubs using government 80% scheme

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Not disagreeing with you Arry just merely pointing out that it's not just football that is taking advantage of furloughing - yet people aren't interested or aware of who else.
I will be furloughed next week but my employers at the top level won't be as they are seen from a personnel perspective as the companies main assets.
In sports/entertainment the players/celebrities are the main assets.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I think a lot of players will be waiting for guidance from the PFA on this matter before doing anything publicly.
The actions of some clubs haven’t been great but it’s important to remember there are many clubs who are still paying their full back room staff.
Not to mention the amount of work/donations players do anonymously out of the public eye.
It is likely that the clubs, PFA and other agencies will be working together to try and construct some sort of arrangement which doesn’t happen overnight I’m sure.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If Levi was to give up this years wages it would hardly make a difference to Spurs,according to the press today their weekly wage bill is in the region of £12.3 million pounds plus a 'hefty mortgage on the new ground,whoever sanctioned that sort of spending needs sacking,not given a bonus,players should give up part of their wages voluntarily but while ever Gordon Taylor is in charge of the players union it won't be mandatory.

Pikerwoods

People who run the country like PM get in a year what a lot of players get in a week. Note: said politicians/civil servants have been working while players haven't.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I don't like Graham Taylor but he does what they employ him to do and that's look after the interests of the players.
If we had a few in politics that had the same tenacity and focus that he had then British politics would benefit from it

H T B

Site Supporter
I don't like Graham Taylor but he does what they employ him to do and that's look after the interests of the players.
If we had a few in politics that had the same tenacity and focus that he had then British politics would benefit from it
Do you mean Gordon Taylor?
Graham passed away a few years ago

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Yes I did mate thank you.
Ftr. I liked Graham Taylor,felt he received unfair criticism at times and the media campaign was disgraceful.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Yes I did mate thank you.
Ftr. I liked Graham Taylor,felt he received unfair criticism at times and the media campaign was disgraceful.
Graham and Gordon both nice men or seem to be or seemed to be

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Well heres a thing... the PFA say that cutting wages by 30% would create a 200million pound loss of tax which would have a detrimental effect on the NHS.....
You utter bunch of shartbags... you ought to be frackin' ashamed of yourselves.... If the premiership had any decency they'd have donated the 30% cut directly to the NHS... just another reason to hate football for me

Blanks

Site Supporter
Most of the top flight players pay no tax in this country they set up off shore companies, Rooney has been doing this for years. Personally I would love to see the premier league teams go bust maybe people would start to support their local teams and give us a more level playing field.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I see the disgust of the spurs fans have made the club have a rethink on the decision to furlough the staff......

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Its sickening that the players pay no tax... they should be made to... they earn their money here they should pay their taxes here

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"I hope the lot of them go bust"

Manchester United employ nearly 1000 people full time and others are on their books for match day and event duties such as stewarding,tours etc - all are looking for a job if the club goes bust
Local businesses be it pubs,bars,food establishments,taxis,bus services,Metro all see revenue increases on home match days and events such as music,other sports etc. - a lot of people would lose their income and jobs if the football club went bust.
Manchester United run numerous community schemes for disadvantaged,disabled,etc etc and there are numerous charitable foundations supported and run by the club and players - all that is at risk if the club goes bust.
There are numerous businesses who are dependent on Manchester United for merchandising,media and even trivial things like cleaning the players cars and personal grooming - all lost if Manchester United go bust

Now times that by all the clubs in the football league and consider that the PL especially generates a lot of income for a hell of a lot of people.

It's easy to be flippant but sometimes it's worth taking a step back and trying to see the bigger picture.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Its sickening that the players pay no tax... they should be made to... they earn their money here they should pay their taxes here
They do it because they can,so do Amazon,Google,Starbucks,Virgin etc,etc,you can't have rules for one and not another.