Premiere Inn complaint

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
I need some advice

The wife and I had booked Sunday and Monday night just gone, in a premier plus room at the Manchester Salford Quays premier inn. We had paid the extra premium to allow us to cancel upto 1pm on the day of arrival. Just precautionary due to COVID times.
We booked into our room on the 3rd floor at 3pm, by 5pm there was a terrible drain smell coming from the bathroom. The extractor fan was not working either.
We got the duty manager upto the room. He agreed that the smell was unacceptable and he could not get the fan operational. We requested a room switch but he informed us that was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. He offered us a complementary breakfast to compensate!! Their was no way we could stay in that room with the smell so we told him we were booking out and expected a full refund. He told us he was not authorised to give refunds we would have to take it up with head office the following morning. He also said we probably wouldn’t get a full refund for the Sunday night as we had already booked in and it was not company policy. He said he’d email head office immediately with his findings and gave us a number to call the following morning. He was very apologetic.
The following morning we rang the number several times, but due to high levels of calls you were constantly told to go online and contact them by filling out a feedback form. So after much searching online we finally found away of contacting them. It indicated that reply would take upto 35days! So by then we will have to pay the Visa bill.

My question is should I burst into print on trip advisor straightaway or wait for them to make their offer?

Rob F

Site Supporter
I'd wait before going to trip advisor.
Burst into print to their customer services department, the hotel itself, anyone connected with Premier Inn.
E-mail and phone on a daily basis, don't let them forget your grievances.
Log it all, save replies, and if not satisfied hit the trip advisor button with evidence of all their failings, and the local EHO covering the hotel, basically give them the chance to sort it to your satisfaction, if not happy let rip!
Let visa know too, can you cancel or reclaim the payment?

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Having had some poor customer service In the past, being on hold and pushed from pillar to post by big companies. My advice if you would like to get a quick resolution would be social media. Twitter is a great place to get a companies attention and a fast resolution.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I'd wait before going to trip advisor.
Burst into print to their customer services department, the hotel itself, anyone connected with Premier Inn.
E-mail and phone on a daily basis, don't let them forget your grievances.
Log it all, save replies, and if not satisfied hit the trip advisor button with evidence of all their failings, and the local EHO covering the hotel, basically give them the chance to sort it to your satisfaction, if not happy let rip!
Let visa know too, can you cancel or reclaim the payment?
We tried to cancel the Tesco Visa payment but its not something that they can do. They did say if we get no joy then they can open a dispute with Premiere Inn after 30days. Regarding sending in more complaints they say online that this may slow down the original complaint. Their is no way you stand a chance of actually talking to a human.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Check out section 12 of the following:

They guarantee a good night, if not a refund, especially if you made the local team aware and they could not remedy the problem. I presume the manager never made you aware of this guarantee?

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I need some advice

The wife and I had booked Sunday and Monday night just gone, in a premier plus room at the Manchester Salford Quays premier inn. We had paid the extra premium to allow us to cancel upto 1pm on the day of arrival. Just precautionary due to COVID times.
We booked into our room on the 3rd floor at 3pm, by 5pm there was a terrible drain smell coming from the bathroom. The extractor fan was not working either.
We got the duty manager upto the room. He agreed that the smell was unacceptable and he could not get the fan operational. We requested a room switch but he informed us that was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. He offered us a complementary breakfast to compensate!! Their was no way we could stay in that room with the smell so we told him we were booking out and expected a full refund. He told us he was not authorised to give refunds we would have to take it up with head office the following morning. He also said we probably wouldn’t get a full refund for the Sunday night as we had already booked in and it was not company policy. He said he’d email head office immediately with his findings and gave us a number to call the following morning. He was very apologetic.
The following morning we rang the number several times, but due to high levels of calls you were constantly told to go online and contact them by filling out a feedback form. So after much searching online we finally found away of contacting them. It indicated that reply would take upto 35days! So by then we will have to pay the Visa bill.

My question is should I burst into print on trip advisor straightaway or wait for them to make their offer?
The very reason I always pay for hotels when I go away for any holiday of 2 nights or more by credit card.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Check out section 12 of the following:

They guarantee a good night, if not a refund, especially if you made the local team aware and they could not remedy the problem. I presume the manager never made you aware of this guarantee?
He certainly did not. To be honest he was youngish lad who hadn’t been in the job long

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I had a poor stay at a premier in in Portsmouth a few weeks back, room with a dual carriage way outside and only secondary double glazing and halfway through the night a mechanical rumbling was heard above the bathroom.
The food was not very good and bore no resemblance to the illustration... I mentioned it as I checked out... all I got was "sorreeeee" by a disinterested attendant... Premier Inn's standards have slipped massively recently, noticeable as I have used this one for the last few years

Tristar

Site Supporter
I've stayed at the Premier Inn, Bath Road a few times over the years. Not sure if Premier Inn still have the guarantee a good night policy, a few years ago I said I hardly slept due to the noise from the room next door, I wasn't happy but from what I was hearing the woman was more than happy. The lady on reception refunded the account , I joked I need a coffee to wake me up, the nice lady even brought me a Costa Coffee. Very nice.

John Step

Site Supporter
I got an email from Premier Inn asking for a review on a stay at the Romford Central hotel.
When I got to the any problem bit I put down that the revolving plug didnt work in the basin and I had hurt my thumb trying to operate it and I was met with a laugh when I informed the manager.

My night fee was immediately refunded.

On another occasion at Luton I was stripped and getting into bed when the door opened by key and two giggly delicious young ladies entered the room a bit worse for wear. They had been given the key to the wrong room.
Unfortunately I was with my wife!

In the morning the staff refunded me with no quibbles.

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
I'd have asked to be put up in another nearby hotel for 2 nights at their expense.
That just wasn’t going to happen mate. The guy at reception couldn’t even warrant a refund. It’s a faceless empire, everything done online. The minions on the reception just get both barrels

Swim Jim

Site Supporter
Just an update. This morning I received an automated survey from them allowing me to give a frank review of our experience. Also the option to leave a tripadvisor review(which I will decline for now). Hopefully a similar outcome to @John Step will occur

DFL

Site Supporter
I got an email from Premier Inn asking for a review on a stay at the Romford Central hotel.
When I got to the any problem bit I put down that the revolving plug didnt work in the basin and I had hurt my thumb trying to operate it and I was met with a laugh when I informed the manager.

My night fee was immediately refunded.

On another occasion at Luton I was stripped and getting into bed when the door opened by key and two giggly delicious young ladies entered the room a bit worse for wear. They had been given the key to the wrong room.
Unfortunately I was with my wife!

In the morning the staff refunded me with no quibbles.

Those two ladies would have given you a good night guaranteed Pete,