Premier League

mickthechippy

space cadet
Site Supporter
no it dont, ive never heard that, its a name thats be used as long as ive been following football

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
I used it but was pulled up by Walshy and appologised straight away.
During my time in the Rn I heard and saw a lot of things, a mate of mine (From Dudley) and me were sat in a pub just off Union St In PLymouth, a group fo civvie lads were in there, talking about football, one of them referred to United using the 'M' word, next thing I know one of those porcelain ash trays is winging it's way in the lads direction and catches him on the chest.
Steve a big lad, looks at him and says to him, next time you use that word it'll be aimed at yer ead. Dudley lads didn't like Big Dunc being mocked

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
no it dont, ive never heard that, its a name thats be used as long as ive been following football
Well heres a history lesson.
Duncan Edwards was a Dudley lad, and West Brom had had their eye on him for some time, Man United also had.
Busby got wind that WBA were about to offer Dunc a contract so he and Jimmy Murphy drove from Manchester to sign him from under WBA's noses.
West Brom fans ( his local club) never forgave him.
After he died at Munich, a song was first heard at the Hawthorns, referring to Dunc "rotting in his grave, like manure" the term over the years spread to the team and because of TV shortening the name to "Man U".
A group of fans (including me) have campaigned long and hard for years to get TV companies to use "Man Utd" and not "Man U" players are told not to use it, although some still do.
When a new player is signed for the club, he gets a letter from us telling him the history, and why the term should not be used.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Never ever heard of that and I'm a northerner, without taking the pee would you care to elaborate and explain?
Are you a United supporter, have you ever read the fans history of United ?
Many years agop I ran with the Red Army, and got into more than one scrap over it, My Dad also related the story to me

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Allegedly it's a reference to a song sung by WBA fans relating to Duncan Edwards death. however in all the years I've been going to football matches I've never heard it sung.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Are you a United supporter, have you ever read the fans history of United ?
Many years agop I ran with the Red Army, and got into more than one scrap over it, My Dad also related the story to me

In answer to your questions its no and no but why would I want to , I'm not a united supporter, when I go to the game its Middlesboro I watch and support

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Allegedly it's a reference to a song sung by WBA fans relating to Duncan Edwards death. however in all the years I've been going to football matches I've never heard it sung.
It died out in the sixties, West Brom the club frowned on it, even back then, and it was just a core of fans, like it always is.
It was resurrected unintentionally with TV abbbreviating to "Man U" I think it opened old wounds for United fans

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
In answer to your questions its no and no but why would I want to , I'm not a united supporter, when I go to the game its Middlesboro I watch and support
Which probably answers the question as to why you never heard it, and age probably.

*Please see earlier posts

crackatoa

Site Supporter
It died out in the sixties, West Brom the club frowned on it, even back then, and it was just a core of fans, like it always is.
It was resurrected unintentionally with TV abbbreviating to "Man U" I think it opened old wounds for United fans
Been an Everton fan forever, season ticket holder for over 30 years. Followed them home and away. Still do occasionally. Been to OT lots of times. Been there for matches not involving Everton. Testimonials when they played Celtic, as well as other games when pals have had a spare and I wasn't going watching my own team. I can go back to when Everton were the main Merseyside rivals to Utd, long before the Kopites decided they hated them, which only came about when SAF started winning trophies. But in all honesty and with respect I have never heard of the reasons you have given for 'manure' being a derogatory term.

Dusty

Site Supporter
Ive followed football all my life and never knew that’s where the term originated from, I just always assumed it was a wind up name suggesting they were rubbish!

Every day is a school day I suppose!

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I would suggest most folk use the term manure in relation to united without any reference to the Duncan Edwards jibe and probably outside of United fans and WBA fans there wont be anyone with the slightest knowledge of that

Most folk who use the term "manure" do so to take the pee a bit and infer that they're just a sh*te team

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say followed United pretty avidly until I was about 20 (as I matured I realised that rugby and cricket were much better sports ;)) and have to say I didn't know that either. The fact that chant ever existed let alone some chants that go on now are part of a long list of things that are wrong with football. Just wouldn't happen with any regularity in any other sport.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I have a mate who is a Man U fan, NEVER misses a game home away and abroad and he comes to my place at least once a week
and i sit there while he reels off all his Man U crowd songs and chants and to be honest some are pretty nasty,SO it goes both
ways..............if you dish it out you,ve got to expect it back............too oversensitive.

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
I have a mate who is a Man U fan, NEVER misses a game home away and abroad and he comes to my place at least once a week
and i sit there while he reels off all his Man U crowd songs and chants and to be honest some are pretty nasty,SO it goes both
ways..............if you dish it out you,ve got to expect it back............too oversensitive.
Fair enough, but my friends best mates uncles dog walker says I'm not.
I don't know of any United chants/songs that mock the dead in the way Liverpool and City fans do.
But I bow to your mate ( who never told you not to call us "ManU" )