Prebaiting a swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp1886

Site Supporter
my local water holds alot of big tench and bream but is very large and deep so it usually means that a very long wait is needed before the fish move in, (thats if they do). ive wondered if i prebait then il have a better chance to get bites and catch fish earlier on.
How much bait should i put in to prebait a swim? and how many days before i plan to fish should i do it? all comments appreciated, thanx

EvilD

How big is the water, also any features like lilly pads around the swims.
I use to jsut bait up the swim with a sweetcorn/ hemp / maggot / groundbait mix when turnt up first thing then got took 45 mins to set up get comfty have a brew.

For larger waters try pva bags full of free offering :D

Cyprinus

the longer you prebait the better it will be, i'd use around 1kg of groundbait half a kg of pellets few handfuls of corn and meat, and about a pint of maggots and around half a pint of pinkies

if you can rake the swim aswell it will be worth it

Last edited:

Don

Find the fish first and then prebait over a period of anything from three days to a week or more. Try and prep your baits to carry a slightly different flavour or colour/feeding trigger in order that the fish will become accustomed to your baits that way you wont be prebaiting for someone elses advantage. Be a bit cagey because some anglers watch you prebait and then jump in the peg on the day you planned to fish it!

chrishowe425

i had that problem last year .

prebaited a swim with 3 kilos of boilies 2 days before i planned to fish it and when i turned up there was another angler fishing it.

and he had the first 30lb carp from the lake over my baited swim[V]

EvilD

if your gonan prebait in advance might be worth asking the owner if u can camp the swim and not fish till morning :D

Status
Not open for further replies.