Pre tied hooks

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always tie my own but on the odd occasion I do use pre tied, there's no denying the quality.

Question is, how are they tied? A machine or got an assembly line somewhere with people tying them? I'd assume the former, but does anyone know the ins and outs?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I recall a member saying that Drennan hooklengths are all tied by hand

I think it was @RMNDIL

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hand tied! 😲 I've been audited in jobs before but it must be unreal if doing it by hand, they must have a special tier, not for consumer use. :LOL:

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Hand tied! 😲 I've been audited in jobs before but it must be unreal if doing it by hand, they must have a special tier, not for consumer use. :LOL:
No way are they tied by hand in that sense, They're definitely using some type of tier if they're done manually. Even with the most skilled tiers I'm doubtful they'd be able to churn out enough hooks per day to keep up with demand let alone make it profitable at £3 / packet. Even at slave wages.

I'm unsure on Drennan, But I highly doubt most of these companies are employing people to tie their hook lengths by hand, and I'll assume they're done automatically using machines.

ravey

I’m not sure about the bigger manufacturers, but I understand that some local tackle shops to me were supplied by a guy who tied them by hand (and would provide a service to anglers enquiring directly).

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It doesn't matter how they are tied, it's the quality of the materials used. Last weekend the Mrs and I went for a session up to Sunrise Lakes for a bit of method feeder fishing, I had just got the 9' Tri-Cast feeder to trial..
Normally I tie my own, but with work and pleasure time taking a respite I bought some pre tied Preston 4" hooklinks with the banded hair. Size 12, so no messing about with a 8lb breaking strain. This should be enough ammunition to subdue most fish surely?
It would appear not! One hooklink snapped at the eye, playing a fish well below the rated breaking strain, the next hookup was a big fish and it hit the clip on it's first run. I was expecting the line to break as I could not get the clip undone quickly enough but no, the hook simply opened up.
I'm going back to hand tied. Yeah it takes me an age to do being half blind but I have more confidence in my own hand tied than any pre made purchased options.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I was told by the ex manager of one of the biggest companies that hooks to nylon were tied by Ladies in the far east same as most rods were whipped by Ladies.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I use pre-tied.. I used to tie me own down to a size 24... now I can't see a 24... pudgy arthritic fingers mean shop bought rigs.. Guru for preference for Proper carp fishing I still tie my own... can tie a basic carp hair rig in less than a minute

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use pre-tied.. I used to tie me own down to a size 24... now I can't see a 24... pudgy arthritic fingers mean shop bought rigs.. Guru for preference for Proper carp fishing I still tie my own... can tie a basic carp hair rig in less than a minute
My eyes are going, my dad says I need an eye test.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No idea how they are done but the quality of the pretied drennans and kamasans I use is far better than what I can tie. I have no recollection of one ever pig tailing on me or breaking before you’d expect it to.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I tie all of my own for the river and regular feeder fishing, but I do buy method hook lenths, I do so little of this method buying a few packs for convenience is far easier, and they actually come in sizes and line strength with a band or spike or rapid stop. I've had the odd one or two fail, I put it down to me pulling to hard as there only 4 inch and made of pre stretch line while the stated breaking strain might be high they don't handle sudden shock as well, that's my theory anyway.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't use pre tied hooks enough to really have an opinion on their quality, but the reason I tie my own is I can get a bigger variety of hook size to diameter.

MikeT Amman

Site Supporter
Having spent a short time working in factories, you’d be surprised at how quickly you can make something after doing it for 8 - 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I would t doubt they’re tied by hand, and extremely quickly.

chris1967

Site Supporter
perfection right there ,the rest i tie me sen

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 9

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
the majority of bulk manufacturers pre tied hooklngths are tied using CNC machines,

the days of hundreds of womn earning pin money tying by hand are long gone

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I always tie my own, eyed or spade. That way I know the quality, diameter etc. of the line.