Pre shotting wagglers

Silasfish

As a newbie, it takes me ages to plumb up and correctly shot my waggler (I'm a rod fisherman, not pole). Particularly with the very small shot. My fingers are a bit clumsy and arthritic so placing the shot on the line is not a quick process.
I'd like to take part in a club match, even though no chance of winning, but worry that I won't set up my tackle in time for the all in.
I've seen talk of pre-shotting waggler rigs and storing them on winders, what are the pros and cons? As well as the speed I imagine it helps prevent line damage from applying the shot straight onto a mainline?
Other questions I have are:
How long should the line be on these pre shotted rigs, particularly if you don't know the depth of the water you're fishing in? If you tie these loop to loop you are limited by how can you move your float stops and shot over the knots?
If your line is preshotted, what should you do during plumbing as it wouldn't indicate when too shallow (idea I had were plumbing with an unloaded float and fishing with a loaded float, does anyone do this or are there better ways)?

Any other thoughts or tips?

Sorry if this is a basic or stupid question but I hope your experience will give me some useful pointers.

SteveAmo

As an alternative you could leave your waggler rod set up and put in a ready rod hold-all.

If you use a quick change float adapter you could wrap your hook and rig on a pole winder and just take your float off and store it in your tackle box.

Have a word in you’re local tackle shop they’ll put your right but don’t go in on a Friday or Saturday when they’re busy.

Hope that helps

Silasfish

As an alternative you could leave your waggler rod set up and put in a ready rod hold-all.

If you use a quick change float adapter you could wrap your hook and rig on a pole winder and just take your float off and store it in your tackle box.

Have a word in you’re local tackle shop they’ll put your right but don’t go in on a Friday or Saturday when they’re busy.

Hope that helps

Yes thank you.

How about plumbing with a fully shotted rig?

How would you go about it?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
When I pack up at the end of a match / session I nip the line off at either side of the float to leave the bulk shot ready for the next session. I carry a few dozen wagglers, just in case, but the half a dozen which I usually use are all left like this. I know that I just need to add a few 8's and 10's to shot them up correctly.

I also slide a thin section of float rubber on the line above the float as I like to plumb my wagglers up 'top and bottom' on the river as it is easy to get a false depth reading otherwise if you drag the float towards you or the current pulls on it. I plumb up without any shot at all on the line.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I use preloaded wagglers with float stops then fine tune them with soldering wire, for plumbing up I made a small oilvette with a swivel in one end and foam in the other, if you want to carry them premade on winders they don't have to have much line on them, or just carry them loose with a bit of line on and loop to loop them sliding the float stops over the loops.

20210706_102449.jpg 20210706_102638.jpg

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yes thank you.

How about plumbing with a fully shotted rig?

How would you go about it?
Use a plummet as usual. Set the float shallow and deepen up until it shows on the surface.

One thing I have done when using wagglers a lot is to shot each waggler at home and make a note of the shot required. I then painted a dot or band on the float with a different colour for each shot size and the number of bands equalling the number of those shot needed. I did the same with stick floats. If you can't do this at home then have a session on a lake doing it.

IMG_20210706_113852337[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210706_113847637[1].jpg
    IMG_20210706_113847637[1].jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I do the same and initially shot floats up at home to see what they actually take. Some are miles out. For wagglers I write the correct bulk shotting on the float in white paint using a ink pen with a nib, then varnish over it, eg 3BB, 3 1/2 AAA etc. My stick floats were marked up 6 x 8, 8 x 6, 10 x 4 etc depending on the size of them. I now convert this to no.8's as times have changed regarding the sizes of shot we are using on these rigs.

Silasfish

I use preloaded wagglers with float stops then fine tune them with soldering wire, for plumbing up I made a small oilvette with a swivel in one end and foam in the other, if you want to carry them premade on winders they don't have to have much line on them, or just carry them loose with a bit of line on and loop to loop them sliding the float stops over the loops.

20210706_102449.jpg 20210706_102638.jpg
So with the solder wire, is the float sunk at the depth you require? What about other shotting down the line, just micro shot I assume? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Silasfish

Use a plummet as usual. Set the float shallow and deepen up until it shows on the surface.

One thing I have done when using wagglers a lot is to shot each waggler at home and make a note of the shot required. I then painted a dot or band on the float with a different colour for each shot size and the number of bands equalling the number of those shot needed. I did the same with stick floats. If you can't do this at home then have a session on a lake doing it.

IMG_20210706_113852337[1].jpg
Great idea

Silasfish

Just as an additional question, how do you experienced anglers add shot on tthe bank without damaging the line?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
So with the solder wire, is the float sunk at the depth you require? What about other shotting down the line, just micro shot I assume? Sorry if I'm being thick.
I would generally fish wagglers in winter on commercials so just fish corn for a slow drop, you can add number 10s down the line if you wish, just use less solder wire.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Just as an additional question, how do you experienced anglers add shot on tthe bank without damaging the line?
I use Anchor non toxic shot, and the softest lead 8's and below I can find (some old ZLT and the green coated Maver shot). I set up on the bank and apply it carefully. I have never had any issues with it damaging the line.

I bought some of the Dinsmore Twin Cut stuff last season after watching a James Robbins video but I don't like it and will switch back to the Anchor.

I'm talking about float fishing on rivers by the way.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Just don't worry about it. I have no recollection of ever having line break because of shot (or Stotz) damage. You may crush or flatten the line but IMHO that does not weaken it. Plus on the waggler you will be putting shot on traditional mono that is very robust.

alsur

Site Supporter
Since I've gotten older I struggle to put small shot on line I now use flat nose jewellers pliers. Like Neal I don't think you damage line when putting shot on unless you apply a lot of pressure, moving none toxic shot on line can be a problem but so long as you squeeze them on lightly you can move them even if you have to loosen them slightly by pushing finger nail into slot.

I keep my 12 ft two piece rod made up in ready rod cases without float just adapter, longer 3 piece rods I do on day and using above don't find it that hard.

Silasfish

I would generally fish wagglers in winter on commercials so just fish corn for a slow drop, you can add number 10s down the line if you wish, just use less solder wire.
I like the soldering wire idea. I like to fish on the drop so I think this will suit me well

alsur

Site Supporter
just bought some of these with the stotta tool and Ill give them a go. Thanks
Stotz are a lot easier to put on than shot I use them on all my pole rigs, you can use stotta to put on normal split shot instead of flat nose pliers I sometimes do.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Buy yourself one of these,they nip shot on but more importantly they take small shot or stotz of easily if you overshot your float,I wouldn't be without mine.