Pre Match Preparation - How far do you go?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you one of those who researches everything they can about the venue, baits, tactics, pegs, etc, or do you just bung your tackle in the car as it was left from the last time and just turn up, wanging it on the day ? :D

Years back I used to be quite anal about my pre-match planning, now apart from buying a few maggots, most of the time my tackle is as I left it 🙈

spooky1966

Site Supporter
tend to fish the same venue now so not too much of a problem, just make sure i have enough rigs made up and with tackle shops on site now makes a big difference to yesteryear then i would be prepping all week for a big match

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Are you one of those who researches everything they can about the venue, baits, tactics, pegs, etc, or do you just bung your tackle in the car as it was left from the last time and just turn up, wanging it on the day ? :D

Years back I used to be quite anal about my pre-match planning, now apart from buying a few maggots, most of the time my tackle is as I left it 🙈
Back in the 90's when I was captain of our clubs team I used to get the lads out to practice the venues and sort rigs and methods... when the team folded me and a buddy used to practice at the club match venues the week before... then after a while we just didn't bother as it was a lottery... you practice in one spot and draw another... venue knowledge is all fine but it goes out the window if they ain't having it

Stokie

Site Supporter
Read up. Watch vids. Check results online (to see if there're any patterns on what baits / tactics are working currently). Re-tie rigs etc...

smiffy

Site Supporter
Ringing people was the main part of prep for me. Just picking anyones brains to find out what the crack was and any up to date info. Roach are Roach, Bream are Bream but venues can have little nuances that it’s nice to know about before turning up.
I had four drawers of rigs for different types of venues. A drawer for canals, a draw for fen drains, one for rivers like the Yare etc etc. But if I didn’t feel like I had it covered I would make up more rigs. I hated butchering/shortening rigs on the bank and if I did I would always remake them once I got home. All I would do then is change drawers on my box depending on where I was going.
Then all I would do is try to have bait that was as good as it could be. Casters being the most important and, hopefully, big, fat, milkbread fed squatt👍 All maggot was riddled, cleaned and had fresh dust.
Then I’d turn up and draw a pig😂

Total

Site Supporter
I was never talented enough to just turn up to a match (open or club match) and 'wing it'. Preparation as far as I'm concerned is all part of the day and the better prepared I am the better my framing chances should I draw a decent peg and make it pay. You just have to except the draw bag decides your destiny for the day and enjoying your day for what it is, good or bad.

Ringing around for up to date info' maybe visiting said venue and getting a feel for the place if possible and knowing what depths of water and prevailing wind directions etc all form part of my plan and then preparing fishing tackle for my day. A few hours each week to keep on top of the monotonous tasks so it isn't a major problem.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When I fished junior matches every Sunday, we would have a fortnightly meeting where tactics were discussed, then Saturday would be my prep day. I would tie rigs and hooks and sort out tackle. Of course, years since I've fished a match and I dislike making rigs and hooks up these days.

When we fished national matches we would travel to the venue to practise as a team.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I just go and enjoy the day out.
I had more than enough of competing when I was working. Now I’m retired, life’s too short time worry about whether somebody else catches more fishes in a certain time than I do.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Ringing people was the main part of prep for me. Just picking anyones brains to find out what the crack was and any up to date info. Roach are Roach, Bream are Bream but venues can have little nuances that it’s nice to know about before turning up.
I had four drawers of rigs for different types of venues. A drawer for canals, a draw for fen drains, one for rivers like the Yare etc etc. But if I didn’t feel like I had it covered I would make up more rigs. I hated butchering/shortening rigs on the bank and if I did I would always remake them once I got home. All I would do then is change drawers on my box depending on where I was going.
Then all I would do is try to have bait that was as good as it could be. Casters being the most important and, hopefully, big, fat, milkbread fed squatt👍 All maggot was riddled, cleaned and had fresh dust.
Then I’d turn up and draw a pig😂
similar to Smiffy I have different sets of winders for different types of venues. But I also change the rods and poles (and sometimes reels) for different venues as well. Usually only takes 10-15 minutes the night before. I actually have a whole separate luggage set (box, rod holdall and net bag) for canal and drain fishing .... which helps.

Bait prep is more time - I turn my own casters and also like to mix my groundbait the night before if possible (I prefer a more inert mix).

I've done the whole team practice thing 30 years ago ... and it had its uses (lanky canal and first time using jokers, for example) but only fish in fun leagues now ... generally on waters that I know to some extent.

I did actually practice (alone) last year for a festival - where one of the three sections I had a terrible previous record on ... I figured out a couple of methods that I then had some confidence in and won my section on that day ... so it can be worth doing.
But I've also done well the first time visiting a new venue on a number of occasions - so perhaps turning up unprepared has its advantages? ;)

Warden

Site Supporter
Not so much nowadays as I mainly fish the same venue for my match action,its about 3 acres so plenty of somewhere else for the fish to be lol.
Last match (away) was the maggotdrowners match at Lindholme on a lake I had not fished before so had a sneaky practice the week prior picked a random peg found out what worked and what did not, plodded away for a section win,
ps. drew the same peg in the match so practice and luck do play their part..:p:p:p

smiffy

Site Supporter
similar to Smiffy I have different sets of winders for different types of venues. But I also change the rods and poles (and sometimes reels) for different venues as well. Usually only takes 10-15 minutes the night before. I actually have a whole separate luggage set (box, rod holdall and net bag) for canal and drain fishing .... which helps.

Bait prep is more time - I turn my own casters and also like to mix my groundbait the night before if possible (I prefer a more inert mix).

I've done the whole team practice thing 30 years ago ... and it had its uses (lanky canal and first time using jokers, for example) but only fish in fun leagues now ... generally on waters that I know to some extent.

I did actually practice (alone) last year for a festival - where one of the three sections I had a terrible previous record on ... I figured out a couple of methods that I then had some confidence in and won my section on that day ... so it can be worth doing.
But I've also done well the first time visiting a new venue on a number of occasions - so perhaps turning up unprepared has its advantages? ;)
Confidence is a massive part of it and practicing a venue can give you that.
Im sure we’ve all had venues or sections that we’ve considered to be our bogey venue. Then one day you get a pick up and after a few months you wonder what all the fuss is about.

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
I was never talented enough to just turn up to a match (open or club match) and 'wing it'. Preparation as far as I'm concerned is all part of the day and the better prepared I am the better my framing chances should I draw a decent peg and make it pay. You just have to except the draw bag decides your destiny for the day and enjoying your day for what it is, good or bad.

Ringing around for up to date info' maybe visiting said venue and getting a feel for the place if possible and knowing what depths of water and prevailing wind directions etc all form part of my plan and then preparing fishing tackle for my day. A few hours each week to keep on top of the monotonous tasks so it isn't a major problem.
i'm not that good either bud ,i fish the same places all the time and i only use rigs once and retie them , i meant i dont do prep on bait

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter

When running matches was very anal on kit and bait prep.
Anglers drawing first had 20-30 mins set up time more than me once draw finished, envelopes sorted and draw kit packed away.
Our venues had pegs suited to either pole, waggler, bomb and feeder, some pegs only suited one method, on others up to all four may come into play.
So I had to be ready for anything having less than an hour to set out stall, kit, bait etc. Had to have rods pre set up and pole rigs to suit each peg.

Specimen angling, more time spent on research and reconnaissance.
No point turning up with prepped float fishing kit when fish get caught at 80yards over a gravel bar for example.

Mike_Globe

Trying very hard to catch big carp
Site Supporter
I’ve always been a massive preparer, either back in my match fishing days or more recently now I’m carping. Probably to the point of being obsessed with it 🙈😂

I actually enjoy the process of preparing, researching and planning sessions as it’s the next best thing to actually fishing! I also think it’s a real advantage in a session to have the right kit ready, tying rigs/hooks on the bank massively slows me down!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
When I fished matches I’d try to get every scrap of info I could about the venue and what was producing the results then I’d prepare accordingly with rigs, bait, etc.

I did OK back in the day so in my head the slog was all worth it.

Nowadays I think I’d do exactly the same - even for going pleasure fishing on a local commercial in 2 weeks time I’ve already trawled FB and internet to see what I need for a productive day.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got a pretty good idea what I'm gonna need for most of our match venues - although I do always try to squeeze in one new venue (or new lake at the same complex) every year.
Generally my preparation amounts to tipping out the holdall, perusing my selection of made-up rods and carefully considering what I'm likely to need for my next trip - in other words bunging the same rods back in it again..
Trip to the tackle shop for maggots, casters and possibly worms and the supermarket for corn and meat - and that's about it.

Simon