Pre-match plumbing up

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Something I struggle with is shotting my rigs accurately to leave the desired amount of bristle showing when fishing.

Frequently I end up with too much bristle showing, also not enough sometimes. Easy to rectify on the bank, but can take a bit of time to get it just right. I do use a disapiombo thingy at home but it’s not always 100% accurate.

When plumbing up before a match, is it permitted to test your float without a plummet on to test shotting and bristle visibility? I know you’re allowed to plumb up, but strictly speaking this is not plumbing up.

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Something I struggle with is shotting my rigs accurately to leave the desired amount of bristle showing when fishing.

Frequently I end up with too much bristle showing, also not enough sometimes. Easy to rectify on the bank, but can take a bit of time to get it just right. I do use a disapiombo thingy at home but it’s not always 100% accurate.

When plumbing up before a match, is it permitted to test your float without a plummet on to test shotting and bristle visibility? I know you’re allowed to plumb up, but strictly speaking this is not plumbing up.

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie
Yes you are, as long as you don’t test it with a bait on 👍

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Yes, "testing the float" as in MMR 13.

13. Before the starting signal no competitor must on any account groundbait or loose feed the swim but will be allowed to wet a line, plumb the depth and test the float, mix and wet groundbait, clear his/her ground of weed or obstructions and position his/her equipment. On no account must a feeder be used before the starting signal. A ledger weight may be cast to find depth and distance etc, but at no time must the line be left in the water whilst continuing to set up other tackle.

Nicky Dodds

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie
Thereby lies your problem....dosapiombo. Too much margin for error. Shot the float in a tall jar or even a bucket. And before anyone jumps in with meniscus or surface tension I've been using a sweet jar for over 30 years and can get pretty accurate. Put the float on the line then shot it up in the jar or bucket its foolproof.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
At home pre shot your floats to the top of the body then fine tune at the venue so you get the correct amount of bristle showing. 2 or 3 no.11 stotz either directly below the float or at the bulk. You can also add them as backshot and slide them down to the float to suit conditions if the tow increases.

rudd

Site Supporter
a good thing to keep in your box is a pot of sensas bristle grease

helps with the slight overshotting of floats, a slight dip or wipe with it solves that problem
in reverse lick your bristle to remove grease when making up rig😉

ATTICUS FINCH

a good thing to keep in your box is a pot of sensas bristle grease

helps with the slight overshotting of floats, a slight dip or wipe with it solves that problem
Bog standard vaseline does for me Mickle, I use it for sex as well .........I put it on the bedroom door knob so the kids can't get in whilst me and the Mrs are ....well you can work that bit out. Lol 😜

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
Bog standard vaseline does for me Mickle, I use it for sex as well .........I put it on the bedroom door knob so the kids can't get in whilst me and the Mrs are ....well you can work that bit out. Lol 😜
I use it for sex as well mate. but after 43 years of marriage I put it on the door handle so SHE can't get in!

JLK

If you don't have a shotting tube and you are struggling to shot the floats right you could try and use number 9's exclusively to shot the rig as they are 0.05g which is a good starting shot as it's easy to work out how many number 9's you'll need by just doubling the weight of the float size.

So if using a 0.6 gram float you can just double the size to 1.2 = 12 number 9's
If a 0.4g float double it = 0.8 = 8 number 9's and so on and so forth.

I would then knock a number 9 off and add 3 x number 11's or 4 x 12's as trimming shot above the last number 9 closest to the float to trim the bristle up.

On the bank you may need to just add a couple more number 11's or 12's to get it bang on.

Obviously in the higher sizes you could use number 8's to get away with less shot in the bulk (if you use one), but until you get a feel for what your floats take it's a relatively easy method to start with taking little to no effort to get right.